GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

It is only available for pre-order here in the UK at the moment.
For the price ~£220, it is cheaper than many decent preamps.
I never had any multifx before. This one is the first that attracts me with its UI, touchscreen, price and form factor.

4 Likes

Another non bass object…

Before sax I played (and of course collected) trumpets. I only kept one from those days, a Conn 40B Vocabell, silver plated and art deco to the nines.

For about 15 years I’ve searched for other Conn horns with the same engraving and finally nabbed its 44H trombone sister. I played a tiny bit way back but bought it more for collection Vs playing. Needs a polish but the engraving is crisp and out of site.

The matching trumpet…

21 Likes

Very nice! I’ve always wanted a Trombone.

3 Likes

I need to grab a mouthpiece and dabble a bit.

5 Likes

A. Very nice.
B. This is now my first thought every time I see a trombone.

11 Likes

That looks so fantastic @John_E I’d love to play an instrument like that. I’m sure it’s a fingerprints magnet, lol.

3 Likes

I love Shell Pink. A mustang in it

So far the resistance is good. Just wishing for it at this point.

Really loving playing a short scale. More comfortable than I imagined it would be

11 Likes

He could wear little white gloves when playing

5 Likes

5 Likes

Add a beard and you got it

2 Likes

:roll_eyes: :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Obi Wan Kenobi voice: “these are the tones you’re looking for… A bassist’s power flows from the GAS…”

6 Likes

I gotta stop watching videos

11 Likes

I love the idea of HH Fenders. And the tort works nicely with Shell Pink (unlike if the pink were darker, where it wouldn’t.)

5 Likes

Yeah, the tort works here. I’ve been wanting a shell pink for a couple years now this might be the one

6 Likes

Yesterday, I saw an ad for Andertons that was marketing a shell pink Strat with a tort guard. It’s road worn just like the Flea Bass. They could make interesting twins. I’m not 100% into that relic-ing work though…

3 Likes

Wife and kids got me a fantastic birthday present!

I only have room for one more bass without re-organizing my whole studio and I had been going back and forth between getting a fretless or a 5 string. My wife, in her absolute brilliance, asked me “do they make a fretless 5 string?”

I had been looking at the 4 string fretless version of this and loved it then, when I saw they had it in 5 as well, I added it to my wish list at Sweetwater. Somehow, my wife found said wishlist and the guitar and…it was back ordered until October.

So she put her Google-Fu (or Bing Chun, if you prefer) to work and found a place out of California that still had a new one in stock and secretly ordered it for me (along with some LaBella flats that I had added to the list. Clever girl.). It arrived today and, after a quick setup (thank you @JoshFossgreen) and swapping the factory strings to the flats, I have been enjoying the heck out of it!

The way that it still has the markings helps keep me honest in my fretting and I’m starting to work the B string into my scales and noodling. Taking a long and smoooooth slide from 12 down or up to 12 sounds heavenly.

I’ve also started learning some of the funk bass lines that needed 5 strings.

Edit: In case anyone is wondering: set up on a fretless is, as it turns out, exactly the same as a fretted. You just take your measurements from the fretboard as opposed to the frets. The only difficult part is the intonation. You REALLY have to make sure you’re hitting the right spot on the 12th fret otherwise you’re going to be chasing the correct bridge config for far longer than you’d ever want to publicly admit.

20 Likes

I haven’t perfectly intonated my fretless yet, I find I am playing by sound now more than ever, and intonating by sound and feel when I fret. This is just me, but I think it’s changing how I approach playing for the better.

I don’t find fretless hard at all for the most part, some tricky lines like I Want You Back are a shambles now, but for the most part I’m fine, not a change.

Super looking bass and super nice wife to boot.

5 Likes

Thanks!

And I’m finding similar things in the short time I’ve had to play with it today. It’s REALLY exposing some shortcomings that I didn’t realize I had. Oddly enough, I thought it would wind up masking some of the problems I was actively working on (random buzzing because I fretted too high) but that isn’t the case at all. Between the accuracy needed and the more advanced muting required, I’m starting to think that if I actively practice on this one it’ll greatly improve my playing on the fretted basses.

I could be wrong though and, this being the internet, I’m sure someone will be by shortly to tell me so. :wink:

4 Likes

Oh yes. I am using this to do my practice for fundamentals on. Which is a 30 minute daily workout. I find that the finger I select to fret with makes a difference, the OFPF method really makes it easier to be accurate. Also I take in more input from the feel of the string vibrations. It’s like a new world has opened up and I’m digging it

4 Likes