GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

For what it’s worth I have the Squier 40th Ann P Bass in Vintage Blonde and I LOVE it. I can’t find anything wrong with the neck or frets. I haven’t even taken it in for a setup yet and it still plays great. The only complaint I would have if I were forced to say something I don’t like about it is the input jack is a little tight. My cord has a right angle jack so it takes a little effort to unplug. But seriously…that’s it. I have it hanging next to my all black Squier J bass and it’s like ying and yang.

6 Likes

Could an active PJ configuration on a fender style bass be considered “modern” or is that tag line only reserved for dual humbucker set ups with 24 frets? I want to get a modern active 5 string to help round out my collection and the Sire P7 (2nd Gen) has got my attention at the moment. I don’t have a PJ yet. I love P bass tone and something about being able to blend some brightness into that sounds like heaven. It has a 3 band EQ but the mid is a stacked knob with boost / cut and frequency control. I’m just unclear if the term “modern” refers to the style of the instrument or the tones it is capable of producing.

4 Likes

I’m gassing for a Nash PB-63 in P/J configuration. Must resist…

6 Likes

Squier basses are fantastic for the most part.
The only real worry is a bad neck here and there which, is more of an artifact of previous production (Affinity series aside, cannot speak to it).
They are fantastic upgrade platforms.
I think the guitars start to get a bit sketchier.
I did have some fretboard issues on my Bass VI that were luthier resolved, but, Bass VIs are low volume one-offs and that can open up quality issues.

4 Likes

Awesome info man! Thanks for that. I did end up going with the Squier P Vintage in Dakota Red. Got a free setup from the shop since the delivery was delayed. Put some 40-100 Ernie Ball flats on it and have been loving the punch of the P pickup!

5 Likes

Shipping weight is not actual weight, my new Jazz had a shipping weight of 22 pounds, it was listed as 4.07 kilos on the site and 9 pounds does feel about right. Don’t go by shipping weight

4 Likes

Ooh, they make some nice basses!

Carpe diem; if you can afford it; yada yada yada :joy:

5 Likes

Carpe bassus - seize the bass

7 Likes

Made in Japan weekend, lol.

Marcus Miller with Aguilar pickups and John East Marcus Retro Preamp.
Yamaha Motion B III

20 Likes

Love the red finish on that Yamaha.

5 Likes

Yeah me too the two I have were solid black and pearl white, this one is great.

5 Likes

I’m going to have to get a MB-40 at some point, the MB’s are just neat little things.

5 Likes

$179 for a cute mini Jazz bass?

3 Likes

I like the MB too that said I’m not a fan of the hockey stick head. Lol.

1 Like

MB-40 has a normal Yamaha style head:

These are usually less than $200. Nice little 32" scale MIJ bass.

8 Likes

Oh yes absolutely. I couldn’t find the “made in Japan” on mine but since it’s not the export model it would say. May be on the case candy there’s a card saying hey it’s made down the street, lol.

4 Likes

These are the two front runners. Both very different then each other.

The Bluesman Vintage only weighs 6.75 lbs and is new, but road warn.
The Fender select was made in 2012, but is new and according to the seller hasn’t been played. I am going to try not to jump the gun and take my time picking a Jazz.

10 Likes

You need to hurry, because there are hardly any Jazz basses left on Reverb :cowboy_hat_face:

7 Likes

:rofl:

Might I suggest Bacchus or Momose?

Or more reasonably priced (but still extremely high quality), FujiGen?

9 Likes

Yes you may. I have been looking at those as well

5 Likes