GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

It’s pretty much set and go. I would assume Berg ships with a good configuration. Can help much with muddy sounding cabs but iirc yours are quite clean

3 Likes

That Berg has everything you need to find out where your mud is coming from. If @howard’s 50Hz HPF doesn’t clean it up, the Berg will let you edit the set points for your low-mid control. The next place I’d look is taking out 1 or 2 dB for an octave around 120 Hz. If that doesn’t work, I’d put it back and then try taking out 1 or 2 dB for an octave around 240 Hz. Taking out any more than 3dB probably starts to get thin. A good way to learn the knobs, however, is to turn them to an extreme and then settle back to a more reasonable setting.

When someone picks up a vocal mic at a convention and sounds boomy, it’s almost always fixed by taking out 2 dB around 200-250 Hz or so.

The “Q” is the Quality of the filter. In electronics land narrower filters are higher quality. Filter widths can either be given in Bandwidth or Q. For a 1 Octave filter, it doesn’t matter, they are both “1”. If you get rid of the mud, but lose too much of the tone you want, you can try a higher Q filter and be more surgical about what you take out.

5 Likes

And just to be sure @joergkutter , this step for configuring the amp has been done?

3 Likes

Awesome, Dave! Thanks for taking the time to explain this all some more and for giving some really useful pointers!

Yeah, well… that is part of the challenge. My original plan was to leave a cab (NXT112) at the rehearsal space and carry the amp to and fro. Alas, we have been on a waiting list for one of the rehearsal rooms where you could (and would want to) leave your own gear. For now, we are still in a room with hardware provided (and used by lots of bands) and so I play the Berg through an Ampeg cab. It’s using a generic speaker profile, but I guess I should try to do the tweaking you suggest to improve things.

While this is indeed possible, I thought an EQ pedal might provide an overall more flexible solution that allows more quickly to adjust things according to cabs, venues, and even basses used…

2 Likes

Maybe, but the Berg is more flexible than any pedal. If you can get proof of concept with the Berg, maybe you can find something that does what you need with less menu flipping.

4 Likes

Why does Thoman sell them for $200 but in the US they are $640?

1 Like

:scream:

2 Likes

Amazon UK sells them currently for £189 (~$230). This is what I paid.
Amazon US sells them for $270. Where did you see them for $640???

3 Likes

@joergkutter - can’t you save profiles in the Berg and then get the Bluetooth footswitch to switch between them?

3 Likes

Yes, I think there are two profiles you can save and access with the knobs on the amp, and probably a third one if/when you use the footswitch…

I just need to find out which settings exactly get saved in a profile… need to re-read the manual it seems :grin:

Also not sure this will cure my GAS for the re/Q :joy: You must know how that feels, John!

1 Like

Same here!

No clue what you are talking about. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I am actually surprised that you don’t own that pedal yet… or the Badland… or (at least) the SourceAudio EQ :rofl:

1 Like

I looked at the Source Audio and almost pulled the trigger, but…

1. I use the EQs in the preamp ensemble I have to dial in the sound I want, and it suits me fine.
  2. the SA is one of those ‘hook up to a PC or phone or whatever’, which, I find more annoying than useful, too many options.
  3. ten bands for a bass is kinda crazy.

I have never touched the eq on the Berg, well, I did play with it originally but find the VT Bass DI, B7K, BassRig Black Panel & Super Beatle pedal preamps give me all the EQ I need.

2 Likes

Yeah, you should be covered to the gills…

Agreed on the Source Audio - it’s a mouthful, and I am sure I could do more harm than good with so many options :wink:

1 Like

Thats kind of why I sold the Zoom box. There were so many options, effects and “twiddles” I didn’t get any practice in. And I still didn’t like the sound I was getting.

I now have a Harley Benton bass expander, a Tech21 Steve Harris sansamp and a compressor pedal (which I don’t use too often). Enough EQ to last a lifetime.

3 Likes

Until the next gadget rears its (hideous) beautiful head :grin:

2 Likes

Well, there are three things on my wishlist.

I want to get a 4x10" cab and head. I have my eye on some Peavey and G°K cabs, and a head (Peavey or TC), used feom Kijii or FB marketplace. But I won’t get those until I move.

The other is a Steve Harris signature Fender P bass, which has been my dream bass since I started. Hey, I’m a simple guy, what can I say?

But I’m leaving the effects and pedal game to others.

4 Likes

This GAS is some serious business. I just bought another bass, a total Warmoth build P/J with a curly maple top. The seller is bringing it to me today at my job. It has the Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pounder pickups, Schaller tuners, Hipshot Kick-Ass bridge and black hardware. Not a scratch on it.

5 Likes

I picked mine up from “mass drop” Drop for $200. Very cool headphones.

1 Like

In complete agreement. I have a zoom pedal I don’t use, just too many things to twiddle with.

As far as a Steve Harris bass, never wanted one. But now that I’ve got the MDB5 setup with a Harris pup and flats, I want one. The MDB5 sounds so good, and that E string has a lovely tone and sustain.

I’m there with you (almost)

2 Likes