Had to Share

Today, I auditioned and was accepted into a beginner to intermediate band at the local music school in town! I’m so excited!! I have never played with anyone before prior to today. My audition consisted of playing two songs of my choice with a drummer and keyboard player. It was so fun! They also asked me to play 8 bars reading chords which i did ok on. The lead guy said i have “good feel and rhythm”. The drummer said i was steady as a rock and he was listening to me to keep on time.

I took up bass during covid and went through beginner to badass and took lessons for about 3 mos. I’ve got some musical background in chorus and piano, but i never got really good at anything. I always wanted to learn bass and a new friend had an old fender j bass in storage and sold it to me. I’m 58 years old and joining a band! I pleasantly surprised myself today! This was way outside my comfort zone and i almost bailed, but i did it and I’m glad i did. Practice starts next Wednesday. I think it’s going to be a ton of fun! Wish me luck. Thanks Josh!

Ps i picked “i love rock n roll” and “lady marmalade” as my two songs. Threw in some “you know I’m no good” and “sultans of swing”.

Janis like Joplin

32 Likes

Big congrats! That’s great! Have tons of fun.

2 Likes

Way to go!! Enjoy the experience!

3 Likes

That’s really cool. Congratulations!
:sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

Outstanding

3 Likes

So Cool!!! Playing music with other musicians is THE BOMB!!.. It’s an entirely different dimension and atmosphere… Enjoy!!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

3 Likes

Way to go @connellj65 ! That’s how you live the rock and roll style, lol. You are one fit throwing and tantrum away from being a bonafide band member, ha ha.

4 Likes

Awesome! Congratulations and keep us posted on how it’s going :metal:t3:

2 Likes

Way Cool @connellj65

Well Done,
Cheers

1 Like

Congratulations! I’m sending you positive vibes! Good luck!

1 Like

Ain’t that the truth :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

If the band does not work out there are always jam sessions.
Less ego and tantrums with just as much fun. IMHO

2 Likes

That was so cool to read. Inspiring actually. I am 61 and always wanted to try to play with others but always chicken out. I’ve played drums for years and recently took up bass. Your story spoke to me. Congratulations!

2 Likes

Great to hear! I’m 51 and have been playing (kind of) since 1990 but never joined a band and still consider myself not very good. My goal is to be able to play with a band and be respected for my chops (even if nobody ia calling me the next Milt Hinton) by the time I’m 60. You’re story helps me believe I’ll be able to find some folks to play with one day.

2 Likes

Give it a go and see what happens. I figured the worst thing that could happen is that i don’t get in the name, but i get my playing and guitar setup evaluated for free.

First rehersal is tomorrow. Wish me luck! I’ll let you know if I’m the oldest person in the band. I’m stoked!

3 Likes

I’ve never thought about it till now, but I might be the oldest person in my School of Rock bands. Thanks!

Anyway, it’s a blast, people always comment on how happy I look. And that’s with my concentrating face on. I’m feeling way happier inside. You mentioned it’s a local music school band - so you’re all learning - and that’s gonna make rehearsal that much more fun. Seeing yourselves grow together over the next few weeks/months/years. It’s the best positive peer pressure I’ve been around.

Congrats!

4 Likes

That rocks!