Help with Paranoid

Trying to cover Paranoid. What is the proper way to play the 3-5-5/ 5-7-7 runs? Do you bar the 2nd notes of each phrase with your ring finger or play them index-ring-pinky? For plucking is index-middle-index better for the reach?

Haven’t tried Paranoid yet. It’s by far my favorite BS song, though. Looks really difficult - fast octaves are my kryptonite.

1 Like

Pretty good tab at Songsterr if anyone is looking.

2 Likes

I’ve always gone index-ring-pinky but I tend to hold the neck ‘wrongly’ i.e. with my thumb pointing towards the head. Might be easier to bar it if you’ve got a proper grip with your thumb pointing up…

I do a little of both, depending on where I am coming from and where I am going.
I am like @Ed where my thumb points to the headstock mostly, but I do try to bar things where I can. Whatever works and whatever sounds good recorded in the mix.
At the speed this song is at, being perfectly clean won’t be heard in the mix anyway.

1 Like

Ran across this last night. About 3 minutes in you get a good shot of Oliver fretting Paranoid.

1 Like

It Depends™ but for a root/5th/8ve i would usually use index, ring, pinky and pluck index, middle, index. If i bar them, i bar with my pinky. There’s no proper way, do whatever is easiest and produces the sound you want.

Stealing

1 Like

Then you might want this one too: Soon™ :smiley:

2 Likes

Soon is already taken. It’s the unofficial motto of the software developer Wargaming. Even their developers use it which is funny.

Yeah I need to sort my left hand technique out a bit. Although to be fair I typically carry the bass lower than this and it’s difficult to get the hand under the neck…

This guy is a fantastic player and his tabs are as close to the real tunes that I’ve ever seen. He plays everything from Cliff Burton, to Les Claypool, to video game covers and makes it all look easy.
I always search his videos when I want to learn a new song first.
Good luck!

1 Like

Not possible, it’s already trademarked by Blizzard entertainment. :smiley:

Actually comes from Byte Magazine, a column Jerry Pournelle used to write back in the 80s

Yeah, CoverSolutions is top notch…

2 Likes

I used to love the columns making fun of Pournelle’s column.

1 Like