GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Brutus Maximus

1 Like

Bruh to his friends

2 Likes

Tuner pedal is in

5 Likes

You’re ahead of me, you have the board, I only have the tuner! :laughing:

So…what overdrive|distortion|fuzz pedal?

2 Likes

I think i got 2 overdrive pedals. I was looking at my Amazon purchases and both say overdrive on them but the Boss ODB3 says its overdrive and distortion. The other is a MXR Bass Overdrive

2 Likes

if you know how to use a soldering iron, this mod makes the ODB-3 really great :

6 Likes

You would think Boss would make a better pedal…I do know how to solder.

4 Likes

yeah, this happens with pedals … sometimes it’s kinda strange that a small and easy mod makes the thing so much better !

5 Likes

Perfect candidate for a mod for them to make a WazaCraft version

4 Likes

turns out Carvin/Kiesel KRH radiused pickup is Bartolini P2 sized, and their P is thankfully standard Ps (they have a rep on older instruments to use pickups not the same size and making it a pain to replace with non-Carvin pickups).

The Xcellerator electronics are great-sounding but just don’t go where I want for a crisp metal sound. Could be the strings, too, but they are Dunlop Superbrights, not exactly dull strings. I predominantly play The Beast with fingers so it barely matters, but a pick it just isn’t there. If I get the red one I’ll probably swap out the pickups, but Fishman only makes Fluences in EMG 35 and 40 sizes :sob: EMG doesn’t make P2 size, so a P6/DC combo like the GT is out. Tucking a Tone Capsule into it will be sketchy due to only 4 holes :eyes:

Fuck my life.

EditObviously strings will be a factor but down the Bartolini rabbit hole I go…

1 Like

Thanks for the tutorial!

2 Likes

Naturally Bartolini doesn’t make a 6-string P… sigh.

I am not buying a $2800 Kiesel for a band:

And tbh I think $300 to paint the neck the same color as the body is f’ing criminal.

I love it as an aesthetic though, and all my basses have it. Minor detail… I just think the line on a neck thru looks weird

Blood red is a little nicer/more muted than Ferrari Red :upside_down_face:

They don’t have solid purple, and from what I’ve read a lot of times their translucent purples can be super dark. I went through that nonsense with Legator already :eyes:

Just a godless purple metallic :eyes:

I should email them and ask if they mix in the metallic themselves and tell them to just not do that lol. Most-likely they buy it premixed…

4 Likes

I’m just really hesitant on pulling the trigger on another Xcellerator because of that 34" scale. A0 is asking a lot of 34" - Kiesel multiscales are 36" on the low B string (had to dig for that…) which seems like it would be really good for A0, based on my experience with 34" and 35" basses at B0 and A0.

Tough choices. I could just keep things tuned BEADGC and use a drop pedal. The pitch shifter on my B6 is okay. I might use it for covers if I kept the tuning… but… it’s not great tbh. My Stiletto loses all its punch, clarity, sparkle, and just sounds like a bassic bass.

I might try putting the SRC6’s Tone Capsule into The Beast, but tbh with its own preamp the treble control does very little, the bass does MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF THINGS that will overpower preamps easily, the mid does a lot, too.

Bartolini “classics” are actually their “hifi” pickup weirdly enough but apparently the narrow 6 spaced P2 isn’t easy to come by (naturally). Maybe I’ll go nuts and install a pair of massive Sims in The Beast like Mark from Talking Bass :joy:

Aguilar and Nordstram make some P2-sized pickups…

Ok, ok, I get that, but…

…I mean, c’mon…

Vaders are EFFING RAD.

My Osiris is blood red. I’m happy to get you detailed pics if you want.

1 Like

You seem very krafty - why not just paint one you have or another cheaper one?

1 Like

Guitar Center, as much as I do not like them, has IK’s X-series pedals on clearance for $200 each

Tempted by the X-Drive. Metal Zone is fine and dandy, and I bet I can get a good clean out of some of the overdrives…

I saw one of the Taylor Mini-e Koa Basses at the store that shall not be named. 23 1/2" scale, played nicely and sounded good, easy to play, etc. $900 though :upside_down_face:

New strings (DR DDT Heavy) roused The Beast from its slumber :dragon:

So once these wear out I’ll probably order a more custom set for it from Stringjoy, and… maybe… The Brute as well. More leaning more toward an offer on it… it’s had 2… probably super low balls though…

.135 is a decent A0 on a 34" and the .115 D1 is killer… the bass still doesn’t respond super well to treble boosts; it has to be the pickups, though it has more presence/punch/highs with these strings (the 1st is still a .030 Dunlop though lol…)

1 Like

If I were to gas and sell a bass or two, then:

MIJ Fender, which may mean FGN

4 Likes