General physical discomfort & awkwardness when starting?

i am on day 5 of B2B (nearing the end of module 1) and have been finding it difficult to find the “right” playing position/strap height/bass neck angle/left hand position, etc… can someone confirm that over time i will figure out what works for me? i am worried about starting bad habits per what @JoshFossgreen says in the course, but am also getting worried i will never sort out my physical relationship to the bass properly. i just cannot seem to settle in on a good strap height + vertical angle + outward angle + left hand position, but i assume that is normal for 5 days in? i hope? even my thumb on my right hand aches as i feel like i am anchoring to the pickup too hard. (yes i did watch this video i have seen linked here: Developing Safe Left Hand Technique for Bass Guitar - YouTube)

3 Likes

For what it’s worth … I am on day 8 and at module 2 but also doing stuff on the side as far as reading and learning notes until It starts here . Anyway the first 3 days was painful , so I looked around at tips and found the reoccurring theme of relax your fretting hand and find best positions that provide best sounding notes ( right behind frets ) amazing how much pressure you don’t need . I have now have no soreness at all and practice this 15 minutes before and 15 after any lesson work , along with stretching fingers along 4 frets . It’s a good warm up and forces me to work on good technique before the bad habits start . You will be amazed how quickly your hands adapt

3 Likes

Getting the right strap and strap adjustments and all that is part of the learning process. It will come to you.
I will say however, you need to invest in the best, most comfortable strap you can find straightaway. This will save you a lot of grief down the road. All the other stuff will come to you in time.
Check out this thread.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s a bit of trial and error for everyone. I’m 1.5 years in, and still experimenting with strap lengths. I started too long, then went too short, and now I’m somewhere in-between. You’ll figure it out.

Yep, went through that phase as well. That too is going to sort itself out as your hands get used to the their new jobs. Try to relax as much as possible, and never play through pain.

3 Likes

I just had a period of this and it hurt like crazy. What I was doing was not only pushing down too hard but pushing the knuckle of my thumb ‘in’ towards the inside of my palm. When I pushed it out and kept it slightly bent, all the pain went away.

1 Like

I think this is common with a lot of beginners who tend to strangle the neck :slightly_smiling_face:

It is actually amazing how little pressure you need to apply with your fretting hand to sound a note cleanly and the thumb is only applying enough pressure to stop the neck from being pushed back, which is not much at all.

With the plucking hand it should just rest lightly on the pickup. Mine lives a lot on the E (5th) string.
@John_E had a good tip regarding keeping the plucking hand thumb slightly bent. I think @PamPurrs even uses what’s called the floating thumb technique where the thumb is not even anchored.

Initially a lot of things will feel awkward because you are asking your hands to do things, and assume positions, they never have before. This will come in a short time when muscle memory kicks in. Just try and stay relaxed.

2 Likes

I totally tweaked my left shoulder the first 3-4 days I started playing. Music stores should include a bottle of ibuprofen or something when you buy your first bass. Definitely some trial and error (hopefully not too much error).

4 Likes

Been there too.
Ibuprofen is standard equipment when you get to a ‘certain age’ regardless of activity…

6 Likes

Yes, that is correct

1 Like

I can confirm this!
I cannot give any brilliant advice, but only offer you solace that the act of playing the electric bass is awkward and foreign to all human bodies until it isn’t!

6 Likes

@mgoldst I’m going to throw in a left field suggestion. I use / used a ‘right height’ strap from Levy’s. 2.5" wide, slightly padded but here’s the important part.
It has an easily adjustable height on it. Just like tightening a strap on a rucksack. So you can happily shorten and lengthen the strap height with one hand.
This “may” help you find the height you’re looking for? Good luck.

4 Likes

@Barney those look great! Seems very obvious to do it that way.

2 Likes

This is the strap I use. Wide, well padded, easy to adjust. A good strap is worth the money, whichever one you choose.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ELFSN1-BLK--gruv-gear-david-ellefson-recoil-signature-guitar-bass-strap?mrkgadid=3331287925&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=guitars&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=92700046938598150&lid=92700046938598150&ds_s_kwgid=58700005283398284&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgroupid=552324816844&product_id=ELFSN1-BLK&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&adpos=largenumber&locationid=9033452&creative=332063179644&targetid=aud-297527862170:pla-552324816844&campaignid=1708733951&awsearchcpc=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzfuNBhCGARIsAD1nu-_d7HeBgmV6MaF90zmHvIAua5xu0WZavi3Ag6Vw_5zvAtci6hM4xDsaAleZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like

I tried a number straps before settling on this one. It’s not cheap but with straps (like most things) you get what you pay for.

1 Like

thanks again everyone! regarding straps: i grabbed a thin seatbelt-material when i got my bass and used it for the past few days but found it too thin. just got the basic levy 3" leather ladder style in the mail today which already feels much more supportive and the grippy inside seems to reduce neck dive a bit.

right now playing feels so insanely awkward but like many of you have said: it IS awkward until i get used to it!

and i also feel VERY tense — i am pressing everything really hard which is not helping me feel relaxed and fluid.

1 Like

I find that stuff digs in at the edges.
Thickness of the strap helps even if not as wide a strap.

One day you will finish playing and go ‘hey, nothing hurt’…and then you will start doing something dopey and it will hurt, then not, then will…etc etc.

3 Likes

Easiest thing is to press too hard with your thumb. Don’t do that, you need very little pressure. Watch how lightly this guy presses his thumb down - good shot in the first few seconds

2 Likes

Correct, but: only if your bass is set up properly.

2 Likes

Remember, if it was easy it would be called piano :wink:
I’ve been though the same process. Tension, wrist pain etc. All I can say is it does get better. It really does. Welcome to the awesome world of bass.

4 Likes

It really freakin’ is!

1 Like