GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Loved my VT Bass DI, for its brief existence.

3 Likes

Speaking of gas, yikes. This is across the street from the Union Station, China town.

2 Likes

Completely normal price anywhere else in the world :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, feel our pain and suffering :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Definitely not a big GAS moment, just sheet music and the Joyo MA10B (plus power bank not in the photo) for playing wherever I like.
Hopefully it will keep the more expensive impulses under control for a while longer :grin:

5 Likes

Pertaining to music books as GAS:
I had made a comparison of songs from two other sources for Bass:

When I compared the content of this “Ultimate Guitar Bass Bonanza” (50 songs) that @paolo.pfm showed to the other two, I see that 42 songs are unique to it (not in the first two collections). Only 8 songs are duplicates:

1. The Chain, by Fleetwood Mac (in all 3 sources)
  2. Creep, by Radiohead (Ultimate + HL First 50)
  3. Feel Good Inc., by Gorillaz (all 3)
  4. Livin’ On a Prayer, by Bon Jovi (Ultimate + HL)
  5. Money, Pink Floyd (all 3)
  6. My Generation, The Who (Ultimate + HL)
  7. Plush, by Stone Temple Pilots (Ultimate + HL)
  8. Santeria, by Sublime (Ultimate + HL)

Pretty good for minimal overlap, especially if you have both the “BassBuzz First 50 songs,” and/or the “Hal Leonard First 50 Songs.” Those two sources have 11 songs in common (in addition to the 3 shown in common to all three sources in the above 8: The Chain, Feel Good Inc., and Money), for a total of 14 duplicated songs out of each set of 50 songs (so 36 unique in each). The 11 other songs are:

1. Billie Jean, by Michael Jackson
  2. Blitzkrieg Bop, by Ramones
  3. Born Under a Bad Sign, by Albert King
  4. Come As You Are, by Nirvana
  5. Crossfire, by Stevie Ray Vaughn
  6. I Got You (I Feel Good), by James Brown
  7. Longview, by Green Day
  8. Roxanne, by the Police
  9. Under the Bridge, by Red Hot Chili Peppers
  10. With or Without You, by U2
  11. Yellow, by Coldplay

So, just in case anyone wondered, or cared. . . :grin:

10 Likes

What about this one @DaveT ?

Apparently James LoMenzo from Megadeth has one in his live rig.

1 Like

Looks pretty cool to me. I’d try it. They don’t give frequency numbers, but it looks well thought out at least the way they write about it.

They inserted the manual graphics backwards. I’m guessing they got the function right though, unless it’s some driving on the left side of the road thing.

2 Likes

That Laney Digbeth looks really nice. I’ve had three Laney amps, still got two of them and been happy with them. Now I need to go off and repeat 1000 times “I do not need or want a bass pedal right now”. Needing is one thing, “wanting” is something completely different!

4 Likes

I finally got myself a DAI ( Motu M2 ) and proper headphones ( Bayerdynamics DT 700 Pro X )
:grinning:
PXL_20220608_152530495

12 Likes

Probably buying an IK iRig Blueboard some sort of wireless foot controller to add to my iPhone rig. Only 4 buttons but that’s about all the preset changing I could envision myself needing anyway. It has two expression pedal inputs, too, so I could add a volume pedal and play whalesong for my band :joy:

Airturn makes a 6 button pedal. Bias FX 2 has 4 presets and 5 assignable buttons per preset :thinking: At the least, I can control tuner with one button, or use the 2 extra for bank control.

I bet I could build something like this with an Arduino :thinking: :face_with_monocle:

I can also connect up to 8 AirTurn devices, though. Plop two of them onto my Pedaltrain Nano and a tuner pedal (since I really, really prefer my ST-300 LED strobe)

Edit “Note: AirTurn is compatible with Positive Grid’s JamUp XT and JamUp Pro XT, but none of their other iOS Apps.”

Really bruh? :unamused: I mean I bet I can make it work, it’s a MIDI controller… and Bias FX 2 has MIDI learn.

Edit 2 Yeah, I think I will go with the BT200S-6 and BT500S-6 and strap them to a pedalboard. They run off 9V or internal battery, and I’ll be set with 12 buttons that work as various types of switches and I can have up to two expression pedals, one for volume, one for wah/whatever.

1 Like

I just got an irig2 for fun. Got it working with Tonecontrol which is one of the coolest apps I own: ‎Tonebridge Guitar Effects in de App Store

It’s all a bit flimsy but the app is solid :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Reading the AirTurn’s manual I have absolutely no f’ing clue how it works as a MIDI controller nor how it can be used with multiple AirTurn devices :upside_down_face:

Edit The number of bluetooth foot controllers with only 4 buttons is too damned high.

Edit 2 I’m starting to feel like there’s just not really a market here :eyes:

Edit 3 Well, I guess I found my white whale…

Old and Busted:
~~https://www.open-electronics.org/pedalino-open-source-wireless-midi-foot-controller/~~

New Hotness:

1 Like

@Koldunya

Ever look into one of these for your mobile setup:

There are a couple of models. And they look pretty durable. You may even find one used.

If you want wireless they also make the Airstep:

1 Like

I recently realised that my GAS has been cured, largely by the aquisition of the Helix Stomp. It fulfills all my gear needs & wants at this time; it’s such a versatile piece of kit.

Sure, I’d still like to pick up a MIG semi hollowbody Warwick Infinity at some point, but I’m in no hurry for it.

7 Likes

Yeah I kinda wished I could turn back time. I started with the HX Stomp but still went the full pedalboard way. It was a fun journey tho

5 Likes

i guarantee you could sell them and pay for one with the profits. that’s what i did, kept a few faves (like my always on VST) and sold the rest. ta da, instant stomp pedal and smaller pedalboard.

or you could go full @howard and chuck it all and go all on computer nerd. which btw i’m fairly sure is the way to go, but i still like having an amp.

5 Likes

Yeah I already sold 2 amps. I do like analog gear, but for me personally amp & cab sims is the way to go. I’m still balancing between full computer nerd and multi-fx pedals into a monitor. Selling my Ampeg SVT will be a very tough decision :laughing:

With the current inflation in Europe it’s kinda hard to sell stuff for a decent price. Trade market is blooming, just traded my audio interface for a premium microphone.

5 Likes

I can definitely see the merits of the full computer approach of DAW and plugins but I’m resisting it for the moment. I use computers way too much in my professional life and I’m resisting going too far down that rabbit hole in my Bass playing in case it becomes too much like work. :smiley:

4 Likes

Same here, I’m a software developer and spend far too many hours in front of a computer as it is.

4 Likes