GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

With recent I meant the Yamaha basses that I have seen on this forum lately. I never looked into Yamaha before. That PJ configuration you posted seems quite rare?

And @terb is that you in the video? :see_no_evil:

8 Likes

Yes - the SBV-500 (J/J) is uncommon itself, but the 550 (P/J) is even more rare; I have only seen four for sale in the last couple years. Two of them at the shop I was at today, one of which was already bought.

5 Likes

I think we have proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgIPoK2je20

10 Likes

I’m not a fan of black instrument @howard, but I love the SBV 550, and the blue 500 looks really good too ! about 1k seems to be the current prices …

@Paul yes it’s me :smiley: at the time I was more playing guitar on a bass … funny enough on this video you can see the Warwick and the Ashdown amps that I had, and the Korg Poly 800 that I still own.

12 Likes

Your taste in T-shirts has improved… :joy:

10 Likes

:joy:

7 Likes

Whoa, @howard . . . I could be there for days looking at all those basses :open_mouth:

8 Likes

I’m usually the same, but the matte black on that P-bass looks amazing to me. Likewise I am really liking the matte black on the BB734a:

There’s two problems with matte black. The first is it gets rubbed shiny and there’s no fix for it:

the second problem is from a distance they just look black.

9 Likes

also what I really don’t like with black instruments is that when you play on stage, the instrument is not really visible. I’ve always found this very strange.

that said a friend of mine gave me a black Esquire recently :

8 Likes

That’s an amazing pickguard.

4 Likes

I thought that sounded pretty Bad Ass!

It’s also pretty cool getting to see a Long Haired Laurent in the wild. :rofl:

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

5 Likes

I am really loving this band, and the name is classic.
good cover too.

3 Likes

This kind of drives that home:

Father, son, same bass, different colors :slight_smile:

It gets worse when it gets dark of course:

Which is probably why his usual BB1200S and his new signature bass are red:

That’s actually a traditional BB color and I wish it was around this time around, but none of the current models except the 234 have it. His signature model is unobtanium now and even if buyable the market has it at double the cost of the 734, which it is not worth (as an instrument).

6 Likes

Same here. I was looking for a white one before I was gifted the Ox Blood Honey Fade Jazz Bass. I’m not complaining.

One day, I would like to build one with a white body and headstock, and the Rosewood visible, extending through the body. I think that would look really cool. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Ok stop posting pictures of the SBV-550 :joy: I never knew I wanted one…until now

8 Likes

Imagine how I feel lol

That thing was in my hands, plays amazingly easily, sounds awesome. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Now I’m rather happy that I sold my stealth black BB735.

4 Likes

I still think it might be the one I would choose :slight_smile:

Not sure though. And I saw a ton of them yesterday.

5 Likes

Yamaha instruments are nearly impossible to get in the U.S. I would love to walk into a store and see a wall full of them.

6 Likes

The Force is seriously messing with @howard right now :rofl::joy:

6 Likes