Grooveful.io - free drum machine to help your practice or just straight up jam (Open Beta)

Looks great! Solves the problem well.

2 Likes

Yep. Even showed all previous saves.
The buttons do look a lot better.
Still getting that Internal Server Error when using update on both Edge and Chrome.

1 Like

It should be fixed now @eric.kiser!

1 Like

I think the issue is that it wasnā€™t intuitive. I donā€™t know if most folks would think Save = Library or Save = Save to Folder. The UI is super clean tho, so maybe adding a tooltip explanation when hovering over those icons would solve it.

2 Likes

Dudeā€¦ this is awesome, as is fretful, which I didnā€™t know about. Thanks for putting in the effort! Iā€™m a software dev too, so I can see how much time youā€™ve spent on this. As a new bassist, I really appreciate it!

3 Likes

After losing a bunch of hours of my life while slowly descending into madness, I think this is related with the phone being muted (can you confirm?). There were some workarounds for this, but none seems to work with the current iOS versions

Thank you @agorski! And what a honor to be the target of your first post in this forum ;). Welcome!

Although it wasnā€™t directly related with Ericā€™s issue, I think youā€™re right though. Itā€™s not so obvious. Iā€™m slowly working on adding helpers to the features. With this release (0.1.15) BPM, Dynamic BPM and Tempo Trainer now have quick shortcuts for the tutorials, for instance.

Btw, sample velocity is now manageable on mobile with a long tap on an active sample pad. Also added ā€˜sample probabilityā€™, which gives room for a lot of new dynamics!

2 Likes

My first thought too but nope not muted. But now I noticed itā€™s not playing at all with the latest patch. The transport controls activate but the time cursor never moves.

2 Likes

I re-patched, removing a tentative work around for muted iOS. Can you refresh and try again?

1 Like

All good now! Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And to confirm, you have to unmute the phone, right?

1 Like

Holy hellfire, that is amazing. Really well done so far. I can see myself definitely using it.

2 Likes

Yep unmute required

2 Likes

Cool. I am an OG web designer/ui/ux person and spend a good chunk oā€™ time considering how visitors might interact with user interfaces. Totally loving both tools and sharing with other folks to help increase your beta feedback pool before you make your billions, mooohahahahahaha.

2 Likes

Any tip you might have, feel free!

Thank you for this :smiley: ! Fretful is due an update. Last few months were completely dedicated to grooveful, but I want to normalize everything between the tools eventually (similar UI, similar strategy with the helper tutorials, same changelog updates, etc.)

I donā€™t believe thatā€™s a reality for practice tools :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I also really like this tool. Just recently got a Zoom B3 to play along with its drum beats, since I was getting a little tired of YouTube ads when I just wanted to practice. One of the challenges I have with this (and also Garageband) is that I donā€™t know enough about drums to know what I want to set things up as. GarageBand does have some drummer sets, that I think I should learn how to use better - but are there some ā€œget up and startedā€ templates available here? Or ways to share the beats (vs just saving for myself). I really do like the tempo trainerā€¦I just was talking this to a friend who mentioned I should just try doing the muting with iOS shortcuts. So now, as Iā€™m playing along with the song on iOS, itā€™ll also randomly mute itselfā€¦and I need to keep playing along and hope that Iā€™m still in sync when the volume unmutes itself. Itā€™s a pretty good compliment to practicing with the ā€œadult bandā€ at School of Rock. Any of us are likely to drop out at any timeā€¦and I need a way to make sure Iā€™m prepared for thatā€¦which playing with a recording doesnā€™t really do.
UPDATE: Found Load patterns! Thanks!

2 Likes

Oh, I know your pain. Some might remember I started a thread asking about the fundamentals of drums. Well that path led me into building a drum sequencer :sweat_smile:. Part of my learning process is to program something related with what Iā€™m trying to learn (fretful happened because I wanted to understand chords and scales). So, yeah, you have the ā€œLoad Patternsā€ as you already know. I want to build more presets, but itā€™s not the priority for now. Iā€™m focused on usability at the moment.

Indeed there is! With this button:

I recommend you take the Overall Tour on the help sidebar, which you can open by clicking here:
It goes through every feature without losing itself in details

I also really like it, and itā€™s a lot of potential for growth. I want to expand it with silences on beats instead of whole bars, randomizers, etc. But I need to really think it through. Itā€™s an easy feature to mess up! Iā€™m open to suggestions :slight_smile:

ā€“

Btw, if you go to the settings (below the help button), you can enable the visual metronome. It might be handy for tempo training also!

PS: I just noticed an issue on the first time the metronome plays. Iā€™m patching it now

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional info. The Share button seems to be overlooked in the overall tour. My random muter isnā€™t in sync with the music at all. I was wondering if that was going to be a problem. But I find it helps me always be aware in a sense. Like instead of relying on cues from the drummer or guitar, it forces me to be more aware of where we are in the song. It also helps me practice re-syncing with the music when it comes back in after a 3-5 second pause. Iā€™m starting to play with other folks also learning their instruments, so weā€™re doing a lot of resyncing. So the less structured muting helps simulate the randomness of playing with my bandmates pretty well. Dunno if that helps with your feature requirements gatheringā€¦but just another data point at least.

2 Likes

Itā€™s actually a great input! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Indeed it is. My bad. Iā€™ll update it on the next iteration!

1 Like

I just went through the tutorials. You have done a massive amount of work on this. Little things, like tap tempo and how you implemented the potentiometers, all turned out really nice. I look forward to seeing how it all develops.

Iā€™m not sure itā€™s even necessary but do you plan to implement a way to download a completed piece?

2 Likes