Graph tech tuners/machineheads

I’ve just happened upon this make of tuners and haven’t heard of them before so I was wondering if any of you fine people have?
I know that Graph Tech are responsible for the Tusq nuts but wasn’t aware that they did other stuff

3 Likes

They are deliciously wonderful. Very smooth, I had 2 on a Stratocaster build and it’s very impressive, no drilling they came with all of the brackets needed for installation. My only gripe was lack of color option. I bought a set for bass but have not put them on yet.

The tuning feels consistent throughout the strings about the same travel. Essentially your High E feels the same as low E, which is quite remarkable. I imagine that it would feel great with low B at 76:1 ratio and E at 40:1 if you compare this to mountain bike components it would be like Chris King or Industrynine hub, lol.

3 Likes

As @Al1885 said they make the Ratio tuners. Each tuner has a different gearing ratio so you turn the same amount to tune each string. Not cheap, but I had a set on an old guitar and they were fantastic.

We’re on the same page re hubs :slight_smile:

https://singletrackworld.com/2016/09/video-inside-a-chris-king-hub/

3 Likes

Ah, alast another mountain biker. I got my first pair of Industrynine when they were first introduced, I remember waiting months for them, but by far the best sets of wheels you can get with bling and performance.

Back to ratio, I just ordered 5 string clover for my USA sub bass, if you get it from best bass gear there’s no tax and I get an “exclusive” whopping 5% player discounts so 15% off is not bad.

1 Like

Yeah @Al1885 we moved here for the mountain biking and skiing. They’re literally just outside my front door.

3 Likes

Wow I envy you. We were going to move to flagstaff and open the restaurant there for similar reason. Then my wife was pregnant with our first born.

1 Like

I’ve got a set in my cart somewhere and also noticed that a few high end basses use them.
I may pull the trigger on them I think :face_with_monocle:

1 Like