High vs. Low Action on Low Frets and the Nut

My pleasure!

4 Likes

check check, he is holding down fret 17 and 1 and checking the 7th as well
my Ibanez manual also specifies the 7th

but in the end it is about what plays best

4 Likes

Yep, that’s why I never bothered to buy feeler gauges. It’s easy to do by eye like in Marcelo’s video, and then it’s all about feel after that.

3 Likes

Idk if it’s been mentioned already or not, but a capo is a very useful tool to help when holding the string down to check the gap.
Capo on the first fret, sand you can use one hand to hold the string down, and the free hand (that otherwise would be fretting the first) to press lightly on the string over 7, 12, 5-6-8-9-10-11-15-17, wherever else you want to check for gap.
Again, may have been covered in another post, or one of the videos (the guns and guitars mentions it, but not sure about Marcello’s or the Bass Wiz’s vid), if so nvm.:thinking::joy:

1 Like

If you have a capo that would be convenient. I don’t but it’s never been an issue; I fret the neck at the body with my pinky and tap between the 10th and 9th with my thumb, watching the string over the 7th. Seems to work ok. But if you have a capo, use it, yeah :slight_smile:

Remember that this initial adjustment (either this way, or by a pro luthier on a bench with a capo and feeler gauges) gets you in the ballpark, but for a final adjustment, you just need to see how it feels. Even gauged exactly to factory spec, some people will want it flatter, some with more relief.

2 Likes