Hard Case vs. Gig Bag?

So, I haven’t had to transport my bass anywhere…to date. BUT, when buying a case/gig bag…what are the pluses and minuses of each, or what’s your preference and why?

Gig bags are more versatile, i.e., some of the best ones feature tough materials and reliable zippers, great padding, and lots of pockets/compartments for stowing accessories, tablets, etc.

Hard cases vary in quality and protection, but all are secure enough for traveling to gigs. The best ones are TSA-accessible and airline shipping safe. Those are also much heavier and expensive.

3 Likes

If you’re traveling in the car? Gig bags are easier to deal with. Hard cases are bulky. Gig bags also have shoulder straps which are very useful. Some are quite well padded, rivalling shells. Some keep the elements off and that’s all you can say

2 Likes

If I am the one transporting in my car, gigbag is fine. If bass is riding in a truck, or someone else is transporting, I prefer a case. Gigbags can vary in quality and features too, I prefer ones that have a structural frame, and have heavy duty quality zippers.

2 Likes

How about a gig-bag that acts like a case?
I dislike hard cases unless you are travelling by air and then you need a flight case.
Or if you have to pile in with a bunch of other instruments with a band, then a GOOD hard case is better - not all hard cases are all that good either.

The Mono “case” offers case quality protection in the form of a gig bag.
I like gig bags that are robust and have backpack straps.
The thin, cheap things they call gig bags with little to no protection is what you sell a bass in or ship a bass in (generally just to get rid of the cheap flimsy thing).

4 Likes

More here: Show us your gig bags!

3 Likes

Crikey! Some of those are more than I’ve paid for most of my basses! :joy:

Might actually grab another CNB gig bag though, for moving around in the car etc.
got one I’m about to give away cos it was for the old guitar, no use to me any more :sweat_smile:
good thick padding, strong zips, loads of storage in the pockets, good thick rubber carry handles. Great quality for the price :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Don’t forget that when you’re not using a hard case it can be a major hassle to store.
I lost count how many times my wife tripped over mine :joy:

1 Like

:joy: I was thinking the same thing! My first bass cost less than a lot of their options!

1 Like

For me it’s a no-brainer - I actively do not want hard cases. Basses should be stored in plain sight where you can enjoy looking at them, and hard cases take up so much space. For just getting around town, if I am carrying it, gig bags are fine and much preferable.

If I were flying or in a situation where the thing was going in a truck or being managed by others, only then would I want a hard case. But I would probably buy one and sell it afterwards, unless this was a common recurring thing. They are simply inconvenient.

4 Likes

Gig bags are generally lighter and easier to transport. Electric basses tend to be built like tanks and often don’t really need the extra protection that a hard case provides. Fender make very good gig bags for under $100.

2 Likes

Up until now, I only have gig bags… My last two basses came in one :sweat_smile:

As I’m mostly moving around in public transports, I’m not really tempted in getting a hardcase as they are bulky and unwieldy and I don’t think they are much use if you don’t travel by air. It would be nice however to have one just for putting all those band stickers I collected over time on :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Hi! If you carry your bass on the bicycle, get a gig bag with nice pads for the back, that’s nicer in the summer. It’s also important to have nice shoulder straps in any case.

Speaking of which, I should buy a better gig bag for the summer. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Rookie question. Could a gig bag work while flying? I certainly wouldn’t check a bass in one but what about as a carry-on?

2 Likes

Yep, as long as they allow you to carry it on.

If they insist on stowing it in the baggage compartment, you better have had a damned high-quality gig bag with lots of padding and structural integrity, or you’ll be singing the blues, not playing it.

1 Like

Very doubtful you will be allowed to bring it on the plane.

1 Like

Sec. 403 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 permits passengers to carry a guitar or another instrument in a plane’s cabin instead of a carry-on bag, as long as it will fit in normal luggage storage bins.

3 Likes

Travel bass, at best. A long scale won’t fit up above.

1 Like

I drive everywhere I need to go…so no problems regarding flight. BUT, when you slam on the breaks in your car, is it better to be speared in the back of your head with a case or a gig bag?? :grin:

2 Likes

A gig bag is a lot softer than a hard case. Still, I’d try to avoid any head-spearing opportunities. A car’s trunk does wonders for holding a bass. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like