Had a crappy practice session

I started to practice last night. I deviated a little from my SBL lessons and went back over some of the things I learned in B2B. Spent about 30 minutes on it. I put the bass down for several hours and spent time with the wife and dogs, ate and went in to do my normal SBL lessons. I SUCKED! I started on my StingRay and had some string buzzing, moved to the Warmoth P/J and it clanked. I went back to the Warmoth 54P that I truly love and figured out for some reason I was plucking too hard and was not fretting where I should have been. There was nothing wrong with the basses, it was me. I worked on some songs from SBL that I have pretty much nailed and it took me multiple attempts to get them right. I was making mistakes all over the place. Beginning, middle, end of a song, it did not matter. My touch and timing where all over the place. I kinda felt “special”, I could not get my fingers to do what I needed nor did my mind make the mental connections that allow us to move smoothly to the next note or phrase. Getting old sucks!

13 Likes

This is why I have saxophones.
…and why I have basses, lol.
Sometimes, just put it down and go watch Twin Peaks.
Beats throwing it out the window or selling it all (you will want to do both at points on your journey.

9 Likes

Thats normal for me also. Somedays are great and it seems like you cant do anything wrong.
Other days, seems like nothing goes right. Im sure everyone has those moments.

10 Likes

We all have bad days

11 Likes

We all have bad days. Walk away. Tomorrow is another day.

10 Likes

This happens to me about once every 4-6 weeks (maybe closer to 4 if I’m being honest). Just a disconnect for whatever reason. Only thing I’ve discovered is to recognize when it’s happening and then just walk away. It’s even more frustrating to fight it - switch basses - get all focused on where your thumb is on the neck, etc. Nope, it’s just an off day. Come back tomorrow and I’ll be just fine.

10 Likes

It happens, Eddie. It sucks when it does, for damn sure, but it all comes around.

Just take it as an opportunity to do something else you love. Wife and dogs are definitely high on the list here.

Don’t let it get in your head. The good thing about playing an instrument is that, if you finally nailed something you were working on, you know you can do it again. That was you playing. Off days can’t take that away from you, although it seems like it. Fuck 'em. You’ll do it again, with gusto.

8 Likes

It happens! When I have a really bad day gear tends to get sold and bought. LOL

9 Likes

:rofl:

5 Likes

Sounds pretty much like playing golf :wink:

8 Likes

Yeah, except with golf the days of suckitude are pretty much every day.

7 Likes

True that :joy:
(there are, however, those rare moments that make you come back and try again)

4 Likes

Very much like playing a slot machine.

5 Likes

There is no such thing as “good” practice or “bad” practice. There is only practice. You showed up and did the work to the best of your abilities. That still contributes to your overall improvement, even if it doesn’t feel like that now.

Don’t discount the effort you made by just showing up and doing the work. Many, many more people intend to practice but don’t.

13 Likes

Yep well said. We all have bad days, but you still got something out of that practice session.

5 Likes

Actually, even though it took several starts and re-starts on some songs that I had nailed previously, I did get them back under my fingers towards the end of the practice session.

8 Likes

@EddieJones I had a terrible practice day yesterday too, probably the worst one I’ve had. My fingers kept fumbling, hitting the wrong notes, clanking the strings, just everything going wrong on songs I’ve practiced a lot and have been gradually improving on. And I was noticing big time where I need a lot of work (muting for starters) and ended up having to put the bass down and walk away. So I empathise with you. Here’s to a better practice!

7 Likes

Sometimes you’d have a bad day, too much coffee or not enough. If you find yourself in and out of the pockets then do something else. It helps to walk away and do something else for half and hour then it might be enough to reset. If not there’s always tomorrow.

5 Likes

I’m new here. I am guessing the B2B is Bass to Badass but what is SBL?

4 Likes

Yes, B2B is Beginner to Badass and SBL is “Scotts Bass Lessons” - another online lesson site… Welcome!

4 Likes