Headphone amp help please!

I read somewhere it will be in the next software update, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, playing along to a midi tab or a video is not an option, the delay is absolutely enough to ruin timing

1 Like

Thank you all, so very much for the clear and accurate advice vis-a-vie the headphone amp! Who could possibly ask for more? CHEERS!
Paulo

1 Like

My local guitar store have I have the Fender Mustang Micro on order and when they arrive, one will have my name on it. I can try before I buy, so once it arrives I’ll head down with a bass and give it a go.

I think you will like it. Make sure you pair it up with your phone during the trial run, make sure that works the way you wanted to as well.

1 Like

FYI the Micro is meant for guitars. It has some gnarly high gain presets. I never tested it on bass, so let us know!

If you look at the Fender website, it says “Rotating input plug for compatibility with most guitars and basses.”

It does seem to be primarily for guitars but I’ve done bit of research and it seems to work well for those who’ve bought one for bass use. My local guitar store have said they’ve sold a few to bassists and have had favourable reviews. or put another way, nobody has returned one.

Check this out for some reviews:

2 Likes

I got one too and use it for my guitars. As said in the TalkBass thread the bass does sound bright on most guitar amps. Only the studio/clean settings seems to work well. So it seems to be lacking on bass-friendly patches but that is a subjective matter. You can easily practice bass on a guitar amps.

It’s a great piece of gear and worth the money, but if you want really something specific for bass you might be better off with the NUX Mighty Plug or the Boss Waza air headset ($$$). Just my 2 cents. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Very informative thread, thanks for posting it!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.

I’ll wait until my local store has one in stock and I’ll give it a test drive, see how I get on. They’re extremely good and there’s no obligation to buy if it doesn’t work for me. If it’s not what I want then I’ll try the NUX Mighty :+1:

1 Like

I’m using the Darkglass Element. Its pretty good and DG continues to add features. The Nux might be more to your liking.

2 Likes

I’ve just had a chat with my local store and got through to the owner. He’s steered me away from the Fender Mustang; whilst it’s an amazing piece of kit, it’s designed for guitar (as has been said above by a few people, myself included), and the likelihood is that I won’t enjoy it. Also, the bass doesn’t sound like a bass should.

He’s recommended the Blackstar Amplug if on a budget; half the price of the Mustang and the bass sounds exactly as it should. He also mentioned it as being an excellent starting piece. If established bassists come in looking for a headphone amp, they go with something called the Ashdown Tone Pocket. This is the piece of kit that bassists will use on the tour bus or in hotel rooms when practicing.

I’m going to take my bass down on Saturday to test drive the Blackstar and the Ashdown and see what happens. Assuming I’m happy with both then I’d go with the Ashdown. Ok, it’s an extra £100 (US$ 120) but it’s a better long term prospect as I won’t ever need to upgrade. Check them out here (although showing in USD, the prices quoted are GB£):

3 Likes

Blackstar preamp was pretty good on the Fly3 I had for bass. I would lean towards the Ashdown too since I like their amps a bit more. Good luck!

2 Likes

The main thing here is that its loaded with amps and etc for guitars, vs. one loaded with bass specific amps/cabs. If you really don’t care much about all that tone stuff, and just want a way to hear yourself relatively cleanly, they all work. It’s all the extras that are the differenciators.

1 Like

Hearing myself cleanly is my main priority. Without trying all options, I’d lean towards a bass specific because I want to hear my bass as they’re meant to sound. At the moment, I’m using a small Page practice amp; it’s fine for what I want but it never sounds the same as what my bass used to at my tutor’s house many years ago. I’m thinking (hoping!) that one of those that I try this weekend will make my bass sound as it should.

Plus it’s a DAI, so if you’re interested in recording yourself, you’re covered.

2 Likes

Another problem with the Fender Mustang is, although it can interface with a DAW for recording, you cannot monitor what you are playing. NUX MPP doesn’t have this issue and they’re both around the same price point.

1 Like

I think the most practical option is a preamp pedal with Headphone Out and Aux In. Connect a phone for beats and EQ the bass while listening over headphones. And then theres’s always the Zoom adding effects, etc.

1 Like

Ok broke, down and got the Boss Waza Bass setup. Pretty cool so far, but a lot to learn. For $375 they better be awesome for a LONG time!**

2 Likes

Waza Air-Bass is solid and the sound quality is great.

2 Likes