Headphone Practice Question

Hey there! So I’m gonna be moving into an apartment where practicing with headphones is a must. I recently bought the Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones as an upgrade from my old ones, but I still get constant static noise when I plug my headphones into my amp. I have a Fender Rumble 15 and it . I also have the Vox amPlug headphone amp and get the same static.

I’m guessing it’s to do with the amps I’m using. Should I be getting a better amp? Should I try getting an audio interface instead?

2 Likes

Sounds more like an electrical issue. If both are doing it you are probably picking up noise from wiring, computer’s etc… Try moving your set up to another plug or area and see if it doesn’t stop.

4 Likes

I had a similarly noisy experience with headphones in my Rumble 40. Didn’t even realize it was noisy until I switched to a preamp pedal recently (EBS MicroBass 3) and practically all the noise disappeared.

3 Likes

The ATH-M50X are 38 ohms impedance; the amp calls for 32 ohms minimum so it shouldn’t be a noise issue. You likely have an intermittent connection issue whether it is dirty or some wires are frayed in a cord. You can try dialing back your gain to see if it clears up most of it. The headphones shouldn’t be picking up signal noise as the speaker circuit is deactivated with headphones, and I have no idea what the max impedance the amp can drive out of the headphone jack

1 Like

My rumble 25 was also very noisy with headphones so I never used it for headphone practice. You may want look at an alternate route like a preamp pedal with headphone out or effects unit, or software interface.

2 Likes

If this is going to be your main way to practice, i strongly suggest you invest in some better equipment.

Vox thingy amps are noisy, so are lower end rumbles.
Boss Waza Air or DG Element or other higher end headphone amps will serve you well.
There are many threads here on this topic with lots of good discussions for you to research.

I use the Boss, and glad I made the investment.
I travel for work a lot and this and my travel bass go worldwide with me.

5 Likes

Probably the most cost effective way to go for quality is a good pair of studio monitor headphones and a preamp that can act as an amp/cab sim (or some other amp/cab sim solution - Zoom B1four makes an excellent little headphone amp, etc). Good studio monitors will most likely be better overall headphones than the Waza, and the real magic in that thing are its amp/cab sims anyway. The only downside from the Waza here is it’s not wireless, if that is important to you.

This is actually what I do (though I do it all in software). For me this delivers far higher quality (and a better selection of) amp/cab sims than you’ll find in any piece of hardware under $1500 or so, and lets me use high quality studio monitors (both speakers and phones) for the sound. This works well for me but isn’t for everyone.

If you just want a high quality simple solution the Waza looks like a good (though expensive) way to go. But Waza Craft stuff is expensive for a reason - it’s usually really good.

2 Likes

I own and use a Boss Waza-Air Bass. It absolutely rocks. The true value of this system is simply how good it sounds.

I don’t use the built-in cab sims or effects at all. The magic of the Waza-Air Bass is its unadorned sound.

Wireless mobility, great headphones, great sound. It’s great.

2 Likes

Is that even possible? The whole selling point of the thing is its “spatial” stereo separation and built in EQ/amp/cabsims, some of which I’d thought was always on. (And all of which is available via other means).

Like, I’m listening to one on youtube right now in its stock settings, and it absolutely has a spatial stereo effect added, along with what sounds like light room reverb, and a bit of EQ. Which sounds nice, but isn’t limited to the Waza.

It’s gyro thing is a cool idea if you use it.

I’m not trying to say it isn’t a good product - it looks cool. But it’s not doing anything you can’t already do via other means (except maybe the gyro sensor), and it’s over $400, around triple the price of a good set of studio monitors.

1 Like

Nope. I generally use a “totally flat” setting.
First thing I did with it to see how it sounded.
Super clean. They call it flat.
Why? That’s what I like.
I guess if I played live I’d start using the high tech space gyroscopic thingy to mimic it but don’t.
Sometimes I do for din but generally go back to flat.
I like how my basses sound, go figure.

The effects in it are great and I play with them but the UI is clunky (they could fix this with a few easy screen changes, literally drag and drop).

The big thing for me is portability for travel, even if that travel includes the upstairs living room or the patio. Seamless.

2 Likes

I got mine for $320 and it’s worth every penny.

1 Like

They review well. Tragically I suffer from HES. It’s a hereditary condition and not much funding has been put into a cure.

I’m talking about Hot Ear Syndrome. The best solution after many tries is an open backed Sennheiser pair.

How does anyone find them after extended periods. I regularly wear them for 3-4 hours per night. I don’t know if that’s normal?

1 Like

I’m with you in suffering. I massively prefer open-back.

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed an issue but I would guess you wouldn’t like them as they probably would be too hot for you.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s just dumb luck, but wearing headphones for extended periods of time doesn’t bother me.

1 Like

Barney I share your HES and switched to fully open back for that reason. If you really have a bad case I would advice you to get some really good in-ear monitors. I would even say that the really good ones (like 3 drivers) will beat most over ear headphones in sound and quality.

I’ve considered all on these list. Especially the Westone, Sennheiser and Shure (in that order). Most pro musicians have custom molds in-ear but those are like really expensive. I actually ended up with a relatively cheap version from Fender and I gotta admit that I was surprised how good they sounded.

2 Likes

You’ve successfully infected me with GAS. $325 at Musician’s Friend and it’s on the way :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Outstanding! You’ll love the Waza Air-Bass.

2 Likes

I would skip every one of those IEMs, there are much better chifi IEMs for significantly less money, even $30-$50 will get you something good. For bass it’s not hard to get a low cost headphone or IEM that performs well. It’s funny that some of the IEMs (and headphones) most commonly used by musicians really aren’t that good and the same models show up on all the lists :slight_smile: I mostly use my One Odio headphones that cost me about $40; they’re a little bit (or even a lot) overemphasized in the bass regions but they’re extremely comfortable.

2 Likes

Sure you got inexpensive options that sound great like the Shure. But I’m sure an in-ear with 2 or 3 drivers will have much better lows, mids and high definitions then a single driver. I’m not talking about hifi in-ears but in-ear monitors.

It’s a bit like comparing a $30 AKG hifi headset with a $270 Beyerdynamics studio headset. Both will do the job ofc but the flat response on the Beyerdynamic will be much better. For practicing hifi headsets are fine if not even better as long as they have good bass representation.

Getting the in-ear monitor is just handy if you also plan to gig with them.

Anyway my point was that @Barney could consider in-ears for his issue :wink:

3 Likes