So guys I was in a search for nice Jazz bass since I really love the sound of it, and the one I have really has crap neck with uneven frets, baseball thickness and possibly warped neck. Heck it was 150$ brand new.
So upon my search I realized I really like the look with next things:
- Natural finish, like Marcus Miller’s Fender
- Lackered fretboard (maple)
- Black block inlays
- Black binding in the fretboard
- Passive electronics
- Black pickguard
So I narrowed my search down to two:
In the next part I’m subjective.
- I love the sound
- Lackered neck
- Black binding and block inlays
- Possible CQ issues
- Black binding and inlays are painted
- Possibility that I wont like lackered back side of the neck
- Poplar body (Some people say that natural one has soft maple, but Fenders site says otherwise, seems only 5 stringer is soft maple)
- Real binding and inlays
- Lackered fretboard, satin neck
- Roasted neck
- Alder body
- Awesome CQ as I have heard
- EB Slinkeys come on it from the factory
- More expensive
- I think I like the sound of Squier better
- Ugly headstock shape
- Heard that tuners can go bad quickly
- Model on the videeo looks weird with dark headstock and light fretboard
Sire: 390 Euros + ~60 Euros shipping + Import taxes
Squier: 320 Euros + 20 Euros shipping + Import taxes
Import Tax: 17% of the instrument price + ~50 Euros for administration
I can’t decide myself. Sane mind tells me to go for Sire, but other part of me says Squier.
Now none of them are available atm. Squier should be available in February, Sire in December. However there are Squiers available in black and sunburst right now, but I’m not sure should I go for it.
Why I’m asking for you experiences and opinion, is cause once again I’m forced to buy unseen and trust retailer, and I already had some bad luck with MIM Fender. Regarding Squier retailer said they would check out the instrument for me, if I want it, before shipping.