HELP Sire V7 5 String and Subray 4 4 String

My v7 was a new generation weighed over 10 pounds. Swamp ash body. So you’re probably correct with it depends, but it’s not a generation thing

3 Likes

My Sire P5 is the lightest bass I have… and its awesome

4 Likes

Glad I am not the only one that got a V7 that was overweight.

3 Likes

I don’t doubt it. I don’t have V, but my Jazz-y bass has some heft to it.

Apparently, there are wide discrepancies in what any given Sire V7 will weigh. There are several threads about this on Talk Bass. Here’s what one guy had to say:

There’s a big difference in weight. I had one that was 8lb 13oz. Just bought another that is 9lb 9oz. I asked the guy in the shop (mail order) to weigh all his Sires and the heaviest (same model) was 10lbs 8oz. You really need to get them weighed before you buy. Fabulous basses though.

3 Likes

As for your back, no matter which one you keep, using a good strap can make a big difference with a lot of shoulder and back problems.

If it were me, i would keep both but do the course on whichever one you get along best with. After getting through some or all of the course your tastes could very well change.

Throughout and after the course I frequented 4 different music stores and played at least 30 different basses before i decided on the Fender Jazz bass. I never expected it to be the one for me but after every other bass I played I kept coming back to it and appreciating it more and more.

1 Like

10.2 Pounds. I bought it online last year, would have got the v3 but they were sold out all they had at the time were the V7 Model

3 Likes

Yes, I will do so next months when all the family is out of town I will try out some to see what fits me best. Do you play the 4 or 5 string?

2 Likes

The four string. I haven’t found a five that felt right. Maybe, if I find one in 35" scale it will grab me. But I dont feel like I’m missing anything with only four. So, I haven’t really been looking.

4 Likes

Great advice @eric.kiser

2 Likes

I’m with you, Eric. To each his/her own, but a four-string works just fine for me.

5 Likes

Yeah, I get why @PamPurrs liked it so much. It just felt right to her and think she liked having the extra versatility of note selection. But all the ones I’ve tried felt flubby and I didn’t gell with it. I’ve found four strings to be plenty for me.

I tagged @PamPurrs specifically since she has big love for a five string.

3 Likes

Yes I do indeed! I can get on with a 4 string also, but I really like the extra real estate I get with a fiver. I genuinely miss my Yamaha BB735, but the Ray 5 I have now suits me just fine.

3 Likes

I’ve got a sire m7 5 string, I have a 5 string fretless, I have 3, 4 string basses… Although I have short fat fingers, its the 4 string precision bass I play the vast majority of the time and not the jazz bass with its smaller neck (which is also lighter too). Only you can decide what works best for you :slightly_smiling_face:

I have 5 basses and 6 guitars; I’m not a good person to ask if you should sell something :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks, I have 5 Guitars so I understand that. I came from using guitars since I was in my early teens but, I am just new to the Bass. I want a new adventure. 30 years of guitar is enough. LOL

5 Likes

Only 30 years of guitar? Aw, you’re just a pup.:crazy_face:

2 Likes

I know, I have a number for friends that crossed 60. Lol I am only an intermediate anyway, they put me to shame.

4 Likes

Not as easy as you thought hmm?, lol.

If you are coming from guitar you might like the short scale there are too many favorites. Sterling short scale and fender mustang is definitely top of my list.

2 Likes

I played guitar on and off for years but never really loved it… discovered my love for bass a couple of years ago when I found a good deal on amazon warehouse deals and I wish I’d found it sooner! I played other bass clef instruments when I was younger so I guess it’s not surprising :slight_smile:

2 Likes