Help me choose my first

same. We’re all Devo! :slight_smile:

I think Casale still plays them.

3 Likes

Kurt Smith of Tears for Fears - I remember cycling into town to buy the 12” of Mad World after school (1982 :flushed:)

3 Likes

Easily their best song :slight_smile:

1 Like

It might not be the smallest option but a very versatile option. I would consider a short scale bass like a Squier Classic Vibe Mustang bass and the Boss Dual cube Bass LX. Small bass, small amp with effects, drumbeats, tuner and looper. Plug it in or use batteries and headphone output too. It’s also a combo that could last for a long time beyond beginner level. Cheers!

3 Likes

@franx makes a good suggestion here. I have the older version of Boss Bass cube. It’s small but perfect for playing out on the deck. Plug in an Ipod and jam along etc.

Pair that with a mini Jazz Bass and you’re away. CNZ do a well reiviewed mini bass for $199USD.

4 Likes

I can’t find the video at the moment,but it really gets back when you compare an acoustic to an upright. The upright blows the horizontal acoustic away. No comparison at all!

Yep. Piece of paper it came with says Zo.

It’s great for sitting outside or anywhere and just playing.

As far as acoustic electric basses - they sound great!!!…….plugged in! I ditched mine for my Gretsch hollow body that sounded equally as loud unplugged. Net/net, don’t buy an A/E bass to play unplugged. You won’t be too happy.

1 Like

If you want to get an acoustic bass for the specific tone then it’s awesome. If you want a bass without amp then get electric bass of your choice and the headphone amp or DAW or better yet the WAZA Air bass, lol. If it’s a pass time thing then you have to weigh in your pros and cons but for me I’d prioritized it and make permanent room for the setup.

So No on the Acoustic bass for me as well.

1 Like

Thanks for all the input everyone. Lots to look at at some very helpful stuff.
In my heart, I would love an electric setup, but in my current circumstances the acoustic makes more sense. I just need to find the right one. Also, the pricing of the acoustics makes more sense. If I was already deep into playing then yes, go for something quality. But right now, not necessarily the best course of action.

3 Likes

Hi!

I think you need something like a small practice amp. Buy an acoustic bass guitar after you’ve tried it at the shop. You can play it, you can have fun, but you might not like it - you might be in love with the idea instead.

Joyo MA-10B battery amp (Has aux in and headphonen out, super light and portable)
Vox Amplug Headphone Amp (Comes with a drum machine and aux in, so you can connect your phone)
Boss Waza Air Headphones (Expensive but apparently good)

Cheers,
Antonio

PS: Come to the live hang on Sunday, if you can make it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, many good suggestions here. I would suggest to go for a electric Yamaha bass, Di box and headphones, that is all you need to play a gig as well.

I quite like the idea of an e-bass playing into headphones. It definitely fits the bill.
But at some point I am going to want to join in with others, possibly using acoustic guitar (the Mrs). Then I would need access to speakers of some sort.
I visited another music store this morning and although they had no acoustics they did have a selection of electrics. A Peavey, an EKO, a Marcus Miller and a couple of other more expensive looking items. Mostly P/J configuration and not too expensive. Unfortunately the attendant had no English and my Spanish isn’t good enough to discuss the finer details of his guitar stock. So the search continues.

1 Like

I started with a Blackstar ST travel bass and Laney Mini Bass NX Amp (battery operated) plus a Vox Bass amPlug. Very compact set up. I still use the Blackstar and Laney amp when playing in front of the laptop (course lessons, following tabs etc).

1 Like

Is it worth it in your experience?

Definitely. Nice tones and a drum machine built in. I sometimes use a small speaker with it instead of headphones. Just need an AUX cable to connect the speaker to the headphone socket. I also have a Blackstar bass amPlug but prefer the Vox. Actually I really like amPlugs! Have a selection that I use with guitars also.

1 Like

I seem to remember a few people in this forum complaining about background hiss when using the unit

I had the guitar version and it didn’t sound great. For a few dollars more the Zoom B1 four is so much better value with added drum machine / tuner etc.

4 Likes

I was one of those people. Have to say it was the original Vox Amplug I was using (the one without the drum machine and whatever else the newer model has), and it was with a (relatively) simple Harley Benton bass. I still have it lying around somewhere, maybe I should try it again.

1 Like

Fortunately I’ve had no significant problems with the amPlugs - there is some hiss with a couple of the guitar amPlugs depending on the mode being used but generally they sound OK. And the bass amPlug sound is very clear - no issues at all. Plus I also use a Sub Zero practice amp with a Zoom B1X Four unit so I’ve got several different options.

1 Like

Why not get spark mini or spark go and you can expand later by adding a cab. This would be your all in one audio as it also doubles as a Bluetooth audio.

Man I’d love to take my setup out there in a boat far enough from anyone and crank it to 11 to share my music with Poseidon and see if I’d get swallowed up by a Meg, lol.

3 Likes

:sunglasses::+1:

1 Like