Groove & Scale Practice Website

Of course! That’s why I’ve started it! eheh

Give me some time to organize some stuff and I’ll give you a github link. You’ll need it anyway to be able to install the package locally.

I’m up to consider going bigger. In addition to exercises I can imagine:

• interactive games for note finding and other stuff
  • a practice log web app kind of thing with custom goals and other details.
  • riff recorder (how many original riffs have been lost in the depths of your memories? I know I lost some along the way), with audio and some sort of tab
4 Likes

Those are all great ideas you already had in mind.
The practice log is something that could have interactions with the PracticeTaskList with Timers I have already planned
The riff recorder sounds nice but currently in my mind not worth it in the effort/value calculation.
I just love games and anything that combines practice with gaming in a viable way is great imo!

Sure. No rush. Still got things on my todo anyway and will have to work for 2 1/2 days now so less free time.

3 Likes

I like that fingering.

I think it would be good to show with the flash card OPTIONALLY. For those learning scales, or modes, or alternate shapes, it is great.

But those that want the flash card to be a flash card, where they need to do modes, shapes, and memorize the fretboard, it’s best to not show those finger position and shapes.

Alternately,there could be a portion of flash cards that show the scale or mode, just like the above example, and the user can “name the scale”. And after the givin (selected) time, the flash card a
Pears with the answer.

Just my take, not sure that you were not already planning this.

I also know that there are apps that do this, but hey, if you like coding it, I like helping With ideas.

1 Like

Wow, really useful - thanks very much!

3 Likes

Love this idea. I will start looking into creating a game prototype for this kind of exercises.

@juli0r About fretful, I’ve been wondering if it would be useful to have tones playing (optionally) when you click a note.

The reason I didn’t yet is because I think I would thread into a world of pain. Not only would I have to refactor a portion of code, and I know myself… I would have to start creating tones from several instruments, because I would always feel it was incomplete.

Maybe as a separate package? Or maybe just having events from the package being handed to the implementers and they would take it from there and do their own sound implementation.

What do you think?

edited for typos

2 Likes

There’s a lot of possibilities in DAWs that would be possible to do semi-automated. It could always be a synth with a setting for specific instruments instead of a real recording.

Also in the spirit of rapid prototyping and the use we want it for right now I would suggest to keep the notes played for bass. Max bass/piano.

3 Likes

@juli0r this is an awesome practice tool, thank you for putting in the work! been looking for a convenient way to do the UGW aside from the practice tracks in the course extras.

after using it for a bit, my only constructive suggestion is to change the scale playing time slider to measure in bars rather than seconds. That way the scale display time could line up with the drum beat loop w/ silenced bars, regardless of BPM. I understand this is probably a pain to code though, and it really is super useful as-is!

3 Likes

Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate the kind words as well as the constructive feedback. Both always welcome.

I thought of simply removing the scale playing timer and directly connect it to the length of one full playthrough of the 42 bars. That would be easier to code because I can just take the length of the audio track as timer.
Do you think that might help?

If someone wants to practice quickly switching scales (for whatever reason - mapping the fretboard/learning it by heart) the timer still might be useful. I could build in another switch with the options “link to drum track length” or “set manually”

I noticed that I have to think about it a bit. If my math isn’t off the length of one bar should be (Drumtracklength(-1s tail) / 42) * 4 so maybe it’s not as hard as you and I initially thougt.

Good suggestion either way!

2 Likes

@juli0r was that a light bulb moment?
Jamie

2 Likes

Yes. I made the post, went away and 3 minutes later I was like: “waaait a minute! Length of drumtrack facepalm

So currently clearly my math is off:

2 Likes

Tadaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :partying_face: :partying_face:
Thanks for your input and giving me something to do while my vocal chords (and/or neighbors) need rest.
Update!

The way it works now:

• Scale playing time unit now bars in measure
  • First Bar (count-in) ignored
  • Display time resets when drumtrack restarts

I’ll explain the last point a bit more in detail:
So the full track is always 42 bars, removing the first as it isn’t counted we have 41 bars.
If you set the display time to 4 bars then it will be changed for the last bar but when the drumtrack starts again the count is reset so it will only be changed after count-in+4bars.

The example with 4 bars is the ideal one when the display time in bars can is divisible by 40.

If you would set the display time in bars for example to 11 then it would change the last time at bar 33 go through the whole track, restart the track and then change only after count-in+11 bars so since it’s not synchronized with the end of the drumtrack the scale shown in the last set of bars will in fact be shown for 41-33+1+11=20 bars (41-33 = rest at end of drumtrack, 1 = count-in, 11 = scale display duration).

So I would recommend always choosing something that cleanly can divide 40. So 4, 8, 10, 20, 40. If you use the groove workout with silenced bars I would use 4, 8, 20 or 40 so it also syncs up with the silent bars. That’s the way I tested the timing.

3 Likes

@T_dub
While developing the display duration in bars feature I had an epiphany. Maybe. So it would not be much work for me but how about some orange in there as theme? Maybe a bit like the bassbuzz forum - mainly white, accents with orange and top bar in white on black!?

4 Likes

I think you are on to something there. LOVE IT

3 Likes

@T_dub Orange like this?
Jamie
:guitar: :star_struck: :guitar:

5 Likes

Oh hell yeah, I need a copy of that, she might be a tattoo, I gotta get hands on a good pic of that add
I may even add the orange stack, depends where she goes.

Not really like her her, like a pin up head, or even a Harley Quinn head, but that pose, Bass, stack, killer
I actually thought it was a pin up head on her when I looked at it small, before enlarging the photo. Lol

2 Likes

Awesome! Big thanks for doing that! I spent 20 min on it this morning doing 4 bar scales with 1 silenced bar and it works like a charm. And I’m into the orange theme suggestion :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

You are welcome and thanks for the suggestion - it was really something that had a nice effort/value rating as it was easy and I think it adds a lot of value to be able to time the flashcards in sync with the drumbeat.

Although I noticed something about the timing.
If you set it up the first time everything works like a charm, but if you stay on the site, change it and start a drumbeat again something is wrong. Active refresh (F5) should take care of that as a workaround and I’ll probably fix it around thursday/friday.

5 Likes