GK Backline 115

I just got a line on this amp for $100.00 in really good condition. I think I am going to go for it. I have a Peavey Basic 112 that has an input jack problem that is beyond my local tech’s expertise. He said the jack is part of the circuit board and is not like a regular jack and he cannot fix it. I have an Ampeg B108 that is okay, just not super loud. The GK appears to be the 175 watt version with the tiltback feature. It is missing a button or two but nothing that affects the playability. Sounds like a great deal. Do any of you have experience with GK? Let me know what you think.

4 Likes

Sounds like a good deal as long as everything works okay. The missing buttons does make me suspicions though. Specifically, what other abuses has it suffered and how will that affect its longevity and usability.

The missing buttons are actually just the tops of the little square buttons near the line out port. The buttons themselves are still there. I am actually paying nothing for it. After further conversation, I am trading a guitar amp and a Peavey Predator for this amp and an acoustic electric Dean bass.

1 Like

GK is awesome but like any older gear I would do a bit of research before you buy. Talkbass thread: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/gk-backline-115.241393/

Actually I would buy it for $100. In my opinion the 12 and 15 speakers from GK sounds really good. I even prefer them over the 10s.

1 Like

I made the trade with the guy. I traded a cheap Peavey Predator, a Crate Flexwave Amp, and a Digi-Tech RP255 effects processor for a GK Backline 115, Dean Electric Acoustic bass with flats on it, and a Tech 21 Bass compressor. I think I got the better end of the trade. The acoustic bass has me excited. The action will need a little tweaking but the bass itself feels and sounds great. I have to get a power supply for the compressor but it seems like new. The GK Backline works great and shakes the floor when I hit the open E. All in all a good trade I think.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good deal! Which model is that Tech 21 bass compressor?

1 Like

I’ll check when I get home. I think it is a Bass Compactor

tech-21-bass-compactor-compressor_360_a4029a3fc726218ea86f17d4d2666023

(Edit: It is a Bass Compactor)

2 Likes

Played through the GK tonight. Aside from some dirty pots, this thing “BOOMS”…it is loud, clear and can rattle windows. I have settled on a Zoom setting that I like, the SWR setting with just a little grit. It nails 90% of the sounds I hear in my head along with the Fender Flats on my Vintage VJ74. The LTD sounds a little better using the SVT setting on the Zoom. I have not fired up the compressor yet. And the Dean Acoustic, the guy already put flatwounds on it. Aside from having a higher action than I like, it plays and sounds pretty good for what it is. I know just a few tweaks of the truss rod should fix it’s action, I hope.

2 Likes

I just finished Module 4 Lesson 3 and think the way Josh teaches is super smart. Start really simple and slow. Explain concepts, explain why, play slowly, speed up, next lesson only slightly more complicated but builds on previous lesson

2 Likes

Yeah. I haven’t been able to find anyone even remotely close. There are plenty out there but none of them click with me the way Josh does.

Early on, the lessons are so simple and I was thinking to myself, “It has to get more complicated”. But every lesson got more and more involved but seemed to be fairly easy as they simply built on the lesson before. I am early in the module but I PLAYED “Child in Time”…(at least the part he taught me). So, I am going to be a fat, bald headed bass playing, spandex wearing, 58 year old rock God before too long.

1 Like

Have a look at the nut height too. Key on an acoustic for lower action. Sometimes though on the cheaper acoustics neck warp age/flatness dictates how low the action can get.

Hey Ed, I bought a GK microbass 112, a few years back. 150w, 4 band EQ, effects loop, and built in d.I.

I bought it to replace my 42lb Hartke Kickback 12, for practice. My G.K. weighs 23lbs. Lots smaller for travel, yet it can still run thru the board for a gig.
Not my favorite for time, but it works for me.
I sent off online, for a custom made skip cover for it, and use it on an elevated amp stand.
Ive not heard anything bad about their products.

1 Like