HELP Sire V7 5 String and Subray 4 4 String

Thinking about dumping my Sire V7 5 string, just to much for a beginner, I have a Musicman Subray 4, Would it be a good Idea to just get rid of both and get a better 4 string bass? Would this be a good idea or just stick to the Subray 4? I like the thinner neck right now, I have a smaller hand. I have the money to upgrade but I don’t want 2 basses just taking up space.

2 Likes

The Ray4 has a big following and is a great bass for the money.
I’d be tempted to stick with it for now even upgrade the pickup if you want.
@T_dub was your man for all things Ray4 but he’s mia at the moment.
@Al1885 is also definitely worth talking to as well as he has a great deal of Musicman knowledge.

Your other option could be to sell both and buy a bass with a slim neck like a Jazz bass or an Ibanez for example.

Do you feel like you’ve gelled with the Ray4?

5 Likes

There are a lot of good reviews on the forum about the Subray 4 as an upgrade platform. Check out this video and see if you like the sound:

2 Likes

Just started playing the Ray 4, it is much easier and better than the Sire v7 5. Not sure I have bonded to it, but I do believe the jazz bass is the feel I like the most so far. Which Basses do you recommend for the slim neck? I know ibanez is good, and I hear some good things about the Schechter Stiletto. I think I will keep the Ray 4, but I do want to get rid of the v7. Any models you can recommend?

2 Likes

Thanks @Mac

There’s no such thing as “too much for a beginner” as long as the beginner can afford it. In fact in many sports like golf the beginner’s equipment are usually in the most expensive bracket.

That said, when you are new it’s more simple and can be advantageous to use more simple to control instrument. If it was cheap, I’d recommend the Joe Dart signature MusicMan to everyone, lol. Only volume knob.

Sound and tone is subjective, I upgraded my Ray35 to Aguilar and found it to be precisely Meh! Many comes in to play when it comes to pickup upgrades, one of which is the genre of music and how you hear them.

You mentioned smaller hand if you want to stay with the MusicMan camp the SB14 is highly sought after and awesome instrument. They are every bit as great as it’s high end sister of the same name but in reverse order.(inside joke)
Like this one Sterling by Musicman SB14 Bass w/gig bag | Reverb

Here’s mine
Ray35 with Aguilar pickup

Sb14
The black one is Sterling by MusicMan SB14
The blue one is Ernie Ball by MusicMan Sterling. Both feature the same spec pickup and electronics one is import.
The first 2 of black one is the first production year ‘93 featuring Flea bridge with mute kit. The birdseye maple neck was insane.

3 Likes

Yeah, the Birdseye maple is dope. Looks gorgeous!

2 Likes

What’s your budget? There’s many good options out there but it comes down to price point. Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod have an absolute awesome neck, around $1k.

For $650 this player Jazz is an awfully good deal right now

For a precision bass with a Jazz neck this is a good deal for $350

3 Likes

I think it would make a fantastic upgrade bass after watching the video.

3 Likes

I would advise against the idea.

It’s irreversible (desire) and incredibly addictive. Be warn.

1 Like

I have smaller hands and did 80% of Beginner to Badass on a 5-string Schecter. Believe in me who believes in you :smile: All you’re doing is resting your thumb on the 5th/B0 string vs the pickup.

That said, some people just prefer 4-string basses and that’s okay, too.

4 Likes

The Fender Player Jazz Bass Plus has a growl when it is played. Sounds really good.

4 Likes

I went for a Charvel, which is a Fender brand made in the same factory as the Player Plus. The Charvel has a nicer neck and pickups to my tastes, but the player plus is a nice instrument too with some cool finishes

4 Likes

I have an MIA Fender jazz that you will have to pry from my cold dead hands…

3 Likes

The nut width on this Squier is 1.685”. That’s solidly in P width territory, as opposed to a Jazz with a 1.5” nut.

1 Like

Yeah, I was thinking the neck is thin like a a Jazz. I sometimes overlook nut width; my top 5 are 42mm, 39mm, 40mm, 38mm, and 42mm and don’t notice it much, the profile I do notice. And compound radius.

Character flaw I’m sure. The CV 70s is a fast neck.

2 Likes

So should I stick to the 5 string or the 4 String? I have a Sire V7 5 string right now. The neck dive is pretty bad, is that normal on a 5 string or just a Sire?

2 Likes

I have no issues with neck dive on my C-5 GT or my Stiletto Studio where the neck sticks out further than the C-5. Both basses weigh about 9ish lbs with mahogany bodies and maple necks. I’ve only played a Sire M2 4-string, so I can’t really compare.

As for sticking to the 5 or 4, I’m just saying I did basically the whole course on a 5-string and my hands are pretty small, so don’t let that stop you. It could be you don’t get along with the Sire 5-string necks and another brand might suit you better. In that case, ditching the Sire could be wise.

3 Likes

Thanks, I agree, it feels very heavy as well. Weight is well over 10 pounds. I am a older man and feel like it would not be good for my back, which I never thought about till now. LOL

2 Likes

Sires are heavy in general. My 4 string v7 was heavier than my 5 string stream.

It’s not an either or though. If you’re more comfortable with a 4 string, there’s always the option of alternate tuning. Instead of EADG, you can tune to BEAD, eliminate the G string and add a B. Still get the low end.

Takes work to get used to, but so does a 5 string. Everything takes work. Comes down to where you want your time to go. Imo

4 Likes

Not necessarily true.

Older Sires were heavy; the next-generation ones are not.

My Sire M5 with a Swamp Ash body and is well under 8 pounds. My Sire U5 Alder body is also under 8 pounds.

3 Likes