Headrush Pedalboard

Hi all!
Over the last year, I have had plenty of time to explore effects. I’ve gone through pedals from Aguilar, TC Electronic, Dark Glass, Behringer, Ampeg, and more. As you can see from the short list of brands, I’ve covered the full range of quality, reputation, and cost. After buying, selling and trading thousands of dollars worth of individual pedals, I decided enough was enough.
I was tired of lugging all the ridiculously heavy gear, replacing patch cables, spending excess time during setup and tear down, trying to find the exact pedal for a specific sound.
So, I started researching multi-effects units. Honestly, compared to guitar, there wasn’t all that much for bass. Eventually, I found people that were using Line 6 and Headrush products. After testing both in the store and with friends that use them on guitar, I pulled the trigger and got the Headrush Pedalboard and the Headrush FRFR 108 cab.
Hands down the best decision I’ve made in the effects realm.
Here are some pics of the happy day when I said “hello digital wonderland”.

Do any of use Headrush? Or Helix? What do think of the units? How do you use yours?
Would you use a unit like this? Why or why not?

7 Likes

We definitely need to hear more about this and your experiences, @mmrunyan1!

I would love to try the Helix, but I haven’t been able to convince myself to use that much money on a stompbox…

There is also the Kemper Stage, the Fractal AxFX, the Eventide H9 and the Neural DSP Quad Cortex, which is just stunning from what I have seen :open_mouth:

Why the cab? Were you playing through headphones before??

3 Likes

No. I was playing through my Ampeg. Which I love and still have.
However, the Ampeg weighs a million pounds, and, the Headrush has Ampeg amp and cab syms that are very good. So, I get to save space and weight and not drag the back breaker around.

3 Likes

I look forward to hearing how you like this thing! I haven’t heard one before.

A lot of us have or had Zoom multieffectors, but these are on a different tier.

3 Likes

The only Zoom product I have ever used is the Zoom MS-60B.
Ironically, that’s one of the very few pedals I haven’t sold. I use it when I want to travel ultralight with my short scale and need minimal effect (compressor, amp, cab).
I’ve spent a lot of time dialing specific effects for individual songs.

So far, the Headrush has not let me down. I play a bit of every genre and it hasn’t failed me yet. I love that I can run mono in and stereo out. I can run the cab as my bass monitor and use headphones if desired. It does take a bit of fine tuning, and the control over ins and outs is insane.
If anyone gets a Headrush, get the FRFR 108 or 112. You won’t be disappointed!

3 Likes

Cool.

The Zoom boxes are great for what they are, definitely some of the best cash you can spend on gear, bang-for-the-buck wise.

But the Helix, Kemper, Headrush, etc are simply more pro level.

2 Likes

No doubt!
They are most definitely next level after the next level.

4 Likes

I’m thinking myself buying a headrush FRFR cab but I was wondering if the 8" could be enough for bass frequencies. the equivalent model exists with a 12". (I use a Line 6 preamp)

3 Likes

Wow. Those look awesome. Powered monitor on steroids. Perfect if you’re already running an amp sim - preferable even.

2 Likes

more powerful, probably more solid, and way cheaper than a monitor :slight_smile: I’m not sure it would do for mix/production but it’s not really the purpose

3 Likes

Yeah it looks perfect for modeling.

2 Likes

Yup! The cab sims are very good…

3 Likes

The 8 can down. Keeps up with my 5-string just fine. Gotta get the eq right, or it gets a bit muddy.

3 Likes

For my usage, one of those would be way better than any bass amp.

2 Likes

That’s the beauty of the Rumble Studio 40 - you can set it pretty much totally neutral and use as a “monitor” with whatever multi-effects you want.

Right, I’m at blanc here. Never used an effect: never played guitar :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
So enlight me, what does it do, how does it work, how does it sound?
Could you give us a practical-in-use-review?

1 Like

Here is perhaps a good place to start, @RemcoRG:

2 Likes

The thing that makes this thing amazing are that it’s 2000 watts, completely tonally neutral (which is what you want if you are running amp sims before it), looks very high quality, has great input/output options, weighs less than 9kg, and still only costs $300-350.

2 Likes

I see… so would this compare to, e.g., the Yamaha DBR12??

And… would such a combination - Helix (or similar) and active speaker be a full-blown alternative to a more classic head/cab combination??

2 Likes

Yep!

For me it would be much better. I would run more than my bass through it, basically would use it as a (very loud) monitor as well. I would want two. But at that point it would be like your own multi-instrument PA.

You would want an amp sim and maybe a cab sim, which of course the multieffects all have, as does any decent DAW via plugins. I like my current amp sim much more than any amp I could actually afford.

it would be massive overkill for my current situation :slight_smile:
But it is basically what I am doing now; the difference being, I have 14W of two inexpensive 3.5" monitors, not that beast.

2 Likes