Hand/Arm issues? Problems? Solutions? Do tell

Yes - though my favorite was the extra firm. I don’t recall if it came stock. Probably not. I actually broke it and need to reorder. Highly recommended!!

4 Likes

I am in the EXACT same boat these days.
My right hand is the problem hand (the mouse hand/trackpad hand) and I am working more from home as well.

It has taken me until these last 2 months to finally have the motivation and discipline enough to find a new exercise routine I can do at the house.
And I have to have blood flow or my right hand swells up after an intense playing/tracking/practice session.

Please please! Find a routine that works for you and build up the muscle stamina and your cardio! It is a foundation from which all other muscle movements flow. PARTICULARLY while working from home in a lock-down envirnoment!
It’s been very brutal.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Here’s the right hand technique video for anyone following. Thanks, @howard!

4 Likes

If you need a new unit the Roflex may be of interest to you. It was invented by Terry Cross, the same inventor of Armaid, but is slightly less expensive and targets more parts of the body. Mine should be here in about a week. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I just read the title post of this thread for the first time, so I’ll throw out some random pieces of information about things that persist.

My sister has hyper mobility, a less severe form of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. When things move around more than they should this can cause pain.

When things move around more than they should when one doesn’t have a syndrome, this can be due to weaker or unbalanced muscle groups. In my experience it would have been impossible for me to figure out and do with proper form the necessary strengthening exercises without someone watching me and coaching. Getting the right effect can be slight leans, weight shifts or even where in your body you are pulling from. A shoulder problem can be caused by the chest muscles being stronger than the back muscles and rolling the shoulder forward. If my shoulder gets pulled forward, I can’t reach the first frets without pain.

Pain can also be caused by inflammation. In my case mostly due to foods. Allergists only test for fast reacting allergies that cause sneezing, itching. A naturopathic doctor will test for slow reacting sensitivities that show up as inflammation in the body. There are ideas that many diseases are the ultimate end result of chronic inflammation due to food sensitivities.

Many foods that produce ill results for significant numbers of people are so common that it seems impossible they could be allowed if they were so bad. And yet. Most of the population is literally sugar addicted, for example. If you don’t believe it try to quit and see if you actually manage to do it. And then when you try to avoid it, it becomes amazing to find out how many things it’s in.

Anyway, if you run out of mainstream medical answers and still have issues, there are other avenues to consider exploring.

5 Likes

Hi @DaveT! Whoa. I also have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (hypermobility type). The last time I was treated for this type of wrist pain (when I went to urgent care), they didn’t think it was related. But who knows. Obviously, I have to work extra hard to stay in shape/stay strong. So maybe I got injured more easily because of it. I’ll ask at my next appointment. I also have fibromyalgia and some kind of autoimmune disease. But this pain is very specific to my tendons/wrist/fingers and not like the regular pain I experience because of those things.

5 Likes

The old adage that “everything is connected” unfortunately holds very true when it comes to body aches and medical issues. Some of your current pain might stem from a bicycle accident twenty years ago, where they treated you for the “obvious” (say, a chipped tooth), but relegated everything else to bruises and (temporary) soreness.

And then of course all the environmental factors that influence you and your health (and here, I am mean everything external to the body, including food, traffic noise, work related stress, and so on). Who then, on top of all that (including congenital issues), really needs auto-immune diseases as well?? I have got a few of those that slowly came creeping over the last 5-10 years. Some are merely a “cosmetic” problem, others potentially more severe. And it begs the questions: where does it end? Can I stop or reverse these things??

As @DaveT said: it can be worthwhile looking outside and beyond mainstream medicine, but use plenty of common sense and don’t fall for just every snake oil out there!

6 Likes

I’ll chime in on this one. I was right handed before the diagnosis of Early Onset Parkinsons. It was just too difficult to use my right hand/ arm for anything very detailed oriented. (IE writing, typing, picking up an pen off a table). I’d get frustrated trying to do simple tasks. So I compensated a LOT using my left. Even learned to write left handed. Usual male machismo, procrastinating going to the Doc.

During these hand/arm movements, there is a small shudder, hitch, stop and start again, or what have you. Not just my hands suffer but feet and legs as well. I wasn’t falling or tripping but, my shoes would nearly always squeak the floor by dragging the bottom of my shoe.

After a few doctors and many more exams it was decided on Pakinsons, which is uncommon for someone in their 40s. The medication helps to keep things fluidly moving and I can tell a HUGE difference between on and off meds.

I do have problems playing bass some days. My hands just rather do their own thing. Especially my right index and middle fingers, the two I use to pluck & strum. I sometimes have trouble with faster 1/4th or 1/8th notes or faster. But I’m stubborn and just makes me practice that much harder.

After several weeks of playing bass, I can tell a difference. Exercising my hands is working. Bass is good for the body and soul :wink:

10 Likes

Words of truth.

3 Likes

Scott Devine from Scott’s Bass Lessons has similar issues, and he wears gloves to calm his fingers down. He has some other kind of neurological disorder though, not Parkinson’s, so not sure if gloves would help you or not. Might be worth a shot anyway.

Here’s the video where he explains it:

5 Likes

nice, thanks for the tip. I’ll be sure to check it out. :+1:

3 Likes

Can’t decide if this is a gym thing or a bass thing, but the first joint of my left index finger (the part that you knock on doors with) has been hurting a bit for the past couple of weeks. It’s not too noticeable when I work out or play bass, but I can make it hurt quite a bit if I curl it up all the way and squeeze, or if I pull hard on something with just my fingertip (like tearing open a plastic bag). It’s also sensitive to pressure.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

2 Likes

Beginning arthritis, I am afraid… I think I know exactly what you are talking about and know the feeling!

Not sure what to recommend though - it is something we have to (and can) learn to live with!

2 Likes