GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Best (for you, worst for me) since I moved here.

3 Likes

Yeah well, it’s all about me. Seriously, strike while the iron is hot.

7 Likes

:grin: :joy: :rofl:

5 Likes

No bass :laughing: but I love these!!

Although for just £120 + shipping, seriously considering a Harley Benton PJ-4 SBK Deluxe Series too :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Facebook algorithm popped this website up on me last night. Never heard of them, but they look pretty cool.

Apollo Electric Carbon FiberBass – KLOS Guitars

2 Likes

They’ve been reviewed online for a while now. A quick search will get you a list of videos.

1 Like

Did you strike? @Wombat-metal Seems the bass is no longer listed at Ikebe.

:eyes:

Edit: Just curious, it seems someone did me a favor de-gassing me on that one. :joy:

4 Likes

Sadly no, no new basses on the way or even on the horizon

2 Likes

This has been popping up on my Facebook as well. Interesting bass

1 Like

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but is the Harley Benton hype real? I’ve watched multiple “unaffiliated” reviews on youtube, all positive. I’ve also heard other musicians through various podcasts talk about how shocked they were at how good these basses are for the price after playing one. The prices and reviews on Thomann cannot be ignored but is it all too good to be true? I know there is no middle man so that’s part of the reason they can get the costs down but sub $200 (sometimes sub $100!!!) for clones of several hundred dollar or more basses that claim to have great tones and good build quality??? Say it aint so.

4 Likes

The answer is, it depends. Yes you can get a good one. You can also get a bad one. At the low price point shortcuts are taken and low bid parts suppliers are making stuff like bridges, pots, switches, pickups, etc… Sometimes you get a gem, other times you don’t. But for the most part you will have a serviceable instrument that might only need a pro set up to play and sound fine. It might be heavier than a much more expensive instrument. But for what they are, should serve you fine until you figure out your sound, and feel preference.

6 Likes

It’s a roll of the dice. I got a bad one, but others get perfectly good ones. Tone was fine, build quality was terrible.

7 Likes

All in all, bad or good, you at least get what you paid for (bad one) but usually get a lot more value for your money and good upgrade platforms.

They are good as beginner stuff for sure.
Even intermediate. Goes for all their instruments not just bass/guitar

6 Likes

This here is not about a bass, but a regular guitar, but they are probably made in the same factory to similar standards:

6 Likes

The seafoam green and daphne blue one with Gotoh hardware look tasty :drooling_face:
Good enough I’m out of space :rofl:

4 Likes

HBs are pretty common here in Europe and I’ve been able to try quite a few of them.
With one exception they’ve been perfectly serviceable and good VFM, and for the one that wasn’t good, Thomann shipped a replacement without any fuss.

I had the HB pictured below for a few months and I’d say it was really good value for money and a great basis for upgrades. The woodwork was really well done with a neck and fretwork on a par with a MIM player series for example. The pickups were a bit weak and would merit an upgrade, the tuners were pretty cheap but serviceable but otherwise it was excellent for a Bass costing less than 60% the price of a S.U.B. Ray.

10 Likes

I was looking at that exact model in fretless thinking to myself how good it looked and how I could experiment in fretless for under $300.

5 Likes

It’s definitely a looker.
It is heavy though. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It looks like a rebranded Cort Artisan model. I had one that looked just like it but it was a 4 string.

2 Likes

I can’t seem to help myself. I had to have the P Bass…it matched my jazz bass. :sweat:

21 Likes