Show us your gig bags!

I’ve searched the forum and while there are some older discussions on gig bags/cases, I couldn’t see anything dedicated to gig bags and photos of what you all have.

If you post a photo of your gig bag setup, could you please mention what you like or dislike about your bag/case?

3 Likes

I currently only have the cheapo stock Fender and Yamaha bags. They are nice in that they fold up easily for storage but that’s about it.

Yamaha’s midrange bags are awesome - very nice padding, decent gig bags for free. Those come with $500+ instruments.

I had a couple Warwick Rockbags and they weren’t bad. Not great but not bad, pretty nice for free really, but not up there with the Yamaha bags.

I had one megacheapo Cort bag. Not good.

2 Likes

I like this gig bag a lot. I have other ones, an FGN one, a Fender, a Gator, but this one from Road Runner is really well padded all the way around.

Pros
Well Padded
Secures the bass neck
Compartment to store stuff is the size of the bag - it’s flippin huge
Pocket on rear for other stuff
Little indent on the bottom to fit the strap lock (which sticks out if you have one, and you should)
You can set it down on its side and it doesn’t fall over.
Cons
Little bulkier than a regular cheap gig bag
Front storage not as convenient as the Gator

With my Gator, which is decent quality, I put my bass in the truck and go to my lesson, and it needs to be tuned. With the Road Runner, I rarely need to tune my bass for the lesson. It’s a little bulkier, the front storage while more isn’t as convenient. I don’t care. It’s a lot better padding and better protection. It goes on the daily pick for Guitar Center. I paid $50 for mine earlier this year. It’s worth the list price, my bass is well protected.

4 Likes

This is exactly the same bag that I have.

One thing that wasn’t mentioned is that it has shoulder straps (backpack style) on the back that can be stored in the rear pocket, as well as a hanging loop on the back.

I like it a lot. GC tried to sell me one when I bought my bass, but I balked at spending $100. I got this one when it went on sale last July at $50.

2 Likes

thought this was a good overview of cases/gig bags/traveling with guitars:

2 Likes

I have a ton of gig bags and hard cases. I may take some pictures later.

4 Likes

I have a Mono gigbag that I bought for my Yamaha BB that didn’t come with a case, and I also have a couple that came with new basses (G&L, Sandberg). I really like how @Wombat-metal’s bag opens up 100%. All of mine are more of a sleeve, where the zipper only opens around 80% and you have to slide the bass into the bag. I am always worried about scratching the body against the zippers even though they are plastic.

3 Likes

I occasionally GAS for a nice gig bag, but then remember that my basses never leave my place unless I am shipping them :rofl:

I do ship them in just the gig bag wrapped liberally in bubble wrap, but that’s common here. Delivery services here compete in part on taking care of packages, so much that when one is caught being even slightly negligent it makes the news.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Half of my collection is in gig bags or cases. The only bag I bought was a used Mono case for 1/3 of the price. I like cases for storing and gig bags for travelling.

4 Likes

All my hard cases are Yorkville - they’re an institution in Canada (and I’m pretty sure you can get them outside Canada, too). Everything about them is pure nostalgia and pure function at the same time. The sound of the clasps, the teddy-bear-plush interior, the smell of the wood frame and the adhesive, the texture of the tolex. Perfection! I especially love my teardrop p-bass case, as it has a fairly low profile / hardly takes up any more room than a gig bag.

https://accessories.yorkville.com/instrument_accessories/hard_cases/

3 Likes

Even the website is pure nostalgia :laughing:

7 Likes

These ibanez power pad bags are 35 dollars on eBay. They are very high quality and have substantial padding. I find i quite liked it, i am sure it’s higher quality than either of my roadrunners.

3 Likes

I built this for my wife’s keyboard. Keyboard cases are quite a bit more expensive than guitar cases especially for a full size keyboard. This one is super heavy. But at least the keyboard is protected when we take it places.

15 Likes

that’s a very great looking build !

5 Likes

That’s a badass case, @Paul_9207!

3 Likes

I stopped counting at 30

Hard bass cases on left, sax cases above and in back, gig bags in front.

Most times when I travel with a full sized bass I take my Gator gig bag, the most protection of all of them.

The other ones were accumulated from buys.
If I was going to ever play somewhere I’d take a hard case.

Saxes always get hard cases.
I actually have a custom, carbon fiber case for my Conn bari.
They run $2000 - it came with the horn, the last guy was dopey enough to buy it. Thank you dope.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great case, but I would never buy one on my dime.
Sax cases really do need to be top quality though.
Saxes in gig bags might as well just be taken straight to the repair shop.

6 Likes

I have a similar one to @John_E . Gator G-PG Bass Guitar Bag. Bought it from Thomann in Germany (biggest music store in Europe I think). Took about 2 weeks and saved myself $100 on Canadian pricing.

8 Likes

this one looks really cool !

I have to shoot some pictures of a few of my gig bags and cases to show the ones I prefer and I always use.

2 Likes

We have certain delivery services that are a dealbreaker for me. If an online shop only offers delivery by one of those, I really start thinking if I need that product at all.

And I certainly would not buy a guitar without proper insurance, if it is to be delivered by Hermes (probably in pieces) or DPD (delivery probably never going to happen).

4 Likes