Getting your fingers to RELAX

Hi everyone,

6 months into the bass, and just finished the class.
I’m wondering if there are known exercises to help get ones fingers to relax and stay close to the fret board. I realize this will come with time (years of practice) but I’m curious if anyone has some insight into speeding up the process!!!

6 Likes

I use two exercises for that purpose

Left hand permutations

and the Walking Spider / Spider Walk

I actually intend to integrate these kind of exercises with my reference tool Fretful.io

9 Likes

Have not seen these, will be checking them out. I have a site that the content is paid for, and it is hard to share the exercises because of that, but there are plenty of free ones.

Also, look up @JoshFossgreen 's Bass Buzz video on finger exercises. These are simpler exercises, in the fact that there is not as much to memorize, but they are every bit as effective, especially when you are just starting to do finger exercises.

I will try to find the link to the video, or the exact name of it and post here.

3 Likes

Here it is, 5 levels of finger exercises

8 Likes

Just the video & exercises I have been searching for to work on my flailing fingers. Thanks.

4 Likes

Awesome when you find what you have been looking for for a while.
And welcome to the forum.

4 Likes

Steve Harris says he “lets his amp do the work”. By turning up the amp he can pluck the strings much lighter while still getting the desired volume. This puts less strain on the fingers, which increases speed and stamina. At least for the right hand (no offense to lefties)

3 Likes

Hi! I just recently started learning but before I subscribed to BassBuzz I took Josh’s free lessons very seriously and I think his 5 level exercises (and other videos) really made a difference. I’m in Module 6 and certain aspects seem really easy after that. The free lessons are a great compliment that shouldn’t be ignored.

2 Likes

Yeah I think finger permutation are great for getting the fingers to relax.

1 Like