Headrush Pedalboard

Understood! But then, it would be an alternaive for gigging situations/playing with others? And I mean not just as an on-stage monitor??

That seems awesome… you’d get pretty much ALL amps/cabs/effects you’d ever want in a small package and a powerful enough sound system for at least medium sized gigs!?! I then really don’t see why you’d instead want to buy a, say, MarkBass head (which might “only” get you 500W) and a huge, heavy 2x12 cabinet to go along with it!?!

What am I (again) missing here?? :grin:

2 Likes

Nothing, really. This is basically a PA speaker.

It won’t be as loud as the “2000W” implies as it is 2000W peak, not RMS. But it will still be a nice, loud, neutral speaker, good to run a mixer to, or in this case, a multieffect.

It won’t have any tone on its own (at all). So a bass amp will give you whatever tone its preamp has, and be focused on the bass frequencies, and so sound “better” for bass than the PA. But the PA will still sound pretty awesome when used right, especially with a decent amp sim.

2 Likes

Here’s an Alto that is even cheaper:

1 Like

OK, let’s say it is “just” 1000W RMS… who is actually doing the heavy lifting here? The amp inside the speaker??

Yes, OK, but wouldn’t you get that same tone from a good amp/pre-amp sim??

Thanks for bearing with me, @howard :grinning:

2 Likes

yeah. It’s a powered speaker with a class D power amp in it.

Note that it’s still just driving a single 8" speaker and tweeter. There are limits to the loudness.

In theory? I think so. Realistically I don’t know for sure. But it is definitely the route I would take (and am taking; haven’t owned an amp in a year.)

The bass amps will definitely be pushing a lot more air, with full size cabs.

2 Likes

There is a 12’’ version that should also push more air :grin:

Yep, I know… I am just trying to see if such a solution would cover almost all needs, including a rehearsal room or even small venue gigging situation!

2 Likes

Our music room at work has a similar setup (Line6 modeling amp, and a mixer going in to two PA’s). It’s very versatile.

2 Likes

Ooooooh… now, I am really jealous :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I never actually use it but I have definitely heard it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll start by saying I don’t know much about this equipment but looking at it and thinking about situations I’ve been in such as rehearsal rooms with loud guitars and louder drums or playing outdoor, I imagine this set up is pretty limited unless you plug it into the desk and run through a PA. I totally get the cab sim feature and I’m sure the effects are great but I can’t imagine that one little 8" speaker is going to give you anywhere near the presence of a 4 x 10" cab or 15" sub. I think it is not always really going to be a replacement for an old fashioned head and cab.

3 Likes

it’s definitely, definitely not moving as much air as a bass cab.

That said, a pair will still be reasonably loud, and a pair of the 12" will be quite loud indeed.

3 Likes

I guess I’ll just continue to lug heavy boxes and push lot’s of air hehehe…ouch, did I just slip a disc when I giggled then?

3 Likes

It’s funny how loudness works. The last time I played live (many years ago) with a PA-like system, it was my synths and drum machine going in to a mixer, into a stereo amp that was only a couple hundred watts maximum, going in to two 10" speakers with tweeters and two 12" (or 15", I forget - but probably 12") subwoofers we’d made ourselves. And I was loud. Way louder than the guitar and bass (midsize combo amps, forget how big) unless they ran through the mixer too. No problem at all playing with a live drummer the one time we did it, too.

2 Likes

I know even less about all this (still)… in fact, it is amazing that I am allowed to operate a bass all by myself :rofl:

4 Likes

I’m from the dark ages… I’m still using this old clunker

. 600w TE with 6 x 10"s, a 15" and a HF horn. I usually split it up to suit the need on the day but it’s ALL HEAVY :frowning_face:

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s going to be ridiculously louder than the single 8" PA :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah I figured we were starting from a different base…

2 Likes

If only I could play well enough to convince someone to carry it for me :rofl:

2 Likes

Hah no kidding!

Anyway for me, a pair of these powered PA’s would still be the way to go if I were needing that kind of presence. I’d be running a lot more than bass through it.

3 Likes

I love how the master volume goes to “11” on that Headrush :joy:

1 Like