"Hand made" Definitions, hype and questions to think about

Exactamundo!

1 Like

That was actually made famous by Harvey Pennick but I disagree slightly because every time I get a new driver (to me) that’s less than a month old, I’d drive it about 10-15 yards longer on average, lol. Then it’s slowly dropped the distance til I get a new one(s).

1 Like

Don’t get rid of them. Just park ‘em in a shed. They get better with age. :rofl:

2 Likes

Well this thread has generated a lot of comments in two days.

As far as I can glean, the likes of Gibson and Fender factories are full of people doing one job, hopefully really well. Where significant use is made of woodworking machinery, to rout solid bodies and carve neck profiles etc. The net result should be excellent repeatability and high quality standards. Which should lead to a playable instrument (and that’s what we want), assembled by hand. So, unless you pay for ‘custom shop’ or ‘boutique’ instruments, you know it came from a factory environment.

I’m coming at this from the point of view of someone who took up making electric basses in the first COVID lockdown to kill time (I’m working on number 14). By making basses, I mean the woodwork. All the metal parts are purchased / swapped / recycled, though I have made a foray into winding pickups. From putting pencil to paper to making amplified sound takes me about 120 hours (if it goes well), which is about three weeks work (spread over three months). I’m sure a luthier could do it quicker but at minimum wage that’s at least a £2500+ instrument (that’s the price of a pretty good carbon fibre framed road bike). So, if you really want a hand-made bass, it should be expensive enough to make you think carefully about committing.

I use a cordless drill and an electric palm router, which I’m pretty sure is not cheating, though I have never used a template. Once I have worked out how to use Fusion 360, I’m going to CNC rout a double bass top out of a skip-surfed elm table top, in my employers MakerSpace. That probably is cheating but I watched a video of Benedict Puglisi making a double bass, and decided I simply don’t have the time / skill / tools to do it properly (hand-made).

Making a Meyer Double Bass: Chapter 1 “THE FORM” - YouTube

Surely, hand-made gives the owner the opportunity to have a unique instrument. A factory will only made what is on their menu (at the moment).

2 Likes

New here, I like it already.

I understand what you are saying, I’ve been involved in instrument construction for 40 years, I apprenticed the old school way, before that I was invloved in learning mechanical drawing and drafting.

I’ve never owned a cnc, I have operated them, which as long as the files are correct is not that big of a deal. Up until now I haven’t used them in my business, but at the beginning of this year I have become involved with a new start up company; I am designing instruments (guitars at this point) as well as building the prototypes.

I have been working with a gentlemen in Chattanooga, Tn. (I’m near Nashville, about a 3 hr distance), we have been working together transferring my drawings into computer files. I have learned so much from this Man. I think what he does is an art. It has been an education.

Thes instrumnets will enventually be almost 100% built by a factory operating cncs. This is the only way that one an do large scale production and keep the prices somewhat reasonable.

As for your question, I feel confident that I could build you a bass completely with hand tools. I have no idea how long it would take, I also can’t imagine what I would have to charge you to make it even remotely possible.

I consider the instruments that I build to be “Handcrafted”, smoke and mirrors maybe, but my hands are involved with literally every process.

I have seen a few builders that do build with no power tools, and they do beautiful work. It’s just not for me. Many builders that I know use cnc’s for the dirty work; removing material, then they do the detailed work.

So many ways to reach the same goal.

I remember SX bass used to have something to the effect of “Handcrafted” under their logo, I do think that is pushing it… Lol.

5 Likes

Welcome, @Moonshine. Consider letting the gang know more about yourself at Introduce Yourself! (2023)

I have known many master luthiers who built handmade custom acoustic steel string guitars using hand tools almost exclusively. Band saws and jig saws were used for rough work, as were palm sanders, but the rest was muscle, sweat and very sharp hand tools and sandpaper.

As for how much such a hand-crafted instrument would sell for, considering the many hours of labor and expertise involved, it is a lot. A whole, whole, whole lot. But to a person who wants a completely unique and customized instrument - from choice of tonewood combinations to hardware to neck thickness/width/profile to scale length to soundboard responsiveness to finish(es), etc., etc., etc. - the cost is worth it.

My first handmade guitar cost me $6,500 over 20 years ago. Guitars from that same master luthier today start at $25,000.

His pieces, as well as many others built by his peers’, are art, although the visual simplicity of many masterbuilt steel strings belie how outstanding their tone and playability actually are. It takes holding them, playing them, and hearing their voices to fully appreciate their beauty and worth.

4 Likes

“Many hands touched this instrument.”

2 Likes

Man that shop must have big windows.

3 Likes

What you describe is pretty much how I build, I do have a really nice thinkness sander and I rough out necks on a belt sander, but I shape with a variety of files/rasps. I’m also a big fan of scrapers.

What I was referring to in response to your initial question was building an instrument with no power tools whatsoever, something I’ve never done and wouldn’t. My hats off to those that do, it’s just not my cup of tea.

Up until this new company, I have been a custom builder. Mostly solid body electric guitars and basses, but acoustic, hollow/semi hollow body and my passion, resonator instruments as well.

My instruments are not inexpensive, I am fortunate to have a customer base that appreciates what I do, several are repeat customers.

Thanks for the welcome!

4 Likes

Very cool!

Please post pics of some of your builds. All are welcome, but, in particular, basses would be of interest to folks here.

2 Likes

This is amazing and I would love to see some of your works :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you both.

My company is Moonshine Custom Guitars (moonshineguitars.com Moonshine Custom Guitars)

Here are a few builds…

13 Likes

Wow!

1 Like

Holy crap! Those are gorgeous!

I love this one and your take on the Longhorn.

5 Likes

Thank you.

3 Likes

I love that sunburst/ baby powder blue relic. It’s masterful. Imma steal the idea, lol.

3 Likes

talk about serious gas…

2 Likes

That seafoam relic bass!!! :star_struck: Stunning!

2 Likes

Some beautiful work there. Your name makes me think of my friend Benny, who lives not far from you and on one side his neighbor is the states poet laureate, and on the other side was the state’s most notorious moonshiner. Who was rather chill. Best cookouts.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the kind words. Since I am admittedly a glutton for attention, here are more.

7 Likes