GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Really? I thought they were generally 9-10lbs.

2 Likes

Generally, I have seen a few under

4 Likes

Those would be keepers yeah

3 Likes

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/4003AC--rickenbacker-al-cisneros-signature-4003-natural

This is a signature model, but I have seen the mahogany, black, and dayglo come in under 9. I wont buy a bass unless I can get the weight before buying, life is too short.

3 Likes

I never feel like mine is heavy at all.
That said I have a Hipshot aluminum bridge which probably drops the weight a bit.
Ricks are super comfortable and I never notice a weight thing Vs my aerodynes.

Time to get the scale out again …

4 Likes

Another (different seller) 8x10 Cab just appeared near me. It’s like the Bass Gods are speaking to me :face_with_monocle:

9 Likes

I see a business opportunity converting these into coffins for old rockers.
Hell if Gene Simmons can sell coffins…
All we need is someone good at carpentry…hmmmmm

7 Likes

If it was closer I’d just like to play through it to feel was 8x10 was like.

For almost the same money. I can buy a Fender Rumble 500. Which is the next logical step.

However I like your business idea. :coffin:

6 Likes

Yes! I definently want my cremation to happen with me in an 8x10. That would be AWESOME!
:metal::sunglasses::metal:

9 Likes

Don’t look now, Eric, but such a scenario would officially make you one of the grateful dead.

4 Likes

I’ve… become quite a Schecter fan, turns out. I love my little Stiletto Extreme 4; the neck and body make for the most comfortable bass I’ve played, and I love the sound of it. So I ordered an upgrade:

It’s a Stiletto Custom 4. I just got the shipping notice from Schecter, and they’re about an hour and a half from my house, so I expect it tomorrow, I hope.

I love the look of that thing. Same body shape as my Extreme, but the natural finish is awesome. It’s a mahogany body with a walnut and flamed maple top, a maple and walnut neck, and a rosewood fretboard. Unlike my Extreme, it has EMG pickups and an EMG preamp, with an S-Tek bridge.

EDIT: As of 6:52 AM on Tuesday, 11/8, it’s on the truck for delivery. Woot!

16 Likes

Those are nice.
I had a 5 string I liked, but wanted a 4 string version and sold it.
Never got a 4 string version yet, but someday, probably

5 Likes

I really liked my Schecter too and stupidly sold it in one of my must have a different bass fads

4 Likes

I used to play with the Ampeg 8x10 and it’s the best bass cab I’ve ever experienced. At the time I had a pretty crappy amp head (Ashdown) and it still sounded impressive with this cab.

4 Likes

no. the Ampeg 8x10 is way better.

4 Likes

But my back!! :smile:

7 Likes

the Ampeg 8x10 is way better.

3 Likes

I have a South Korean made Schecter guitar, and the bang for the buck on these Schecters is so great. They make great stuff. Some day, I hope to be able to get my hands on their Banshee short scale bass to see how it feels. Nowhere around me has had one in stock.

That Stiletto Custom 4 is a great looking bass. Almost too nice. Like you’ll want to wear gloves to handle it.

6 Likes

So my GAS just flared up today when I saw the new Darkglass 200 watt heads. 2 of em! I love the Darkglass sound and not much more than the pedal cost.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Micro200--darkglass-microtubes-200-v2-200-watt-bass-head

And

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Alpha200--darkglass-alpha-omega-200-200-watt-bass-head

2 Likes

Lobster reviewed it recently. Apparently it’s quite heavy, and the pickups seem a bit too bright for my liking. Something that could probably be fixed easily with a set of different strings, or by changing the pickups altogether. Still seems like a solid modding/upgrade platform.

5 Likes