GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

How do you think I can afford good gear?
Cheap furnishings.
The entire music room is IKEA furniture

Fixed typo, thanks!

5 Likes

Welcome to the Aerodyne family, Tim!

8 Likes

I have shared my “history” somewhere in this forum, in a nutshell: played basic stuff in the 90’s, now restarted, close to finish B2B (starting module 16 tomorrow after signing up late February but had some business trips…), on the side already learned 7 full songs I can fully follow on Youtube and Saturday I assumed to join my friends’ band for a little jamming (hence the songs from their list). Admitted to have some GAS symptoms as already owning 3 basses (one from the past but purchased 2 already during ~1.5 months) and now can’t stop watching ads and reviews on some combo upgrade. I jumped into a Fender Rumble 25 and I already know it’ll not be sufficient for any jamming (I mean powerwise definitely can’t keep up with drums).
So… My eyes keep coming back to Markbass stuff, especially the Players School combo as it can deliver 150W in itself and 250 later by adding extension cab; pricewise about the limit I want to spend (on top of everything now :stuck_out_tongue: ) now in Hungary for around ~580USD. All reviews say Markbass stuff is extremely light to carry but sounds warm still close to original equipment sound. Drawback: no headphones out (for silent practice here at home).
My question: what would be comparable / similar combos you’d recommend as light, sufficient power for small gigs with nice sound (e.g. for my Squier Jazz bass) and still could keep my kidneys when purchasing? Please don’t bring “used but awesome” offers as I’d like to compare apples to apples (for now) :wink: Thanks in advance!

4 Likes

Yep welcome Tim. Hang on to that piano Black will be a classic hard to find in a few decades. I’m hanging on to mine

5 Likes

So, I got myself Push2 for Ableton. I read a couple of times that it’s just a glorified mouse and that you have to spend a year learning how to utilize it. But it just looks so slick. :smiley: Nonetheless, I spent quite some time and money trying to tie together all the stuff I have lying around, but there was always friction somewhere in the process. So I got this box delivered in the morning, spent some time setting it up and now after a couple of hours I can say, not only it’s really premium build quality, this is the tightest and most frictionless way how to play around with instruments, samples, effects I have tried, nothing comes even close. So easy just jam around and develop simple ideas. My mind is actually kind of blown away by how thought through the UX and UI experience in this one.

So, if by any chance someone here is an Ableton user, really “in tune” with the way how Ableton is designed. Try to play around with this box when you will have a chance. It’s really impressive.

8 Likes

Congrats, I was able to play one of those a few weeks ago and really liked it.

7 Likes

Nice! I love the KT-10. If you don’t look at it, it feels just like the pedal hitting the bass drum, but in reality it’s inverted and reverse, so it’s quite an awesome engineering.

Can you add Roland Cymbal pads to your Alesis multi-pad? I wonder if they use the same trigger signal. I pimped out my SPD-30 with kick pedal, hi-hat and crash. It was pretty fun.

3 Likes

Not sure but maybe? Assuming it’s straightforward like the kick. The hit-hat issue has something to do with resistance values etc. The Alesis hi-hat pedal seems to work fine. Took a minute to sort out how to set it up as there is zero documentation. And support never sent the video they promised even after I went back on and asked a second time.

Assign a pad to use for hit hat, assign it an open and a closed sound file. Tell it to use hi-hat control.
Go to hi-hat pedal, a sign it a sound for the “chic” sound (the sound of just closing the hi hat on its own.
Done. Now to build my own kit with oddball sounds. Lol

4 Likes

Cool man, I know that mesh pad is interchangeable between the 2 companies. Yamaha is using a different trigger signal so it would not work.

4 Likes

I don’t think I need cymbals. There 9 pads. One for high hat one for snare leaves me 7 for toms or cymbals. Way more than my coordination level at a basic to zero skill set. Lol.

5 Likes

Well for me it’s not really the amount of pads but where it plays, lol. Hi-hat on the side and crash/ride over the top and right.

3 Likes

4 Likes

well, i laughed

6 Likes

Non-bass object (sorry all).

My “thank you Japanese Yen exchange rate” low A bari has arrived in absolutely perfect condition.

Saxophones (esp new) usually don’t arrive without a few leaks or adjustments needed, but the good folks at Ikebe had gone over this before sending it out and it’s set up perfectly. Pretty amazing for a bari that went half way round the world.

15 Likes

Love the tone Bari sax generate, it’s so funky.

2 Likes

Oh man! It’s here. I was so sick and now suddenly I’m less sick, :joy:

Leland Sklar artist model Warwick Rockbass.

It’s very pretty my first semi-hollow bass. This is pretty great. There’s a little humming so time to go treasure hunting for the glorious hum. Luckily when I touch the pickups the hums is gone. Probably just pickup grounding.

It’s quite booming low and satisfying tone. No wonder Leland was using this 20 out of 25 album records in a season.

18 Likes

Love it!!!

5 Likes

Soooooo nice!

5 Likes

Thanks @Shibata and @John_E I was thinking about the German custom build but decided against the $14000 and 2 year wait, :joy:. The visible wires needs to be address first.

It’s actually not a semi-hollow but a chambered solid body unlike the standard starbass due to the offset horn for better dusty end access, which is even more interesting.

Any tips on hiding the wires? I’m about to head up to Stewmac to see what they have.

3 Likes

Looks great, Al! That second photo had me stumped a bit - what are we looking at there?? I guess there is just too much going on in the background - how about a nice easy-on-the-eyes rug instead? :joy:

7 Likes