Help please!

My brother owns an Ibanez SR 640 and the potentiometer went out. I wanted to buy one for him since he couldn’t seem to find one himself. Does anyone know where I could buy one or possibly a part number I can search for online. When I search “Ibanez SR640 potentiometer” on google it pulls up a bunch of parts but I don’t know if any of them are the exact same one he needs. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

1 Like

5 minutes of disassembly will probably be more fruitful than an internet search. :wink:

4 Likes

Try a Google search for

“EQB-II 2-band EQ spare parts”

Might give you more info. I’ve never had to buy a new pot though.

The type of EQ was listed here:

3 Likes

Fujigen-made Ibanez sounds like a great instrument.

3 Likes

Is it the pot that stops working or perhaps it’s the wires or soldering points somewhere may worth opening it up and snapping some pictures. These thing’s hardly stop working.

When you say stop working. Please elaborate. No sound? Or just that pot. If no sound check or swap the battery it’s an active bass when the battery goes out it has no sound.

2 Likes

The tricky part is that he lives in another state and I wanted to surprise him. But if it was here I totally would! If it comes to it I may ask him to take a look and send me pics.

2 Likes

I can’t remember the exact situation, but my dad (who is an electronics engineer) was attempting to repair or reconnect something and I believe he did something accidentally that damaged the pot. My brother was so sad because it was one of his first guitars and now that he’s been playing for 20ish years, it’s pretty sentimental. I do appreciate your suggestions though!

1 Like

I’m going to give this a try!

1 Like

Whoops, I can certainly relate. My Dad has worked with electronics and other gadgets pretty much his whole life. About 15 years ago when CRT TV’s were still around, he tried to “fix” mine after I plugged it in and blew a fuse when the powerboard arced. Instead of putting in the require fuse, he put one in that let through more amps and blew something else. That TV never made it home with me.

I’m sure they’ll be a way to fix or find alterntive parts should you not be able to find something equivalent to the original.

2 Likes

Exactly! I mean: it’s only a pot, one of the simplest parts on earth?!

And if nothing works, it might be a great opportunity to just replace the pickups, electronics and knobs for something better. Maybe EMG has one of their “lego” sets for replacement - it’s just plugging in, nothing complicated!

Replacing stuff can be an addiction - I know :slight_smile:

3 Likes