Gretsch Junior Jet Controls Upgrade

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the Hipshot KickAss bridge, and yours looks pretty similar for half the price. I know people argue about the actual performance improvements of a high mass bridge, but it’s definitely an aesthetic improvement, and if it adds some sustain all the better.

The Xtenders are pretty cool. I don’t really need one these days, but I used to be in a band in the late 90’s/early 2000’s where we would play drop D songs, and that would have been awesome. If they were around then I sure didn’t know about them.

I’m also planning on adding flatwounds, so seems like we’re on the same page with this bass. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this run-through! I just made this mod also, and I have to say I really dislike the logarithmic pots for the volume controls. It’s like “nothing, nothing, nothing, BLAM!!!” It hits a point about 80% through the rotation that ramps up the mix enormously, and I find myself fiddling with about 1 degree of rotation to get most of my mix adjustment.

I have found a number of recommendations for volume=linear pots and tone=audio pots. I’m going to get some linear pots for the volume on my G2220 and will report back.

3 Likes

I’m getting my G2220 on Tuesday

3 Likes

Hey all…played my JJ last night and noticed that the selector switch sometimes seems to go dead in the bridge position. It can usually be remedied by toggling it back and forth a few times. Anyone else have this issue? DO I need to be concerned that this will result in a future failure? If so, what can I do to remedy?

1 Like

You could try some electronics/contact clean into the switch.

1 Like

Or check the solder connections underneath.
Should be one or the other.

1 Like

Can you send me a schematic of how you wired the controls with the individual volume knobs, treble knov and jack ?
Thanks
Rich Vineyard

2 Likes

It’s wired just like a jazz bass. A search for “jazz bass wiring” will turn up a gazillion diagrams, step-by-step videos, etc. Here is one such diagram, courtesy of Stewmac:

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :smiley:

4 Likes

So that i understand, you changed the three way toggle switch to a rotary dial tone control, then changed the other two rotary pods to volume controls fot the individual pickups.
Is that correct.

Essentially yes, although here is exactly what happens:

1. The existing volume control becomes the neck pickup volume.

2. The switch is replaced with a pot that becomes the neck pickup volume.

3. The tone control remains the tone control.

This layout seemed logical to me, although you can arrange the pots any way you like as long as the wiring is correct.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your help. I like that setup and am going to try and do it. So all I need to follow is the Jazz wiring schematic you sent and purchase 3 new pods. Should I go with the 250 or the 500 pods? Should I change the stick jack also you think.

Again new at this but willing to try. Thanks for replying so quickly.

Rich

Good question. When I did the upgrade I was under the impression that the pickups were “mini-humbucker” dual coil units.

We now know that this is not the case; that the pickups are in fact single coil units.

That being said, the original pots metered at 422K ohms and I used 500K pots. They work just fine, but if you feel like experimenting . . .

I replaced the jack with a True Tone multi-contact jack because I had things apart and why not? However there is nothing wrong with the original jack.

The only scary part of this upgrade is enlarging the holes for the pots. Use a tapered reamer and work very slowly!

1 Like

I’m noticing a hum or interference at different volumes so i lined the cavity just with copper foil but i still get the interference, could it just be the stock pods you think. 1 also installed a set of flat wounds do thats not the issue I’m sure.

Is your foil all connected to ground in some way?
If not, it won’t help you.

2 Likes

How do i do that ?

Rich

Do I solder a wire from the foil to one on the pod cans?

You can do that, or the ground on the jack, any ground point will do.

1 Like

Thanks Ill try that

I lnow when I opened the cavity that there was only one wire coming in from each pickup, i dont know how their grounded as i didnt pull out one to check.
Rich

I’ve seen them grounded to foil or that conductive paint/goop.
I don’t like that, its the cheap-o way do to things.
You could run the wires that are probably grounded under the pickups back to the pots to eliminate any current or future issues.

I have a few J basses that they use the control plate as the ground connection between everything, don’t dig that either.