Help. Sire vs Squier [POLL]

I find this too, its uncanny.

1 Like

Beauty of heavy coated neck, I guess, doesnt move much, and tuners are pretty solid.

My Paranormal, Natural is much better, tone-wise and playability than my (gone) Mexi Jazz, Seems a tad lighter but great playing neck, tuners are smooth/tight/ great and tonal possibilities are endless - loved the stacked knobs.2022-07-26T07:00:00Z

I use no pedal save for a Polytune tuner

3 Likes

are you sure ? I’ve never seen painted inlays on a Squier, even the low end ones

not a problem in my opinion

2 Likes

people say they are but I can’t tell on mine.
not that it matters, looks great to me

2 Likes

FWIW - The Fender site calls them ‘block inlays’.
I don’t think you can call paint an inlay and get away with it, but maybe?

1 Like

Lobster whines about the binding. Who cares. It looks awesome either way.

:100:

3 Likes

Woah, necro :rofl:

Yeah both binding and inlays are painted on CV 70s Jazz, however i dont mind it. Looks good.

1 Like

How do you know this for sure?

1 Like

Cuz I own it? And it can be seen with bare eyes? :smiley:

1 Like

Paranormal and CV series are really well done. Even tho pups can sound brash to some ears (personal preference), overall they are well put instruments, better than Mexicans.

My Squier CV 70s Jazz was only setup once when it arrived last year, and I had to do half a turn on truss rod recently cause of unbearable heats. Tuners hold tuning for long time, frets are perfect, even seem rounded on my model.

While with Player Precision I had to take it to luthier to fix fret edges, had to change pickguard cause some edges were awfully finished, and now with flatwounds (50-110) on it I have to check tuning and neck every time I pick it up.

Also lately I prefer lackered “vintage” maple necks, so there’s that.

1 Like

For $20 you can do it yourself. Cheaper than a guitar tech and you have the tool for life.

1 Like

Indeed, very easy to do.

1 Like

I had a Player Jazz in the past, and a Paranormal. Still have the Paranormal. It’s a really nice bass. I picked it up after not playing it for a bit and it’s still pretty much in tune.

I’ve got a Squier CV 60s P, and it’s really solid. I’ve tried Fenders but this is better built to my hands. I had a CV 70s P once upon a time, but did not like the heavily lacquered neck. Would probably still have it if I understood the application of 3m pads at the time.

1 Like

From the ones I’ve played, the main difference between the high end Squier and the MIM Fender is that one says Fender on the headstock.
If that’s important to you then great. It also helps with resale.

3 Likes

Those Sire basses are amazing. My son is a big fan!

2 Likes

Totally agree.
Change out pickups and it doesn’t matter even more

1 Like

yeah I agree too. Squier instruments have become really better since a decade, nothing to compare to the Squier of the 90’s which were beginner instruments (still pretty decent but not much more).

actually I prefer the pickups on the Squier Classic Vibe series, than most Fender MIM pickups. I’m quite impressed by the pickup I have on my FSR Esquire, I’ve never seen such a good pickup at this price tag.

1 Like

Sire offers insanely great value in materials, finish and playability.

2 Likes

Yeah $499 and you get a roasted maple neck. Hard to beat.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MMD5A4BB--sire-marcus-miller-d5-alder-4-string-bass-guitar-butterscotch-blonde

3 Likes