Grammar Police discuss "learnt"

I know a guy from Hull. Really good dude. He plays guitar and sax.

2 Likes

And I thought American Deep South speech was odd. On a side note, one of the funniest things I ever saw in my life (or heard) was a Chinese man (taxi driver) in Hong Kong speaking with the most proper British accent I have ever heard. He sounded as if he was born and bred in England. I asked and he told me that since Hong Kong at one time was a British protectorate, a lot of them had accents worse than him. His grand parents passed their accents on to him. He said that when he spoke the Chinese language, he got a hard time because he spoke it with that same British accent. I got used to it over time because a lot of the older Chinese people had the same accent. But boy was it jarring the first time.

5 Likes

The Chinese had to give it to Britain after they lost the first opium war to them. Yay for the Empire!

4 Likes

There is a video of a couple of guys from my neck of the woods holding a discussion about ski boots. It goes “fit fit fits fit fit?”. A translation would be “What foot fits which foot?”

3 Likes

That’s actually super common. I know a few people from HK with native level English and British accents. Not unusual at all.

1 Like

HK - Heckler & Koch?

Germans with native English accents? :thinking:

I have a good friend who’s Chinese but grew up in Brazil. He’s got a full Brazilian accent. Pretty funny. We always give him a hard time.

1 Like

Hong Kong lol.

2 Likes

I know a lot of people from other countries with “English” accents. It comes from who your teacher was. If your English teacher was from England, you had a British accent. I did international work for years.

1 Like

A language is a dialect with an army and a navy

3 Likes

Ah - Satan’s second home! I have a couple of mates from Hull. Have you been to The Tower ?

@Ed in my youth I frequented The Tower, that would be early 1980’s.

1 Like

“Learnt” is indeed spelt correctly.

1 Like