Gretsch Junior Jet Controls Upgrade

I guess I’ll need to pull the pickups and chech how their grounded, possibly foil cover the cavity at the same time.

Rich

Where do you normally fo your grounding, on the back of pot cases.
Rich

Wish i had a schematic of the original circuitry to look at.

Rich

Im not familiar with where the best ground places are truthfully.

Rich

I take the long capacitor ‘legs’ that get snipped off and run them through the pot ground connector and from pot to pot in a sort of ground bus.

Learning alot here.

Rich

1 Like

Be careful. That “one wire” from each pickup is actually a very thin shielded cable. The center lead of the cable is the output, going to the center terminal of the respective volume pot, and the shielding on the cable is, you guessed it, the ground from the pickup - going to the pot housing.

1 Like

Wow, thank you for that info, i would never have guessed. Are you just using the stock pickups or are you changing them out, also did you do anything with the nut ?

Thanks again
Rich

1 Like

What pots did you use for your upgrade, and where did you buy them, I already bought the jack and reamer from Amazon

Rich

There are links to all the parts I used near the beginning of this thread, around post #6. A little further down the thread there is also some discussion of pickup options (TL;DR: I stayed with the stock pups) and a little further down I discuss other mods that I have done to my Junior Jet.

I have had really great experiences with CTS and Bourns pots.
CTS when space allows, Bourns when the cavity is too small.
Bourns I get on Amazon, CTS I think I get from Stew Mac.

1 Like

What difference will I hear if I use the pots and capacitors that are recommended for the single coil pickups?

That depends on how they compare to the ones in your bass now. Would need to know what both old and new are to be able to say.

Exact same bass the original poster wrote about in the post. All I’ve done to it is a hi mass bridge and flatwounds.

Sure… but to give a guess at the difference the info needed is the resistances of the old pots (which he did not mention), the values of the new pots you want (only you know this), and the cap values for both.

Also if you are changing the pot tapers (i.e. linear vs log).

I believe you’re missing the point of my question. I’m not asking the difference in the stock and the replacement pots/capacitors. He replaced his stock pots with the 500k and capacitor for what he believed were humbuckers. The pickups, as we all learned later on are single coils. What is difference between these and the 250k, as far as the finished product? I am an absolute beginner, but I like to tinker and improve things when I can.

1 Like

larger the cap, darker the tone, less highs

Pots work the other way.

Pots however have some standard sorts of combos with pickups.

Of course all this is subject to personal taste and going nuts on your own for fun or a certain sound.

2 Likes

Sorry for not jumping in sooner but I’ve been dealing with some health issues (getting old really sucks).

The original pots metered out at 422K, as I mentioned around post 5 in the thread. I went with 500k audio taper pots and a .22 uf cap, since at the time I believed the pickups to be humbuckers.

I suppose you could set it up single coil style (250k pots and .047 cap) but I’m not sure how much of an effect it would have.

4 Likes

250k pots and a .047 cap would sound darker and less bright than 500k and .022, yeah.

Audio taper will fall off more naturally than linear IMO.

3 Likes

As I mentioned, I like to tinker. I’ve replaced the bridge with a hi mass and installed flatwounds. So in my opinion the sound is a little dark or muddy. So if I go with 500k posts and the 0.022uf capacitor, it would brighten up the sound slightly. Am I understanding this correctly?

1 Like