Help with Tuning Machine ID

Guys, can you please help me ID these tuners? I’d like to directly replace them with a lighter version to reduce the weight on the headstock.

Helps to know what kind of guitar it’s on. In the absence of that, Hipshot and others have pretty detailed measurements of their hardware that you can download before you buy. Grab a cheap pair of digital calipers from Harbor Freight (or whatever equivalent you have where you are) and then measure/compare the holes on yours. Taking off one of the tuners will help you get the best measurements.

1 Like

Even if we knew the maker you would need to measure. Like tires they come in sizes.

1 Like

Looks like a Schiller style tuner for MusicMan and G&L also uses the same one. Schaller BM

Or Hipshot’s HB-1

1 Like

It looks like very standard Fender style clover tuners, of which there are about a million brands.

1 Like

If I had to guess, I’d say that’s a Harley Benton headstock in that picture.

1 Like

It’s a PJ from Harley Benton that I bought to have an inexpensive bass to learn how to do maintenance.

I asked Gotoh to recommend bridges to replace but they couldn’t help me with the tuners, so I’m trying to figure out my options.

1 Like

You can put just about any tuners on it just line it up and drill new holes. You just have to confirm the size and diameter, fortunately what you have is probably the most common one so no issue there.

Why do you want to change it?

2 Likes

To counter some neck dive and help my back :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh then it’s easy just look for the lite or ultra lite version. Keep in mind some comes with smaller fitting nuts so take a quick measurement. Your HB should be fender standard so just look for that spec.

I think this is the size but you can double check. Add this to your watch list and soon sport hi tech would send your a discount offer. Not sure if your local listing would be even cheaper or not.

1 Like

These look awesome, thank you for the info.
And what do you think of these?

Hi Rob,

The Gotoh tuners seem to have a decent weight, although there are significantly lighter ones. Those come with less screws/fasteners usually (like the one @Al1885 posted), so you drill new screw holes. I’ve done it before and it is fine, especially if this is a project bass.

Happy screwing around. :wink:
Cheers,
Antonio

3 Likes

Thank you Antonio, do you have any specific recommendations?

Not really, I checked the dimensions tab on the Gotoh website and found that the bushings have various widths. Since that’s the part that should fit snugly into the headstock, I’d measure yours and pick one that’s close. There are small differences that should be okay, (17.5 mm vs. 17.6 mm) - maybe someone else can chime in on those tiny differences.

1 Like

As I understand it, imperial units are fuzzy and allow for some tolerance, in contrast to the metric system, which is precise :slight_smile:

So 0.1mm difference should be ok.

2 Likes

We are inching closer to a solution for @Rob150 :wink:

2 Likes

That must be your Dutch side speaking. Your German side would slap your Dutch side upside the head, lol. Luckily, my ABC American born Chinese would say its as close as it gets.

2 Likes

Yeah, no - that’s why the Germans lost the war and we could throw them out. Us Dutch are flexible :slight_smile:

But:

2 Likes