Has anyone tried School Of Rock?

…and basically all of New Orleans proper…

3 Likes

OK, folks, video is up and…it’s rotated sideways :woozy_face: Music starts about 3:12. Either the compression is cutting off the beginning of my notes, or I’m dragging really bad. Must be the compression. Blame the engineer! The guitarist on the left is one of the staff substituting for one of our guys. It’s kinda rough; we gave it our best shot.

Overall, I’m a little disappointed with the performance an a little more disappointed with the school. They do give you the place, the equipment, and some decent guidance during rehearsals. I did not find the lessons very helpful. A couple of the vocalists said the same thing. I don’t know what kind of qualifications they had for the teachers. One of the best left right after this show. I notice Josh is no longer teaching at one. That does not speak well of them. OTOH they have some really good stuff on their app, and in print form, but the teachers don’t seem to make use of them much. But I’ll be back for one more season.

6 Likes

right on.
Video is very hard to watch sideways, and I am on my iMac, , probably today’s Imac you can rotate screen, but not mine, its older, and the sideways video is very disorientating. making the video not really meaningful. Maybe I will try to open it up on my iPad later and see if I can see it better when I rotate it 90.
Sounded OK, you can tell there is one teacher playing, and helping to hold things together, but that is OK, you guys went for it and I am sure you learned a lot and got more playtime and practice with others, so that has to be beneficial to you as a player, and you have to be walking away from this (after next one), a better player then you were going into it.

5 Likes

Thanks, and sorry for the dIsOriEnTAtiNg video. On a phone or tablet, you can turn the device upright, in portrait mode, then lock the screen rotation and turn it 90 degrees. One thing I learned is that D standard (DGCF) tuning is awesome. Had to use it for Dr. Feelgood, put on some heavier strings and left it. It turned the Cort bass I was going to get rid of into my main bass.
For all my complaining, I already miss playing those songs, with those people :cry: But next Friday we start Classic Rock, and I can’t wait.

4 Likes

and

plus

A new trick, and

Sounds like you got a new bass out of it then. Nice

3 Likes

Hey Paul. I finally got around to watching this. Don’t be too hard on yourself. They had you pushed pretty far down in the mix and I couldn’t hear what you were talking about with dragging and I seriously doubt anyone in the crowd could either.

Also, it was your very first live gig. If the sound guys were killing some of your attack then it’s a harmless lesson learned. I think it’s great you put yourself out there and got up on stage. It sounded, to me, like you did a solid job.

3 Likes

very cool idea.
school of rock is my all time favorite movie,
I didn’t know some body made it to are thing

3 Likes

I get what you mean about the teachers - there’s a wide variety. But, in northern CA, the rental space rates are pretty steep - and don’t come with any equipment. So this is kind of the only option for me right now. My songs for the second season now Don’t Stop Believin’, Anyway You Want It, Cold as Ice, and Carry on Wayward Son. A little Journey heavy, and I tried to swap out of Anyway you Want it for All Right Now, but a guitarist said he was struggling with the guitar parts and started messing around with the bass…so they let him have that one. So I got a touch of band drama! A more complete experience! But really, it’s all still been fun. And our place has an option where you just do the band instead of lessons and band (though I’m still not good enough to say I don’t need more lessons…)

3 Likes

We had a teacher playing drums on some of our songs, which makes a huge difference. But almost makes it too “easy”? Like getting through the struggle as a group together and improving a bit each week is a large part of the fun…

2 Likes

I also feel a little loss, seeing the same people each week, but not playing some of our previous songs…I still practice them, just in case though…and cause building up a library is probably good exercise too.

5 Likes

I know this feeling all too well. My garage band fizzled out when our singer bought a beach house & moved there (bastard!). I keep playing the songs we had rehearsed for a neighborhood party. I put together a pretty strong 40 minute set.
Now I just wait and hope for Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters) to call.
Dave: Hey, man, our bass player isn’t feeling well. We need you to sit in on Big Me. Oh, and we’re also covering Bob Seger’s Main Street and Soul Asylum’s Runaway Train.
Me: I’m there for you, man.

6 Likes

@Paul_D What’s your set list for the Classic Rock session? We got far enough on our first 4 songs, that we added another pair of songs. Go Your Own Way and Hit Me With Your Best Shot. I’m the only bass player in the two bands, so I’m gonna try and grab both of them. And we’ve moved away from the bowling alley with the kids bands, to our own Friday night gig at a brewery…

2 Likes

I’m practicing Foo Fighters songs for the exact same reason :joy:

5 Likes
  1. Joan Jett, I love Rock And Roll*

2. CCR, Fortunate Son

3. Led Zeppelin, Immigrant Song

4. The Who, I Can’t Explain*

5. The Beatles, Hard Day’s night*

6. Aerosmith, Walk This Way*

7. The Kinks, You Really Got Me

8. Jefferson Airplane, White Rabbit*

9. Heart, Crazy on You*

10. AC/DC, Highway to Hell

11. Fleetwood Mac, Rhiannon*

12. Steppenwolf, Born to be Wild

13. Heart, Magic Man*

14. Black Sabbath, Paranoid

15. Rolling Stones, Jumpin’ Jack Flash*

16. The Who, Baba O’Reily*

:cold_sweat::exploding_head::confounded::dizzy_face::pray::metal:

I think we could do a lot better job with fewer songs. But wow, it made me practice a lot. I’m playing on 10 of these; the ones with the asterisk. Our show was scheduled for the 21st, but the venue cancelled all their January events. Some virus going around, or something. They managed to tag us on to another SoR show at a barbeque with outdoor seating on the 30th. Bonus, it’s all ages, people’s kids can come, and we can hear the SoR kids before we go on. Hope they don’t show us up too bad.

7 Likes

Wow! That’s a set list! Have fun! We only have 10 planned altogether. Is there a theme for the songs? Not that I necessarily understand their themes…or what qualifies. But next season we have Wednesday night Indie Rock (I heard it’s stuff like violent femmes, vampire weekend, the killers, and other bands I don’t recognize) and Sunday morning is gonna be classic metal.

2 Likes

I think one of you folks are playing in Seattle? I’d love to come out and support you when you play :))

1 Like

@Ben That would be me. We’ll be at the Drunky Two Shoes barbeque in White Center on January 30th. They’re not exactly sure when we go on, there’s a show before us. But, they say to arrive by 2:30. It’s a Sunday afternoon all-ages show. They are comping us each 12 tickets; I can pick them up tomorrow. They are physical tickets, so I’d have to meet you in person before the show, I guess. Or mail one. I actually fogot you could mail things. But how to get your addres but not expose it online? It’s tricky. I’d be glad to have you there, if you can make it, and if we can work out the ticket thing. If you can come, here’s a little head’s up. I toss in two bars of Herbie Hancock’s iconic synth bass line from ‘Chameleon’; see if you can catch it :wink:. (Hint: right after the 3-2 son clave rhythm part. There, I gave it away).

3 Likes

@Paul_D perfect. I live near Morgan Junction (and The BassShop) in West Seattle so I know the place. I’ll do my research, and be there around your time to hear you play. Don’t need a ticket really, I’ll get in. Looking forward to supporting your play, I’ll be the old fart wearing a Lee Sklar T-shirt, cya there!

5 Likes

I don’t want you to have to pay. Let me know if there’s a problem.

The venue’s website doesn’t tell you that we are not the first act. The kids come on first for the Yacht Rock show at about 2:00. Then we come on. They can’t give us an exact time; but guestimate around 2:45.

We were originally scheduled for last Friday at Darrell’s Tavern up in Shoreline. They canceled all their events for January. When we lost that venue, the management scrambled to get us another, and ended up tagging us on to the existing kid’s show. When one of us asked about a cover charge, they told us about a promo pack with 12 tickets that no one had mentioned previously. The had us all sign for the pack and take it home, but the tickets are for the original Darrell’s show. I have no idea if Drunky2S is going to honor those. When I ask about the tickets, I just hear crickets.

The place is a mess, they’re understaffed, and staff keep leaving. I hope things get better for them. They are a valuable resource, as much as I complain. I would not be doing a rock show next weekend without them, and my playing has improved a lot.

4 Likes

@Paul_D No worries about the cover charge or an entry ticket, not an issue. I’ll be there early enough to maybe catch the group before yours. I’ll say hi after your set, if not before. My business cell is 206 two zero three thirty one hundred, you can text if it gets cancelled or you don’t make it. I’ll be in the Lee Sklar T-shirt… Ben

2 Likes