High/Low Setup

Hi, I’m having trouble setting up my ibanez300e for high/low action. Does anybody know?

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @Darkfire2432,
Enjoy the ride.
Someone with that bass will probably be able to help ya out.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Welcome @Darkfire2432
What issue are you having exactly?
There are a good few videos on YouTube that cover bass set up and a subject thread on here too

5 Likes

So I am a newbie bass player, and I just got an Ibanez300e, and I saw a vid on how to set high or low action, but it said you got to find the truss rod I think? So I am wondering on how to get to that essentially

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @Darkfire2432!

4 Likes

The truss rod adjustment is at one end of neck. On your Ibanez it is at the headstock end (assuming that you have an SR300E), underneath a little triangle shaped plastic cover, which is held on with 3 screws - tiny and easy to lose screws (experience talking here).

With the cover off you can access the adjustment with a hex key (allen wrench). If you bought your bass new it should have come with the proper size key. If not, you’ll have to find one. Make absolutely certain that you have the correct size. If you strip out the adjustment keyhole you’re, well, totally screwed.

Essentially you’re going to put a capo on at the first fret, hold the E string down at the last fret, and measure the gap between the string and the 8th fret. You want around .010" for a really low action, .020" for a medium action, and .020" or so for a relatively high action. Turn the truss rod adjustment clockwise to decrease the gap and counterclockwise to increase it.

After getting the truss rod just right, you will then adjust the string height at the bridge saddles, followed by setting the intonation and finally checking the pickup height.

This sounds very complex but is actually quite simple - once you have done it a few times. Adjusting the truss rod can be scary the first time you do it.

As @Mac mentioned, there are videos on YouTube (a lot!) that show exactly how to do all of this, a lot more clearly than I can explain it.

Welcome to the community!

6 Likes

A lot of us have used Marcelo’s videos.

6 Likes

thank you guys so much, man I love the community here. You guys are awesome :slight_smile:

3 Likes