Good Bass Day

Yeah, congrats on that !

Also what’s the app you’re using to monitor the sound pressure ?

3 Likes

A great tool for Android is Audiotool!

App:

(It also exists for iPhone)

Manual:

1 Like

There were a few free ones in the App Store. I chose this one.

1 Like

You know it’s a good bass day when you find a new song you can (almost) instantly play. Finally, I’m working on a cover! I’m keeping the song secret because it’s more fun this way.

Took me two sessions to realize the recording is slightly out of tune, and I’m not sure what to do about that yet. It’s a chugging song, so you notice the tuning when you play the original bass in parallel. At first I thought I wasn’t in the pocket.

Things to do:

1. Check the tuning, remaster the original perhaps
  2. Work on my downpicking and chugging

:smile: What’s good in your bass world?
Ciao
Antonio

4 Likes

Can you explain this? Do you mean: change the pitch of the song?

Yes, I am considering two options: fine tune my bass to the detuning in the recording (like in Folsom Prison Blues) or run the recording through a software that pitches it to E-standard.

What I need to do is to find out how to do that. I’ll do that after work, though. :innocent:

1 Like

Would be interested in the findings!

Is Folsom Prison Blues not E standard tuning?

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues (songster 174977).pdf (163.6 KB)

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues (songster 76977).pdf (409.0 KB)

Ah, you’re right:

Just apply a pitch shift of a few cents in the DAW to fix it.

If your DAW does not have a builtin for this, Kilohearts has a pitch shifter as part of its outstanding free Essentials package.

If only one string was out of pitch but the rest were in pitch, I would use something like Melodyne to fix it.

Or, you know, just record it again. If you do, don’t discard your original though, as mixing in a little of the slightly detuned double track could make the bass sound huge :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Volume is directly proportional to the physical joy of music.
Directly.
I agree 100% with your findings.

3 Likes

Hey, thanks for the tips! I tried correcting/finding the right pitch, but I’ve got a bit of work to do on that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not really bass related, but a good day nonetheless. Today as usually I sat down with lunch and started browsing the net, checking out YT for new music, and there was Hellfest streaming the live performance of Babymetal. So I got an unexpected concert in. Crappy camera work, crappy festival sound, but it was a pleasant surprise. Nice to see them and how much they’ve grown - they had their own flame pots, stage, and other effects, so they’re rising up in the festival hierarchy.

A good day indeed

2 Likes

Yeah the technical aspect of the lives is really bad for such a big festival, that’s strange but the lives have always been quite crappy.

I saw the Babymetal concert too and it was a good surprise for me, as it’s not a band I’m very familiar with.

I’ve been following Babymetal for a while now and I nearly went to Hellfest.
Yeah… sound was an absolute crap, but now we know they sing live… even while jumping!

It was really really good, imho… despite production and audio engineers messing up (hopefully only for TV - ARTE).

I’d love to seem them live, might be a blast!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the one I saw… sound mixing / levels are crap.

1 Like

How Su can sing while jumping up and down like a pogo stick is one of the mysteries. She’s been doing it a while though.

Not only that… but since I “met” them in like 2018-2019 through a mate… they have grown so much musically… and even their english is really good!

Su’s english is really really good compared to back then. :slight_smile:

Also… on singing… have you heard Moa Singing ?

Moa has quite the nice voice

1 Like

Also on Headbanger! On her birthday!

Yup, Moabanger, when she turned 20, the year you come of age in Japan. They celebrate 20 for all of the girls.

1 Like