Grammar Police discuss "learnt"

I type in American

Honestly too lazy to lookup the ascii codes

3 Likes

I going back to my Bass

3 Likes

That puppy be looking at you, son. I already practiced today. Bwah-ha-ha-ha-hah!

1 Like

Apparently, things are changing, regardless of the Académie.

So I suppose classical French will continue to be regulated as much as they care to, but the common, popular vernacular will evolve with newer generations.

Yea the new French is called Arabic.

1 Like

Well, there’s that, too.

Nothing remains static forever.

1 Like

I would invite you to the North East of Scotland where we have our own patois that is practically indecipherable to fellow Scots let alone our dear neighbours to the south.
A couple of Aberdonians speaking can seem like an assault on the ears

1 Like

I think I saw a video where people were speaking this dialect. It was shot by Scots who didn’t speak it, and they were completely stimied.

1 Like

That sounds right, it is called Doric. Even Aberdonians who have spent most of their life in the city don’t understand it. The outlying towns and villages though you would swear you had crossed a border somewhere

1 Like

I lived in Buchan @Deidheid for two years. It definitely took me a while to tune in to it :sunglasses:

2 Likes

It’s a small world indeed. Was that RAF Buchan?

2 Likes

Yeah, good times. Spent a lot of time in the great outdoors up there. Many fantastic winter days in the Cairngorms. Fabulous part of the world.

1 Like

I live about 4 miles from there and know it very well.

1 Like

Oh wow. Yeah small world. It’s all decommissioned now I think? I was there in the early 90s.

1 Like

Totally decommissioned. It is now a hotel and kiddie park

1 Like

I dunno… “She loves you, hear, hear, hear” also has a certain ring to it :thinking:

2 Likes

Uh…no, it doesn’t. Sorry. :frowning_with_open_mouth:

History has spoken. Loudly. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Personally I think we should let the Australians become the arbiters of proper English, so we can all get words like “arvo”.

3 Likes

It is…?

In my entire life to date I’ve never heard a fellow Brit use the word soccer other than when talking to an American to differentiate it from American Football.

Most football fans I know hate the term ‘soccer’

2 Likes

The word soccer comes from a slang abbreviation of the word association, which British players of the day adapted as “assoc,” “assoccer” and eventually soccer or soccer football. (The habit of adding –er to nicknames in British vernacular is frequently attributed to Oxford students of that period, and can be found in other sporting slang such as “rugger” for rugby.)

From here:

3 Likes