Hanging or standing?

Hey all, any thoughts on pro’s or cons regarding wall hanging, or floor standing your bass? (sorry if this is already a topic…if so please send the link)

4 Likes

I have limited floor space and zero wall space in my home studio, so I use the Hercules double floor stand and absolutely love it! Whichever route you go just make sure the stand is sturdy. I had an a-frame and accidentally stepped on one of the legs as I was walking by the stand. The leg bent and I felt the headstock of the bass hit the back of my thigh causing me to stop dead in my tracks so I could reach back and grab the bass before it crashed to the floor.

5 Likes

I use wall hangers. The main reason is that we have a dog; with a big tail. We also foster dogs and some of them have had a hard start in life and are unpredictable i.e they might chew things. So hanging instruments out of the reach of canines works for me. YMMV.

I use String Swing and Hercules. But I prefer the String Swing hangers.

https://ca.stringswing.com/shop-all/stringed-instruments/guitar/

9 Likes

I just did the wall mount. Freed up a lot of floor space.

8 Likes

I’ve got a couple of wall hangers which I will use once I know if and when we’re relocating.
Funnily enough I received a new floor rack today which uses a system to hold the neck like a wall hook after constantly worrying about how easily the basses moved in my old rack which had pegs separating each bass

2 Likes

I use floor stands, but just got a Hercules 3 instrument rack and the hardware to make it a 5 instrument rack. I hear that one thing about hercules racks is the materials won’t mar your finish over time, which I hear other brands can do. Haven’t owned a bass long enough to find out.

Also have an A stand next to my amp to set it down while practicing

5 Likes

Just this very second done the same thing :+1:

5 Likes

I have mine hanging since I don’t have much floor left in here :joy:

8 Likes

I use wall hangers, but I’ve run out of wall, so there are a few basses on floor stands. If I had my time again, I would organise my wall hangers on longer arms from the wall, angled at 45 degrees so that they made more effective use of space. This would not make them as much fun to enjoy looking at, but there would be less on the floor where they tend to get bumped far more often.
There’s some possible wall space left, but it will be inconvenient to find secure studs in.
I just need more convenient wall.
Anyone who suggests I can get rid of basses, you can just go to hell. You are a negative person and I don’t need you in my life.

5 Likes

I will eventually hang mine but using a stand is the path for now. We are in a rental having just moved back to our home state of TX, but when we buy or build (hopefully in the next year or so) I will hang them in my office/bass man-cave.

I have a Hercules two guitar stand and love it but the triangular legs take up a lot of floor space, so I have it folded away in the closet and bought a Fender 5 guitar rack for the time being.

8 Likes

I doubt anyone here would suggest such a thing.

4 Likes

You can always build another wall. You can never have enough basses!! LOL

4 Likes

Or build a shed to put them, but at some point you gotta let some go if not your therapy bills would put pace your GAS, lol.

I use all 3 methods hanging, standing and racking.

11 Likes

Don’t forget an HVAC system for humidity and temperature control . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Now that is a Practice Space.

“where do you practice your Bass, in the bedroom, garage, living room”

“No man, what are you talking about, I have my own bass shed, doesn’t everybody”

5 Likes

I have young kids. Floor stands are not an option. I out my cheap bass on a Hercules wall stand and my nice bass unfortunately has to stay in its case when I’m not using it. I don’t trust my kids not to damage that even if it’s hanging out if their reach. Things can be thrown. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well I share the shed with my 2 daughters, in fact that’s the pitch I made to my wife. Bought and sold. “Hon, I think it would be great if the kids have a little play room for their toys, and I can hang a few basses on the wall” Lol.

5 Likes

Very cunning @Al1885 :+1:

3 Likes

To be fair I did. I only have a few basses up, but you know…one thing led to another

5 Likes

Man, those two basses must have been HORNY!!!
They breed faster than rabbits.

2 Likes