Has anyone tried School Of Rock?

…and basically all of New Orleans proper…

2 Likes

OK, folks, video is up and…it’s rotated sideways :woozy_face: Music starts about 3:12. Either the compression is cutting off the beginning of my notes, or I’m dragging really bad. Must be the compression. Blame the engineer! The guitarist on the left is one of the staff substituting for one of our guys. It’s kinda rough; we gave it our best shot.

Overall, I’m a little disappointed with the performance an a little more disappointed with the school. They do give you the place, the equipment, and some decent guidance during rehearsals. I did not find the lessons very helpful. A couple of the vocalists said the same thing. I don’t know what kind of qualifications they had for the teachers. One of the best left right after this show. I notice Josh is no longer teaching at one. That does not speak well of them. OTOH they have some really good stuff on their app, and in print form, but the teachers don’t seem to make use of them much. But I’ll be back for one more season.

6 Likes

right on.
Video is very hard to watch sideways, and I am on my iMac, , probably today’s Imac you can rotate screen, but not mine, its older, and the sideways video is very disorientating. making the video not really meaningful. Maybe I will try to open it up on my iPad later and see if I can see it better when I rotate it 90.
Sounded OK, you can tell there is one teacher playing, and helping to hold things together, but that is OK, you guys went for it and I am sure you learned a lot and got more playtime and practice with others, so that has to be beneficial to you as a player, and you have to be walking away from this (after next one), a better player then you were going into it.

5 Likes

Thanks, and sorry for the dIsOriEnTAtiNg video. On a phone or tablet, you can turn the device upright, in portrait mode, then lock the screen rotation and turn it 90 degrees. One thing I learned is that D standard (DGCF) tuning is awesome. Had to use it for Dr. Feelgood, put on some heavier strings and left it. It turned the Cort bass I was going to get rid of into my main bass.
For all my complaining, I already miss playing those songs, with those people :cry: But next Friday we start Classic Rock, and I can’t wait.

3 Likes

and

plus

A new trick, and

Sounds like you got a new bass out of it then. Nice

2 Likes

Hey Paul. I finally got around to watching this. Don’t be too hard on yourself. They had you pushed pretty far down in the mix and I couldn’t hear what you were talking about with dragging and I seriously doubt anyone in the crowd could either.

Also, it was your very first live gig. If the sound guys were killing some of your attack then it’s a harmless lesson learned. I think it’s great you put yourself out there and got up on stage. It sounded, to me, like you did a solid job.

3 Likes

very cool idea.
school of rock is my all time favorite movie,
I didn’t know some body made it to are thing

2 Likes

I get what you mean about the teachers - there’s a wide variety. But, in northern CA, the rental space rates are pretty steep - and don’t come with any equipment. So this is kind of the only option for me right now. My songs for the second season now Don’t Stop Believin’, Anyway You Want It, Cold as Ice, and Carry on Wayward Son. A little Journey heavy, and I tried to swap out of Anyway you Want it for All Right Now, but a guitarist said he was struggling with the guitar parts and started messing around with the bass…so they let him have that one. So I got a touch of band drama! A more complete experience! But really, it’s all still been fun. And our place has an option where you just do the band instead of lessons and band (though I’m still not good enough to say I don’t need more lessons…)

3 Likes

We had a teacher playing drums on some of our songs, which makes a huge difference. But almost makes it too “easy”? Like getting through the struggle as a group together and improving a bit each week is a large part of the fun…

2 Likes

I also feel a little loss, seeing the same people each week, but not playing some of our previous songs…I still practice them, just in case though…and cause building up a library is probably good exercise too.

5 Likes

I know this feeling all too well. My garage band fizzled out when our singer bought a beach house & moved there (bastard!). I keep playing the songs we had rehearsed for a neighborhood party. I put together a pretty strong 40 minute set.
Now I just wait and hope for Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters) to call.
Dave: Hey, man, our bass player isn’t feeling well. We need you to sit in on Big Me. Oh, and we’re also covering Bob Seger’s Main Street and Soul Asylum’s Runaway Train.
Me: I’m there for you, man.

4 Likes