Grammar Police discuss "learnt"

@howard
had to look up arvo…
I’m from deepest darkest Yorkshire, where conversation is kept to a minimum. So, ‘reet’ accompanied by a head nod, means “my wife and children are very well, thank you for asking, I was greatly saddened to hear of the untimely death of your grandmother”.

7 Likes

Wow. Specific communication, that.

2 Likes

Nice. Japanese does similar stuff too where it drops everything except the apsolutely necessary words, but you’ve taken it next-level :rofl:

1 Like

Well, when you colonize and annex a large portion of the Arabic-speaking world, and refuse to let go of those colonies until 1962, you end up with a lot of Arabic-speaking citizens. That’s kind of how it works.

2 Likes

I’m really enjoying learning about Britain from all the Spams. It’s very entertaining.
Chin chin.

2 Likes

They also use ‘Learnt’ as well as “Learnt”

1 Like

Must be regional perhaps - at school it was mostly ‘footie’ or simply football.

I have practically zero knowledge of rugby - it was never that popular at school from what I recall.
Despite living in a county town with a good sized population (about 120, 000) we’ve only acquired a football team with grounds in the last 10 years or so, and as far as I’m aware we have neither a formal rugby or cricket team to speak of.

Even more sadly, we have no music shops these days either :confused:

It’s a good idea to note that my memory of school sport is likely skewed as I was rather un-athletic and was actually barred from taking place in a single secondary school Sports Day by my classmates on the basis that if they entered me in an event it was a guaranteed loss.
As such I spent my lunches in chess club, and once a week helped run the after school Warhammer club/group.

1 Like

Perhaps we should broach the topic of regional accents. The UK is tiny (no matter what Mercator’s projection suggests) but we have a staggering range of accents and colloquial language. Perhaps Jimmy Carr produced the best work on UK accents (warning - profanity and bad taste humour are the hall marks of Mr Carr’s performnces).
Carr does accents
What I need is a good introduction to U.S / Canadian / Australian / New Zealand accents.

2 Likes

How does this thread still have legs? :thinking:

2 Likes

You’d be surprised how many of us Kentish folk maintain that we ‘have no accent’

It’s just everywhere else that has one, allegedly :rofl:

1 Like

Try being from the Deep South in the US. Alabama specifically. I doubt some of you guys could understand some of us.

3 Likes

Words like "purt’near, dreckly, summers, fitt’na, among others. I have a tough time understanding some of my own people. I spent years outside Alabama before coming back and lost a lot of the accent although I have been told it has come back…(by friends from Minnesota and Boston no less. Their accents are so bad)

1 Like

“J’eet?”
“Nuh.”
“Y’unt’ta?”

That’s what I think of when I think of the deep South. Translated that’s:

“Did you eat?”
“No.”
“Do you want to?”

:smiley:

1 Like

When I was in the Marines, they made fun of my accent…When I said “pipe” it sounded to them like “pop”, which as we all know is a carbonated drink, except in the South where everything is a “Coke”. They also laughed at the way I said “oil” as most Southerners say something like “oowl”. (hard to type out how they make it sound). Because of their constant ribbing, I changed my way of speaking and now a Southerner thinks I am from somewhere else although my Northern friends tell me that the accent is back in a big way. We are the only people in the world that make the word “bed” into a two syllable word.

1 Like

S’pose ta-supposed to
Fitt’na go-about to leave
Far-Fire…as in “I’ma far up yer head”-“I’m going to kick your ass”

There are so many others that are probably only said here

2 Likes

Yea sadly that’s how things work since the beginning of time. Still going on today.

1 Like

This thing has wings! :joy:

4 Likes

My home city of Hull (pronounced 'ull since we rationalised the alphabet to 25 letters) was the first UK university to issue freshers with a booklet titled “Learn to speak 'ull” which included the classics:
Bairns rurrin - the baby is crying loudly
Goin ont roooad - I am imminently embarking on a shopping trip to Chantlerlands Avenue
Ya larkin on tenfoot - are you coming out to play in the ally

Even the road signs have to be rewritten:

7 Likes

Ha, you just cracked me up
Laughed suitably loudky that I woke my wife up and received a warning glared, oops

No amusing speak this way other than a few bits of local slang. If anything I just get accused of being ‘posh’

2 Likes

I know a guy from Hull. Really good dude. He plays guitar and sax.

2 Likes