Has anyone tried School Of Rock?

There is one near me. I looked into it but it was a bit expensive. However, not as expensive as most weekly private lessons I’ve seen. I do like the idea of having access to place where I can meet other musicians.

Taken from the website…

Depending on the program, School of Rock’s bass guitar lessons can cost from around $150 to $350 or more per month. Exact prices vary between locations. What’s included? Unlike most hourly bass guitar lessons, our programs include weekly private bass guitar lessons and group rehearsals that inspire confidence and build teamwork. Bass guitar students are also welcome to use our facilities whenever we’re open, even if they just want to hang out and learn from or collaborate with other musicians.

8 Likes

Sort of thing I’d try if it was over in the UK I think. Online lessons are great, but learning and playing live with others is wonderful.

2 Likes

I would do this in a heart beat if it were near me. There is not one in my state but a few drummer friends do it and they rave about it, particularly the experience of playing with other musicians of equal musical ability, in a ‘safe’ place.

6 Likes

Hmmm, they have it in my city.
Not sure i can spare the expense, but would love to do it.

3 Likes

Oh wow, you can schedule a FREE first group lesson. Hmmmmm
Gotta check my schedule.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s in that weird zone of being inexpensive compared to a 1-2 private bass lessons a week but still expensive in general.

2 Likes

Yeah, but it’s a pretty unique offering compared to private lessons, and the focus is on learning how to be in a band, where most of private lessons are how to be a player.

Of course, bass, being a band instrument, some of that trickles over, but it’s never separated quite like this.

3 Likes

Yeah it looks cool for sure. Plus one private lesson a week regardless of the group exercise is a good deal for even $300/mo. At least here.

3 Likes

As a mediocre drummer, I can say that my drumming has improved since taking up the bass. I feel like the more you know about other instruments the better it all sinks in. The value in this is definitely learning to play your part in the team effort - where you fit in, when to shine, when to sit back and let others shine. I’d LOVE to do it.

1 Like

Is anyone there over age 12? I can’t get the Jack Black movie out of my mind.

12 Likes

I looked at their website and they have Adult classes too. :slight_smile:

I thought the same though!

5 Likes

If Jack Black isn’t there I would feel cheated.

8 Likes

There are 13 of them in the Houston area (2 which are close to me). Might have to give it a try, just to expand my network if nothing else.

3 Likes

5 Likes

There is one near me that I pass all the time, and I’m tempted to just walk in and chat with them about it. It sounds like a great thing, but cost prohibitive for me.

5 Likes

Oooooh now THIS is tempting!
School of Rock | July Beatles Camp

4 Likes

Go for it!!!

3 Likes

I sent them a message inquiring if there’s a mask requirement. If there is, I’ll pass.

3 Likes

Do they offer the free trial class for it?

2 Likes

Yes, they do have a free trial, but I don’t want to do the free one unless I’m prepared to move forward with it.

5 Likes