Going Ampless

Tinnitus sucks. :frowning_face: Ever once in a while, the the cicadas in my head go silent. The nice thing about bass is that it’s in a frequency range that doesn’t compete with the constant ringing in my head.

4 Likes

Yeah it really does. So freaking annoying.

2 Likes

Howard, here’s the funny thing. I went to get my ears tested with my son when he was enlisting in the Navy. My hearing has never been good, and my son the same way. So I was just curious; there might be something genetic there…

Anyways, the doctor reviews my test results and asks “Do you hear ringing in your ears?” I say, “No.” Then like magic, within a couple of days the ringing began, as if by suggestion. It’s been with me ever since.

2 Likes

Yuck.

Mine started whenI was in my 20s. I remember thinking “This sucks! Well I am sure it will go away soon.”

And of course it never did.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good basis for a conspiracy theory.

I hadn’t had any problem with tinnitus either until very recently. I started to worry that it was the headphone playing, but as I rarely have it so loud as to not be able to hear my dog barking along the corridor, it doesn’t seem likely. I’ve also been having headaches since it started so it seems more likely to be a non-music thing. I’m not giving up even if I go deaf. As has been pointed out; it’s a different range on the spectrum for maybe we can think of it as ‘accompaniment’. :thinking:

2 Likes

Oh, and on the original subject; not only do I use an ampless set-up 99% of the time, I use the Behringer UMC22 interface for lessons, practice, cover vids/tracks, and I also occasionally use the Zoom B1on on its own as a headphoned practice amp. Less than £100 for everything I need in 2 small boxes weighing less than 1kg.

3 Likes

wow. contracted backline is one thing - where the promoter has to sort it out. Just borrowing other people’s gear for years? That’s a very different and amazing achievement.

Reminds me of a politically/socially conscious guitarist/singer I played with once upon a time. He refused to own a car for social, environmental and political reasons. So every time we had a gig I ended up loading up his two 2x12" cabs (stereo rig) and his giant head and effects rack, and driving it… in my car… to wherever our gigs were.
Worked great for him.

5 Likes

totally agree with your point of view @Gio !

3 Likes

I bet :joy:

4 Likes

This is what I need. While I’ve caved and ordered the Rumble 40, I do feel I need an audio interface too. I’m probably going to wait until I actually start the course so I can better appreciate my needs but I suspect a solution like this will follow soon after.

3 Likes

I agree with @Vik. I’ve been playing out of a VOX bass guitar headphone amp as it allows me to play late at night in a wood frame apartment building with thin walls and floors. But I’m breaking down and planning to buy a small amp for weekends and daytime. I’d like it to be small and very portable so I can take to the cabin. Any suggestions?

4 Likes

For a small portable amp the Fender Rumble series they are discussing is good. Not too heavy, great tone. I used to own a Rumble 25 and liked it. The Rumble 40 is probably the best choice for a small one.

The small Orange Crush bass amps (like the 35B) sound great to me too.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice, @howard. I looked at the Orange Crush series and they looked fab…just a bit out of my price point. Rumble series seemed more affordable. Looking at used on Craigslist.

4 Likes

Good plan! Find a good used one and you might even turn a profit if you sell later. I sold my Rumble for about 70% of the new retail price.

3 Likes

Sah-weet!!

2 Likes

The Rumble 40 Studio or standard 40?

1 Like

The standard Rumble 40. Anything with a USB port already leaves me cold; adding WiFi, an OLED screen and all that modeling megubbins would probably bring on a personal ice age!

5 Likes

for some reason I would hate having a screen on an amp. even multiple channels have always been a problem for me … funny for someone who uses Line6 preamps :joy: (but I use them because they can sound “like” the one or two amps I’m interrested in, with a good cab simulation and without the hassle of vacuum tubes. I never use the large sound variety offered by those modeling things. in fact I use my Line6 preamps like single channel preamps.)

2 Likes

I can see value in having amp and cab sims on an amp. Even then I would still rather have them on my pedalboard though.

The reason I think it could be cool is that the amp and speaker itself will have some tone. So you could probably do special tailored amp and cab sims onboard that took that into account and made it sound closer to the amp you wanted to model.

2 Likes

Fancy tech on amps to me is cool for a week or so, but then just becomes something else that can break. I like my amps simple. That being said, I don’t mind the Bright/Contour/Vintage buttons that the Rumble 40 has.

2 Likes