Headphone amps for practice

And yes I tried the batteries it came with and a brand new set as well same result.

1 Like

I use a daisy chain power adapter I purchased on Amazon. Have not used USB power yet.

By the way, if you do get a power adapter with multiple outputs make sure you get one that has isolated outputs. This reduces the risk of introducing noise. Also, some of the people advertising isolated power supplies on eBay and Amazon are lying and their product is not isolated at all.

2 Likes

already got a power adapter

1 Like

Yep! I found out the hard way - by going through a dozen 9v batteries before figuring it out through online searches. ouch

hands down the best headphone amp on the market. it does everything. it’s a pre amp… can go direct to interface or pa. has gain, volume and treble and bass knobs. lithium ion rechargeable batteries in unit. goes for hours before a recharge. super clear and a solid unit. yes it’s a bit expensive bit worth every penny! P: HA-2 | Phil Jones Bass

1 Like

On the cheaper side- Blackstar Amplug Fly Bass is really useful. Can connect with anything via aux, I 've had many course lessons with a phone or laptop through it. Has some basic beats and metronome, built-in distortion + 2 clean sounds, battery - I use rechargeable 1100 mAh , lasts for several hours. Seems more packed than Vox, in my country Blackstar is cheaper. It’s a go for a few dozens of USD.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s been mentioned, but I use a Fender Mustang Micro headphone amp for my bass and it works really well. In fact it’s the only bass amp I have! (I’m mostly a guitar player.)

The Studio Preamp setting sounds pretty great, even through a cheap set of iphone earbuds. It’s not the most versatile amp of course but it’s incredibly easy to use and you can strut around your house or garden or wherever like a (nearly silent to other people) rock god.

2 Likes

I guess when this headphone amp was first brought up, if I recall correctly, one question was if would Fender come out with an equivalent device tailored specifically for bass. But from the video you posted, plus seeing it on Fender’s page for the MUSTANG™ MICRO, they do say you can use it with a bass:

Compatible with virtually all electric guitars and basses.

I’m sure more knowledgeable people will address the pros & cons.

I won’t be getting one of these anytime soon, though, as I recently got a Vox amplug2 for my Ibanez miKro bass. But, if I ever (* cough * practice more * cough *), uh, progress in my bass-playing skills enough, and the Vox no longer serves me well, I would definitely consider the Mustang Micro.

I was really curious about the Mustang Micro at one point, it seemed perfect for practice, but I don’t think it’s available in the UK yet (or maybe elsewhere too), so I picked up the tc electronic SpectraDrive preamp/compression/drive/DI box instead. So versatile, including for use as a headphone amp with aux in. Amazing thing really, I’m loving it so far, and the ability to load different effects straight from your phone is crazy cool. It seems to be a bit hard to find these days though… maybe TC is working on a new version :thinking:

1 Like

I looked at that, not too many options at all for true bass, if that matters to you or not is another story.

I figured they would come out with the bass version next year though, so stuck with the NUX.

and Welcome, @pete_b, glad you are here!

At the end of the day, practice headphone amp is simply that. Practice tool. Especially for a bass there’s no replacement for a real amp. I use vox and Ashdown tone pocket. Both are excellent.

Bass sounds different through headphones and amp. I’ve used the headphones amp for quite some time at the beginning of the COVID-19, got dialed but once plug in to the real amp my dialed in setup just sound terrible.

I’m a big fan of GK but Roland keyboard amp is very versatile and half the size so I’m using it now. Every once in a while you need to play it through a real amp.

Bass sounds pretty awesome through amp sims and my 160W monitor speakers, just saying :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No doubt. It sounds great with my 3.5” 25w studio monitors as well. My point was loud noise through speakers and headphones sounds different not to mention the benefits of sound pressure that hits yourself body.

1 Like

It’s interesting to compare my monitors with my former Rumble 25. I have two 82W monitors, split 41/41 woofer/tweeter, with 5"/1" speakers. This comes out at slightly less surface area for the speakers than the single 8" in the Rumble, but with a lot more power behind it, and separate tweeters. They sound much better (provided you use an amp and cab sim).

1 Like

What cab Sims do you use? I’ve tried a few but usually stick with one or 2 most of the time. It used to be great when we had less choices, ha ha.

Depends on the amp sim - for Kuassa Cerberus, Brainworks SVT-VR and 800RB, and the NeuralDSP Darkglass plugin, I use the integrated cabsims. For things without an integrated cabsim I use Ignite NadIR.

2 Likes

Thanks @John_E! Yes it’d be great if they brought out a bass-specific version of the Mustang Micro, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

1 Like

Doesn’t it support bass already?

The Captain & Danish Pete are your service:

I might actually get this for my guitars :thinking: What do you think, @bassbot fortune ?

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @bassbot display help.