Hand/Arm issues? Problems? Solutions? Do tell

It’s just terrible that you more accomplished players have to deal with this. Maybe try a tennis elbow brace. Who knows it may help.
http://www.consumerreporting.org/tennis-elbow-brace/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_emZjI-T3QIVWBmPCh3B_gaMEAAYAyAAEgIO7PD_BwE

4 Likes

Anyone out there playing with / through arthritis? Anyone have a history of it in the family? It’s something my parents both speak about with ominous foreshadowing, as though it is something I’ll have to deal with in due time. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Doesn’t sound particularly conducive to bass playing…

4 Likes

Just gone through the page. I do the pick/finger switcheroo. I practice till my fingers get that little burn on the pads, then I switch to pick. This has helped me a lot in a live situation. Keeping the arm/fingers warm, not hot or cold helps ease any muscular strain too. I noticed cold affected me more at a gig in December in Stirling, Scotland. I was shaking with the cold and playing became very hit and miss. Almost embarrassing save for a very drunk and swaying audience. I found the same happened in an overly hot situation. Cramps came on quicker. Temperate conditions seem to help. Unlike my advice which seems all over the place. Gosh, I’m old.

4 Likes

Have a friend who swears by tea tree oil as a natural treatment for carpal tunnel.

4 Likes

Tea Tree oil and Arnica oil - those were my old bass teacher’s recommendations too. Thanks!

4 Likes

Hey there Gio, thanks for your input on this subject; I have lost finger and have 2 different kinds of arthritis in my hands, wrists, and elbows. Playing the bass is possibly the best therapy that I have found…that, and some help from 2 wonderful women who know a lot about herbs and the like.

5 Likes

@inspectorirv - that’s great to hear! I love that the act of bass playing can be therapeutic. That holistic herbal knowledge is golden. Glad you’ve got some deep wisdom on your side working for you.
I’m currently going to two different types of muscle and joint therapy each week to try and get out in front of my own hand issues.
For me a lot of the relief comes from breaking up scar tissue and letting the muscles finally relax and de-contract.
I don’t know if that sounds like anything that would benefit you, but I’m awash in information these days and would be happy to share.

5 Likes

Glad to hear you found a promising path Gio!

I’ve had to deal with these as I spend tons of hours in front of a computer. I had a couple light carpal tunnel episodes, and tons of neck muscles contractures due to so many hours staring at a screen, our necks are not designed for that!. Broke a collarbone on a bike crash, too…

Massages helped, but the definitive solution was:

• Posture Higyene: watch out for bad “resting” posture habits, or techniques that force your wrist

• Strenght. If muscles and tendons are not strong, the damage usually goes to the joints. Get muscles supporting the joint strong and problems will go away.

For me a lot of the relief comes from breaking up scar tissue and letting the muscles finally relax and de-contract.

Couldn’t agree more. I could barely reach for the safety belt in the car… (rotator cuff due to bike crash) doctors said surgery, but I took three months of suffering at the gym instead, is actually breaking those scars in muscles/tendons, what is required (and aches) to regain all movement.

6 Likes

I have had recurring spasms /pain between my fretting hand ring and middle finger about an inch below the webbing, between the knuckles. I hope it will improve as my fingers get stronger.

3 Likes

Just read through the thread. I haven’t dealt with the exact issues mentioned above but I have had to make adjustments along the way. #1) Don’t stand/sit still when you play. When you move about you shift weight and tension all over your body so your not stressing certain parts of it. This seriously cuts down on over all fatigue. #2) Get a WIDE strap. The weight of your bass hanging on a regular strap is distributed over about 4 sqare inches of area. A wide strap increases the surface area to about 8 square inches which effectively cuts the “gravity” of your bass in half. You experience less pounds of pressure per square inch on your shoulder. I noticed that all of my “issues” were on my left hand and arm. It’s amazing how much a little stress on your shoulder will screw stuff up. #3 Change the way your holding the bass periodically. raising the neck a couple inches, especially while playing high on the neck will do wonders. #4) Rest once in awhile. Basses are heavier than guitars by and large and I tend to forget that until my shoulder reminds me. Hopefully there is something in this that will be helpful to you or others.

3 Likes

Hi! This is my first time posting in the forum. Exciting.

I am experiencing tendonitis/carpal tunnel-like pain in my forearm, wrist, and fingers. It got so bad a couple of years ago I ended up in urgent care (for convenience, mostly), and had to wear a brace for two weeks. I think it was caused by a combination of playing the bass, working at a computer all day, and drawing (i.e. the ultimate nerd injury).

I just started the beginner to badass course a couple of weeks ago and now it’s flaring up again. I consider myself intermediate, but kind of sloppy and was flying through the course, playing about an hour a day. So between that and likely bending my wrist too much, I wasn’t doing myself any favors.

I would love to find some more structured information on this topic. In the meantime, I plan to: take ibuprofen, wear a brace when I sleep, TRY to rest my arm/wrist, and after reading this thread try: CBD oil, tea tree oil… all the oils.

Dr. Josh, can you make a video about this please? Or maybe about proper, posture/position and/or some general watch-outs?

3 Likes

This video saved me from an RSI:

5 Likes

Thanks, @howard! Appreciate this. I definitely have some pain in my left hand as well—but I should have mentioned that it’s my right hand/arm that’s the problem.

4 Likes

He has a right hand technique one too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just so that we are absolutely clear: it is mainly your plucking hand that is causing you issues (right/left can be confusing)!?!? Could you perhaps get someone to take a pic of you while playing/plucking? Are you digging in too hard with your fingers? Could you try to play with a plectrum instead?

3 Likes

I have dealt with Carpal Tunnel / Tendonitis symptoms for 20 years. It started for me in college for a combination of playing/practicing, and then - in down time - video games/computer/drawing.
Similar nerdcore!!

I have to take it very easy still. Be very careful about the amount of tension and force you play and practice with. Massage the forearm muscles regularly after playing. Exercise. You need strong back, core and shoulder muscles to support the smaller muscles of the forearm and fingers.
Breathe. Make sure you’re getting enough air when you play.

What hand is giving you the most problems?

4 Likes

This has my attention. Did you find the standard white attachment sufficient or would you recommend another of the attachments they offer?

2 Likes

That was actually the first Adam Neely video I ever saw, and it’s a good one. I’ve been watching him ever since. He has grown and developed so much since he did this one in 2010.

3 Likes

Sorry. That is confusing. It’s my right/plucking hand. I usually play with a pick in the band I’m in… and I think that’s why I’m having issues now, with these lessons. I was foolish and not using proper posture/bending my writ too much and didn’t realize that until it was too late.

4 Likes

Yeah, you’re totally right about getting regular exercise. It’s been tough with COVID and working from home. I work long hours at a desk and then usually jump right into lessons.

It’s my right/plucking hand.

4 Likes