Has anyone spliced a guitar cable

I’ve spliced loads of wiring in my life, mainly during my time in the army, and also in my civilian life, so I am very familiar and capable of splicing and/or soldering.
I need to cut a guitar cable and splice it back together in order to make it shorter, but I’m unfamiliar with what’s inside the cable. I don’t want to cut it without knowing what I’m getting into.
The reason I’m asking is because I have a couple of pedals that came with ridiculously long 1/4 mono cables attached to them. I really hate when they attach the cables to devices instead of providing a 1/4 input, but oh well.
I’m wondering if anyone here has messed around with cutting and splicing these cables that can share some insight into what I should expect when I cut them.
I couldn’t find anything on Google, so maybe I can find the answer here.

4 Likes

I’ve done that a million time. or two. what a surprise :joy:

nothing really fancy, in most cases it’s just a basic coax cable.

5 Likes

I’ve worked with lots of coax, RG-59 and RG-6 but this does not appear to be coax. It’s very thin, about the diameter of a USB cable but with a 1/4 inch jack on the end.

3 Likes

@PamPurrs, I found this video which might be useful TV & Electronics : How to Splice Coaxial Cables - YouTube

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks @Jazzbass19 but I’ve spliced miles and miles of coax while in the army and lot’s more since I got out. This is not coax though, it’s too thin to be coax.

Thanks for the help!

5 Likes

Show us what it looks like then. It’s bound to have a core which is the plus, and a shield around that, which is your ground.

3 Likes

@pampurrs , I noticed your previous post right after I made mine. If it’s not coax, then the video is useless to you. Sorry about that. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

If you’re asking me to show you the guts, I can’t because I haven’t cut it yet and don’t want to until I’m absolutely sure I’ll be able to easily splice it back together.

2 Likes

It’s not actually a “guitar cable” it’s the cable on the control pedals that connect to my SR-18 drum machine. It just happens to have a 1/4 jack on the end.

3 Likes

Have you got a multimeter, or something else that can measure resistance?
(And no, I’m not talking about significant-other-resistance against GAS, we’re talking electrical resistance here…)

4 Likes

Yes, I do.

I was just hoping someone here had already done this to save myself some headaches.

3 Likes

Right now I have it bunched up with zip ties under the pedal board and can live with it like that if I have to, but I just like my wiring to be neat and this seems a bit sloppy to me.

4 Likes

I have… more often than I’ve had warm dinners – takeout pizzas not included. :laughing:

It should be of the coax variety. Just send a pic of the uncut cable.

4 Likes

The pencil is there for perspective.

1 Like

Right. If you cut it, you’ll find an insulated core and a woven mantle. The core is the plus; the mantle is the ground.

Are you gonna do soldering?

3 Likes

If I have to I will, I’m a bit rusty at it though. I was hoping to find a couple of wires that I could twist together like electrical wiring.

2 Likes

Hmmm that sounds a lot like coax LOL

2 Likes

Oh foh fornicate’s sake… you prefer that over the tierap solution? That’s ground for divorce, woman!
:rofl: but seriously…

3 Likes

Okay, but I want the house and all your musical gear. You can keep the cats.

4 Likes

You see, this is why I married an engineer. :laughing:

3 Likes