Has anyone tried School Of Rock?

@PamPurrs When you find out about the current mask requirement let me know.
I think my state is suppose to drop all the mask requirements on June 30th anyway.

2 Likes

Arizona already has, but some businesses still require them (as is their right). I general just avoid those businesses.

5 Likes

Well, that sounded good at first, but then I read the description of the camp. The last sentence says,

Great for students 10-18 years of age who have had some previous instruction.

3 Likes

There’s a few of these around me and I looked into trying it out, but never moved forward on it. It seems like it would be a great (albeit expensive) way to meet other musicians and have some fun playing with a full band in a supportive environment, I just wasn’t a fan of the themes they were offering for the adult groups at the time.

Also imo you can likely find those 2 things for free on craigslist (or similar site) with a little patience. YMMV but I’ve come across plenty of no-pressure situations with no age hangups/etc, especially for bass players. Just be honest upfront – with yourself and others – about your current skill level and people are generally cool about it.

3 Likes

I have one in walking distance and it’s wall-to-wall kids. The only people there over 30 are the helicoptering parents.

4 Likes

I’ve got one a couple of miles from me but when I went to their website, it seems like it’s for young kids and teens only. I may look further into it when I finish with Josh’s course though.

2 Likes

I think once we’ve become adults, the world thinks we’re finished learning, growing, and developing new skills. Places like this think only of the youngsters, and completely disregard us older folks who are trying to catch up with things we were unable to accomplish in our youth.

4 Likes

Maybe there is an opening in the marketplace for a school of “old rock”

I know there is that fantasy rock camp for adults but none of us want to spend a couple thousand for a weeklong, pretend to be in a band fantasy.

I was also considering a couple in person classes at Guitar center just to make sure my technique is good – Josh can’t see me thru the videos .

Hmmm I wonder if he will ever offer a live class over zoom for an extra fee?

6 Likes

He does. I know @T_dub has done them.

3 Likes

Yes, just tag him in a post, and see if he has any open spots.
And he can see, and hear you on zoom

4 Likes

Hi,

I wanted to start a new topic in BadAss BassBuzz Alumni, but couldn’t. I guess BABBA is a topic, not its own forum. So, anyway I wanted to know what people thought about the School of Rock. (https://www.schoolofrock.com/) After signing up, you are placed in a group that learns songs together, then has a show. There are teacher mentors throughout, rehearsal space for the scheduled rehearsals, and optional private lessons. It is mostly a kid’s program, but they have an adult program, too. This is the kind of structured approach I respond well to. But it is really expensive, like $300-ish per month. That’s a ton of money for me. But it’s not like I’m going to set something up like that by myself, and I really want to start playing with other people for real. I won’t have time next time they open up for new students. They start a new season July 1st. What say you?

1 Like

@Paul_D I created a new topic for School of Rock here…

Has anyone tried School Of Rock?

@JoshFossgreen can you move this comment to the Has anyone tried School Of Rock topic?

4 Likes

Really cool idea. Seems expensive, unless you live right near one and will use the crap out of it. Closest ones to me are about a 45min drive right now. 1.5hr round trip drive would mean I won’t go enough to get my money out of it. Will keep my eye out to see if they ever come closer.

1 Like

I would have done it, but the theme for the adult group this season is '80’s hair metal, and I’m just not into that. It’s hard enough for me to focus on music I love long enough to learn a song all the way through. If I’m ambivalent, or if I don’t like the music, I can’t force myself. So maybe another time, though once work ramps up again, I probably won’t have time. Meanwhile, I may take a class with a local nonprofit called Jazz Night School. I won’t be playing bass because all the bass seats are full, but there is a solfegé class that I’m interested in. If I have time in the fall, the director said I have enough knowlege of chord tones and scales to join one of the Level One combos, which would be a dream come true. Funny, because with my long hair, I look more like I should be playing hair metal than jazz. Again, the problem will be scheduling around work.

4 Likes

Shoot 80’s hair metal! I would be there :slight_smile:

Jazz night school sounds interesting – I may have to look into that to see if something like that is happening around here.

4 Likes

Yeah, I would do that one. Not that I love 80’s hair metal, very little, like Ozzy, Van Halen, a little Motley Crue, but don’t fancy playing much of it.

Also I bet that Iron Maiden and Judas Priest would fit into that catagory, which would be good to learn.

Way I see it, if you got the time now, and won’t later, might be worth a shot.
I learn songs that I don’t fancy much, and I look at it like this, If I can make it thru a song I don’t really care for, and learn all the parts, from start to finish, WHEN I do to learn songs that I do like, it will be all the easier to learn.

I found that recently with trying to learn a Slayer song that I really like and Pantera Song that I love, and learning them was easy.
Not the technical part, that took a little work, but knowing the song structure, and changes and words and everything really helps.
HOWEVER
I think it is better for ME to learn songs that I don’t know, whether I like it or not, because that is a true exercise, and will help me down the road IMHO, better then if I stick with songs that I love, and know already.

PLUS, to do it in a BAND setting, and to be able to perform, hell, I would love to do that, and I would even put my fat ass in some skinny jeans and wear a wig. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That’s just my opinion, BUT, If you would seriously do it, and the only thing stopping you is because if it Hair Metal…
AND
You know this might be the one opportunity to do it due to work and other responsibilities popping up now the world is opening back up
AND
You might not get another chance to do it again, due to any reason life might throw at you,
Then, maybe think about at least signing up for the first free visit.
I would, but you don’t have to do anything you don’t want, I would just hate for you to miss the opportunity that is here now, that might now happen again.

2 Likes

Slayer! Ya T_dub we are in the same musical vein :slight_smile:
When I was a much younger Thrash metal fan I made so much fun of hair metal bands but now I can enjoy the simple fun tunes along with the heavy stuff.

Now with the benefit of age, my musical enjoyment has expanded greatly I can find value and talent in about every song.

1 Like

@T_dub All your points are valid; I’m just not sure my brain will let me work on music unless I really like it. @JoshFossgreen said as much in the final lesson. I already did the free lesson, they don’t offer a free group session at my local SoR.

They did mention Guns 'n Roses and Motley Crü specifically. Please don’t hate me, but I spent some time with Guns 'Roses on Spotify, and was bored. I’ll try some Motley Crü today. Should figure out how to spell it before I search…

2 Likes

Right there with you.
I love Slayer, and the bass lines are not super crazy insane hard, like the guitar parts, much of is played half time to the guitar, to add depth.
Slayer is Rad.
I just covered Seasons In the Abyss.
It is in the Post Your covers thread
Or in my @t-dub covers thread.
Check it out and tell me what you think.

Tom Araya’s playing is great, and his timing is impeccable, PLUS he Sings, and some of the open string chugging patterns, with one note thrown in here and there, usually on the And or a of a beat.
0-0-0-0 is one beat, so a bar while he sings is like
0--0- 0–0-0-. 0-0-1-0. 0-0-0-
Underscore is missing a beat
Count those
1-e-&-a 2-e-&-a 3-e-&-a 4-e-&-a
So it doesn’t look too hard, but at between 180 and 256bpm, the missed notes and the single note played, is a pain in the ass to play, let alone sing.
But once you play it over and over and get it engrained into you, you can play it. For me, I still can’t sing it.

Pantera, on the other hand, I LOVE Dimebag, he was my all time favorite guitar player, and I loved Pantera, Vinnie I always said was a machine on double kick drums, and Phil was a great front man, in the 90’s, it all sort of fell off after some things, but
I never really talked much about Rex Brown.
I thought, yeah, he is the bass player in one of my favorite band, he must rock, right.
Well
Now that I am starting to learn some of his lines, and see where his contributions to many songs was paramount, like, the song would not be the same song without his bass, which he wrote.
I know know that Dime sounded like Dime, because of Rex Brown.
Not to take anything away from Dime, I still love him to death, but I have new found love for Rex. Love and respect.

I didn’t listen to Damage Plan, I was not really in that scene anymore during those years, I was working to support my wife and the 3 little girls we were raising during those years, But I heard Damage plan didn’t sound that great, and something was missing from Dime’s sound. You can still hear his licks being played, but not with the same presence and depth that he had in Pantera.
I can only deduce from this, that REx was much more of Dime’s sound then anybody ever gave him credit for.
But, you want some fun, learn some pantera songs.
Not overly technical, there are some finger stretches, like on the opening riff of CFH, that is doable, but yeah, his bass parts are super cool.

Frank Bello is AWESOME.
@pam and I were on the interview as it was being broadcast yesterday, and he is so cool.

Now that Rex Brown is a HARTKE player, like Frank Bello, and with all of Dave Ellefson’s troubles, maybe HARTKE will start sending Rex and Frank out for the bass clinics they often do at music stores around the country.
That would be so damn cool.

1 Like

@T_dub Pantera and maybe Slayer will be on my Spotify today. Just to see. No Dime without Rex, you say? Such is the awesome power of BASS.

1 Like