Good Bass Day

Happy to help :smile:

3 Likes

Band practice last night with a new drummer. He’s my age and been drumming all his life.

In a week he’s learned / learnt all the songs prior to showing up.

I was previously used to counting 12 bars before coming in on one of the songs.

He saw me counting (as we were used to playing with a drum machine) and said 'Don’t worry. I’ll do a fill, walk down the toms and you’re in on the one"

Man, playing with people who are significantly better than you are is where it’s at!

This is the song we’re covering, for all you Aussies :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Amen.
Preach on, Brother Barney.

Also, good jam. Such a big groove.

1 Like

Today was maintenance day.

I got the Reverend and G&L broken down, cleaned, polished, fretboards oiled, screws and nuts all tightened, strings cleaned and restrung. Then checked truss rods, action, and intonation. I was surprised the intonation on both were all within 3ish cents on the tuner. I dropped the pup (G&L) on the low strings 1/4 turn and brought the high strings up a 1/4 turn (I noticed last night that the high strings were a little too quiet compared to the low strings).

I know it isn’t the most super exciting stuff, but I love maintenance. I find it very therapeutic.

10 Likes

First ever gig next weekend. Birthday party in a big yard. We’re the second act. 13 songs. Tom Petty, Big Sugar, Wolfmother etc.

Just back from rehearsals. Playing with a drummer who was semi pro. It’s so good to play with people significantly better than you.

P Bass into SGT DI into Fender Rumble 800 at 80% volume sounds glorious. Betting someone’s going to call bylaw/the cops about the noise before the end of the set :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I’m counting on it :metal:t2:

3 Likes

I had a good bass day yesterday. Working on Billie Jean on Slow and actually hitting a few notes at the right time in the right order. :sweat_smile: Then I decided to check out the TAB for ‘Still Loving You’ from The Scorpions and realised I could play the beginning almost instantly. Only a few bits needed some repetition. Then I checked out the TAB for ‘Walking on the Moon’ and learned the famous riff. Good times. I’ve been thinking about it all day today. :blush:

8 Likes

= good gig.
Have a blast and please keep us posted on how it goes.

I’d bet on a noise complaint.

3 Likes

Yesterday(today) before going to bed… I decided to try something crazy and risk “Mein Herz Brennt”… full bassline/tempo. Song in Drop C, but yousician had it in standard Tunning… so followed that one… and fingered it instead of pick.

Seeing daily practice paying off… but still not convinced to record myself… one day… one day. :slight_smile:

Fact is… being resilient and working through frustration when you flop multiple times, gets you there.

5 Likes

Jump in, the water’s lovely!! Seriously, just give it a go, you might be surprised how much fun it is :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I will echo what @Megatronpt said. Being resilient (and stubborn) pays off. I’m currently playing a song I wanted to do some time ago. Back then it just didn’t click at all. I thought it was extremely…clumsy, to play. Now it’s fairly easy to get under the fingers.

3 Likes